Stories of when you started running

Options
BreannaJohnson1030
BreannaJohnson1030 Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I started "running" and I was hitting some bumps in the road i was wondering if anyone else can tell me your stories of how you started out and where it got you? I need motivation, i was also wondering if anyone else set a goal like to run a 5K in a specific time frame or anything like that and if it helped?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    When I started running it was b/c I wanted to see if I could. When I realized I could do it, I signed up for a sprint triathlon and started training. I had paid my entry fee so I wasn't going to back out. It was so fun and now I'm addicted to running outside. I now try to do run a 5k a month to keep myself motivated. I've done a 10k trail race and a couple 8k runs as well. It is definitely motivating when you know you've got a race coming up and you want to finish strong. good luck!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I started running because we had to be able to run a mile for PT when I did AmeriCorps*NCCC. The YMCA had an 1/8th-mile track so I just started by running once around and then walking once around and repeating. Then worked my way up - 2 runs 1 walk, 3 runs 1 walk - very slowly, until I could run a mile. Don't quit. When I wanted to quit, I'd just run slower. Were there times when I was "running" slower than I could walk? Yes. But mentally I was running, and physically it made it much easier to keep going.

That was 15 years ago.

Running is now my happy place. I don't always want to do it, but it always makes me feel better, stronger, more capable, happier. I've run a marathon and six or seven half-marathons and a bunch of 5Ks and sprint triathlons and a few Olympic triathlons. I'm always at the back of the pack, but I don't care about that. I'm there because it's fun and feels great and is punching my crap genetics in the face, not because I want to beat anyone else.

Keep going.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking a lot because I was pretty out of shape...I signed up for a Turkey Trot 5K just weeks after I started walking and walked most of it, but jogged at least a mile. After that I started working with a C25K program to get me ready to run a 5K at my local JCC...I was very slow, but I ran the whole thing. I did another couple 5Ks and a mud run and started training for a sprint triathlon (note this training didn't start until I had been training for about 8 or 9 months and I was moving into maintenance with my diet as I had lost nearly 40 Lbs).

It was during my tri training that I fell in love with cycling...I ultimately was injured and never did get to participate in that event, but I fell in love with my bike and have never looked back. I run now about once per week to cross train and because I would eventually like to participate in a sprint tri...but really, my passion lies with my bike and while I enjoy participating in the odd mud run here and there (mostly because I like getting muddy and beer tents), I much more enjoy participating in various cycling events these days.

I find that, regardless of discipline (running, swimming, cycling, etc)...signing up for events is beneficial in that your mindset changes from, "I have to go workout...ugh" to "I gotta train for this event or it's going to kick my *kitten*"...it's a great motivator.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I ran track in 7th grade, the first year schools in Michigan had inner scholastic sports. That was, damn, the late 80s.

It was a year till I found my race distance, and another 5 till I raced longer than a half mile.

I went from being a slow sprinter to 55 second quarters, 2:15 halfs and 18:00 5ks over those 6 years. Unless you're 11, YMMV :wink:

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I decided to start running a few years ago and followed C25K until I could run 5K more or less comfortably, then decided that was good enough and did that once or twice a week more or less regularly for a while. Then, something came over me at the end of September this year and I got a half-marathon plan online and started training for that, and last week I ran 14 miles/23K for the first time.

I need a training plan to improve, as it turns out. Figuring it out on my own wasn't really getting me anywhere.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ran track in high school because it is what my friends were doing.

Ran a 10k after college to get less fat.

Ran a half marathon after seeing people getting medals for it at the 10k (I wanted a medal!)

Ran a marathon after I was dared to sign up during half training.

Ran an ultra after getting drunk and signing up for Comrades in South Africa.

and really since then its been drinking and daring.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I skipped out of the 1-mile run in gym class every single year, so until 2014 I had never run a mile in my life. I decided to attempt the C25K program for the hell of it...and shocked the hell out of myself to learn I actually like to run! And, even better, I don't completely suck at it. :smiley:

Since doing C25K last year, I've done a bunch of 5K and 10K races, a couple half marathons, and 3 sprint triathlons...because, as it turns out, I also really like cycling and swimming. I'm going to start a full marathon training program in a few weeks.

