so confused about how many calories to eat! Between Fitbit, NEAT, TDEE, or 1200! Too much info

Options
2»

Replies

• algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    TDEE. Oops
  • algrif37
    Options
    As far as my activity level I am in the boot and walking some during daily activities Right now my Fitbit says 6300 steps taken today at 545 pm. Which is a bit more than usual.
  • algrif37
    Options
    I typed your information into scoobys calculator. It says your BMR is 1670 and your TDEE 2004. Do you fee hungry a lot? If so I would start out slow and just go with a 1800 calorie a day goal. If you think you will be fine on a deficit try 1600 a day.
    I typed your information into scoobys calculator. It says your BMR is 1670 and your TDEE 2004. Do you fee hungry a lot? If so I would start out slow and just go with a 1800 calorie a day goal. If you think you will be fine on a deficit try 1600 a day.

When I type in my information it gives me a BMR of 1440 and TDEE of 1728. Am I doing it wrong or using the wrong calculator?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    algrif37 wrote: »

When I type in my information it gives me a BMR of 1440 and TDEE of 1728. Am I doing it wrong or using the wrong calculator?

I get 1500 as your BMR with a TDEE of 1800 set at sedentary with a target based on a 20% cut from TDEE of 1440 in the Scooby Calculator.

Female
    172 Lbs
    65 inches tall
    "desk job with little exercise"
    20% calorie reduction
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Methods for calculating BMR:

The Harris-Benedict Equation
    The Katch-McArdle Equation
    The Mifflin-St Jeor Equation
    The Cunningham Formula

MFP uses the 3rd, but if you pull up an online calculator depending on which method it uses: slightly different results. The main thing is to try something for 4-6 weeks and assess based on results.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I just used this MFP self-guided set up. It assigned me a number of calories. (1200) And it's working. I don't know how the fitbit works with this system, but others do, I'm sure.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,863 Member
    Options
    Go ahead. Be brave. Link the two.

Set mfp to 1lb a week (based on what you said about your tdee an appropriate goal will be between 0.5 and 1 lb a week)

Eat what mfp and fitbit tell you. Eat your complete fitbit adjustment.

Use a weight trend application to judge your progress.

Since you use fitbit you can autolink www.trendweigh.com which I use and www.weightgrapher.com. at the same time!

Log as accurately as you can weighting your food, using verified database entries, and verifying the database entries you use in your own.

After four to six weeks that include at least one menstrual cycle (by preference two), evaluate your expected deficit (as displayed by fitbit in the weekly summaries and in your calories in vs calories out status page for the past 30 days) and compare to what trendweight and weightgrapher say.

Adjust, rince, lather, and repeat.

Deal with your eating in mfp. Your exercise in fitbit.

Good luck.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So much great feedback thank you!! I need to sit down and look at all my settings. What is the scooby site may I ask??

Scooby's Workshop
  • algrif37
    Options
    Ok so the scooby site gives me 1436 calories a day for a 20% reduction from TDEE. Oh and apparently I'm only 5'4" not 5'5" sadly. MFP gives me 1200 calories a day for 2 lb/week loss or 1280 for a 1 lb/week loss. Does that sound right? What would 1436 give me??
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ok so the scooby site gives me 1436 calories a day for a 20% reduction from TDEE. Oh and apparently I'm only 5'4" not 5'5" sadly. MFP gives me 1200 calories a day for 2 lb/week loss or 1280 for a 1 lb/week loss. Does that sound right? What would 1436 give me??

MFP doesn't really give you two pounds per weeK. You're welcome to set it to 2 pounds per week but you'll notice underneath in bright red that it calculates your estimated loss as lower than 2 pounds. With the amount you have to lose and your height it is unlikely that you will be able to lose at 2 pounds per week, but that's not a bad thing it's generally safer to lose less than that per week. MFP won't let you go below 1200 calories per day so if getting you a 1000 calorie deficit would cause you to go below 1200 it will simply set you at 1200 and ignore your desire to lose 2 pounds per week. But don't get discouraged and certainly do not eat below 1200 as that is unsafe, because 1 pound per week is perfectly adequate and much healthier and safer for someone your height and weight.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Example: I am set at 1200 per day for the time being and even though my goal is to lose two pounds per week MFP notes underneath that it expects me to lose 1.1 pounds per week. That's because in order to create a thousand calories per day deficit I would have to eat below 1200 which is unsafe so MFP will not allow it regardless of my weekly goal being set at 2 pounds per week.
  • algrif37
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have MFP linked with my Fitbit and my goal as 2 lbs per week which gives me 1200. It won't be that every day and probably will be less than 2 lbs a week but I'll have my Fitbit steps to help me. For now I'll do 1200 and eat half my exercise calories back if I feel I need them or need an extra
  • bigjeff6469
    bigjeff6469 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i know your frustrations and i have been going thru the same confusion. I have tried different calculators and even went to a nutrition shop to have a body scan and still walked out scratching my head on what is what. The one thing i am more clear on is my BMR is 2100-2200 cal. As for my TDEE i get anywhere from 2400 to 4600 cal depending on what site you use. I am a 36 yr old 6'4" 324.6lbs male in case anyone wants to use my example (it would be appreciated). and on another note i find it interesting that MFP gives me 2180 cal a day yet that is right where my BMR is. I havent gone over the daily limit and i have been hovering between 1200 and 1600 a day (medicine assisted). Now comes the other can of worms cuz i get blasted for not eating my BMR and "Starvation Mode" is gonna keep me from losing i have heard.. i have only recently started CICO and counting my cal and trying to stay precise but the whole this number this and that number that can get you in a rut quick.