Strength training

Options
Hand weights or machines?

Replies

• ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Generally you would ask "free weights or machines?" Both, unless your goal is very specific or you have physical limitations. Acrually to start, free weights most of the time. Keep reading, researching, and learning. The question shows inexperience and lack of basic lifting knowledge. Nonetheless, always keep asking questions.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you are at home, don't invest huge money on fancy machines. Buy a basic dumbbell kit and a nice bench and off you go.
    If your gym has these fancy machines, they can be amazing to hit muscles that are a little more difficult to isolate with free weights. Some people find machines safer, if used properly you may find it easier to keep good form, and get a wide range of motion.
    Simple answer....both are amazing. I know very few people who do one or the other exclusively when they have access to a gym.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What are these machines you speak of? Free weights for the win!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A combination of the two. With free weights you also have the balance element, an added plus.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    Generally you would ask "free weights or machines?" The question shows inexperience and lack of basic lifting knowledge.

Maybe that's why he's asking in this forum. Perhaps he just wanted an answer to a question and not a critique of the way in which he asked it.

Your response shows inexperience and a lack of basic tactfulness, understanding, or consideration.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Both. I can isolate on some machines better. 90% free weights though.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    At home, I only have free weights, a set of adjustable dumbbells that are just awesome.
    When I used to do gym workouts, I used both. It all depended on the move I was doing. For instance, when I was trying to get better at pull-ups, doing a lat pulldown at a machine worked well at building up the strength so that I could eventually transition to the pull-up bar. On the other hand, I would switch to free weights to do back flys or rows to work the other areas of my back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I only use free weights for my main lifts..I have other attachments for isolation moves such as tri pushdown or leg lifts etc but those are not used often.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Primary - barbells
    secondary - dumbbells
    as needed - machines
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »

It's been discussed a lot before, so search the forum if you want to find the endless debates. The general consensus is that freeweights are usually better for newbies, although the exact method (barbells, dumbbells, etc) isn't so important. Even some cable machines can provide similar benefits as freeweights. And not all freeweight exercises are particularly valuable. Follow a pro-designed program for best results, instead of creating your own. A good program for your age bracket is New Rules of Lifting for Life. If your hand weights are under 10 lbs, you'll probably outgrow them soon, so consider investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go to 20+ lbs. each hand (craigslist, walmart, etc). :+1:
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    alizesmom wrote: »

It's been discussed a lot before, so search the forum if you want to find the endless debates. The general consensus is that freeweights are usually better for newbies, although the exact method (barbells, dumbbells, etc) isn't so important. Even some cable machines can provide similar benefits as freeweights. And not all freeweight exercises are particularly valuable. Follow a pro-designed program for best results, instead of creating your own. A good program for your age bracket is New Rules of Lifting for Life. If your hand weights are under 10 lbs, you'll probably outgrow them soon, so consider investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go to 20+ lbs. each hand (craigslist, walmart, etc). :+1:

Taking your advice, ordered the book.