To answer your second question, I definitely set mini-goals for myself along the way to stay motivated. I am nearly always "in training" for something, and it has really helped turn daily exercise into a true lifestyle change.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I started running for the college program I was taking. I had to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes to graduate. I had never run. I would go to the track and try to run as fast as I could for as long as I could and ended up with shin splints. The doctor told me to rest, so I would. Then I'd run again and get shin splints. The rest ate up my time before I left for school. I couldn't run a half mile without stopping when I left. The first week there I ran the whole 1.5 miles, but over the alloted time. We had to run every morning, pain or no pain. Eventually it just went away. I busted my *kitten* and managed to run 1.5 miles in 11:15 for graduation.

I do wish I had known about a program like C25K back then. The way I went about it was all wrong, but I got there.

After school I kept running, the most was 5k. I got a job away from home and joined a bootcamp class. Some of the women there were training for a half marathon and asked me to join. I thought it was insane but signed up, finished it and moved home the next day.

I've pretty much been running since. I've had my ups and downs, including being hit by a car while running. I've been in shape and out of shape more than once. I've been slower than slow (I've finished last), I've been faster (for me). I only recently actually started trying to get faster.

As for your question on goals - it depends on the person. Personally, I've done better with running and training when I have a goal/race. Not everyone is like that.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As you can see from these stories, everybody started somewhere. I hope that alone is enough to get you over those humps. And thanks for posing this question because it made me think a lot about how far I've come as a runner.

I remember when I started running, I lived in my first solo apartment in Atlanta. That was 1997. I could barely make it out of the complex without stopping for a walk break. But I kept at it and got better little by little. It's crazy to look back and think of all of the different places I have run. 5 moves, 2 states, one marriage, 2 surgeries, three marathons, and literally thousands of miles later, I am still running. I hope I never have to quit!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I started running because I told myself I couldn't. I don't really have any stories. I started like many with c25k, then b210k and now working on a half marathon. I love it. it's a quiet space. It's a time where i can let things go and I can start the day with a feeling of accomplishment.
    one story, falling is part of running, but I did fall in front of a busy restaurant. everyone saw. oh that was a sinking feeling.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in November of 2013. Before that I couldn't keep running past half a mile, but because I had that deadline coming up, I was able to focus on training and ran the whole thing (ok, I walked like 30 seconds of it). I've gotten out of shape again, but I can still easily run a mile without stopping. It never leaves you unless you totally deteriorate.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I started running in high school. My hometown had 2 middle schools (7-9) that funneled into the same high school (10-12). My best friend and I both played football for different middle schools and I was excited to finally play with him in high school. He dropped football for cross country going into 10th grade and I actually switched from football to cross country (not even knowing what it was) the morning of the first practice because I would rather do something unknown with friends than something I loved alone. Another childhood friend had been doing cross country since 7th grade so I had a great core of friends in the sport from day 1. It worked out pretty well for me, I made varsity after the first or second meet and never let go of my spot. I fluctuated between being the 2nd/3rd fasted guy on the team.

Then I got fat and lazy during college and the first couple years out of school. I started running again in 2013 to help with losing weight and ended up checking off a bucket list item by completing a full marathon in 2014.

I haven't run very much this year because my knees are screaming for the next 2 days every time I run, so... that makes me sad. My family has a history of very poor knees (3 meniscus surgeries between my parents, my grandpa has had multiple knee replacements) and I beat them to hell as a kid with skateboarding (a lot of hard impacts), distance running and basketball (1 hyper-extension).
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25k, I have run multiple times and still have some difficulty. I have my first 5k on December 6th, luckily it is very casual and not times. After that I have 2 5k's in June to celebrate my 30th birthday. I'm an extremely slow runner but I'm hopeful and setting small goals to start.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Running is a necessary evil

I love cycling and swimming. Running is meh...

I started running to be able to do shorter triathlons. I started slowly and was sensitive to knee stress.

I don't run often but run a 10K once a week minimum. I get my legs worked on the bike so the run is just to keep me at a base level of training thru the winter

I like less often running but longer run distances.

In March it will be back to 80 mile ride and 8 mile run. But only once a week to run that brick.

Some deal better with the high impact of running. I just don't enjoy more than a 5K for a morning run.

I know my limits
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This year I started doing lots more walking.

On September 22 I was walking and suddenly felt like I really needed to go faster. So I ran 500 metres. I was knackered, and I was hooked.

Since then I've run/walked six 5 km parkruns, and a 10 km funrun.

Today I ran about 4 of the 5 km of the hardest parkrun in the country and beat my personal best time. Feeling fabulous!

I hope to be able to run a full 5 km before Christmas, if not in the next 2 weeks.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner. ANY amount of running made me feel ill and like my lungs would explode. But, I love to cycle and am good at that. Some friends wanted to do a sprint triathalon but I was busy and couldn't sign up. The next year I actually moved to the city the triathalon was hosted in, so I decided to train for it. And I was going on a Disney Cruise and they always do a 5k on Castaway Cay, so I decided I'd give running a try.

I started with a half of a mile. There's a park near my house with a half mile lap, so my first goal was to finish one lap. The next week was two laps, then three the next week, until I could make 6 laps without stopping. It got easier every week.

I did the 5k but the triathalon was canceled that year and the next. Hopefully they'll host one this spring, if they ever figure out the lake.

In the meantime, I've started doing sprint intervals on the treadmill at the gym before my spin class. I LOVE it. In fact, I dropped at 45lb plate on my toe in May and had to take several weeks off from running. I did continue spinning and was honestly jealous of the runners on the treadmill, and as soon as I felt better started running again. I NEVER would have thought that I would love running so much.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Started running back in July, couldn't run for more than 5 mins non stop before I started and pretty much like others I did it because I wanted to prove I could. Ran my first 10k race last weekend in and hour and 10 mins. Have just signed up for a trail 10k next March, plan to try and beat my previous speed by 5 mins if I can. Going to try sprint intervals on the treadmill to get my speed up. Am hooked!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had been a runner when I was young. Probably 21-28 years old. Did 5K and 10K races when I could afford them. Then some knee issues hit and the doc suggested I stop.
    I stayed active. Lifted weights, cycling etc.

When I was about 45 I started walking a lot.One day I had done a 50 mile bike race and got tendinitis in my knee. I was having some X-rays done and the doc suggested it wasn't so much knee problems as hip problems. he suggested popping my hips before workouts, and wearing minimal, neutral, shoes.
    I rested. The tendinitis healed.
    Anyway, something about the doc saying it wasn't really my knees (well it is now due to wear and tear in my 20s, but wasn't initially). One day I was on the treadmill on a cold rainy day and I just started jogging. Did about 10 minutes. A few days later I did the same thing outside. Then I kept doing it.

I've been running 3-6 miles a few times a week for about the last 5 years give or take. No real issues. No knee pain. When I run on the treadmill I do it in socks. When I run outside I run in Brooks pure connect shoes. Minimal/neutral.

This past six months have been tough, with menopausal insomnia, and my running has suffered, but I do manage to get up and out there a few days a week. I aim for at least 40 miles a month, which isn't much, but I'm happy with it. And I don't care about my speed.

(I still do weight training)
  • Working2BLean
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    This year I started doing lots more walking.

On September 22 I was walking and suddenly felt like I really needed to go faster. So I ran 500 metres. I was knackered, and I was hooked.

Since then I've run/walked six 5 km parkruns, and a 10 km funrun.

Today I ran about 4 of the 5 km of the hardest parkrun in the country and beat my personal best time. Feeling fabulous!

I hope to be able to run a full 5 km before Christmas, if not in the next 2 weeks.

That is awesome !!!

• Working2BLean
    Options
    I've never been a runner. ANY amount of running made me feel ill and like my lungs would explode. But, I love to cycle and am good at that. Some friends wanted to do a sprint triathalon but I was busy and couldn't sign up. The next year I actually moved to the city the triathalon was hosted in, so I decided to train for it. And I was going on a Disney Cruise and they always do a 5k on Castaway Cay, so I decided I'd give running a try.

I started with a half of a mile. There's a park near my house with a half mile lap, so my first goal was to finish one lap. The next week was two laps, then three the next week, until I could make 6 laps without stopping. It got easier every week.

I did the 5k but the triathalon was canceled that year and the next. Hopefully they'll host one this spring, if they ever figure out the lake.

In the meantime, I've started doing sprint intervals on the treadmill at the gym before my spin class. I LOVE it. In fact, I dropped at 45lb plate on my toe in May and had to take several weeks off from running. I did continue spinning and was honestly jealous of the runners on the treadmill, and as soon as I felt better started running again. I NEVER would have thought that I would love running so much.

Oh that is rough!

Cancelled your Tri!!

I would be sad...

My year end one won't get cancelled

There are lots of Sprints and a few Olympics here

I hope you are able to run some of them. The bug bites hard.

I got my first really good Tri bike. Super anxious to see how it helps my run transition.