Tib/fib injury

Options
I broke my tib/fib eight years ago and have two plates and 20 screws. It appears that my increased activity is causing friction at the top of the plate causing a good amount of pain and swelling. X-rays confirm the screws are not loose and no other apparent damage. I will be getting an appointment with the surgeon who made the repair and am a little worried that he will recommend removing the plate. Has anyone in MFP world experienced anything similar?

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes - I have had plates and screws in both ankles and for a Tib- Fib bone graft - 3 separate incidents. Each time I had the hardware removed after a year or so. The bones where healed by then & I felt it would be better & stronger in the long run to get that stuff out. The bones will remodel and fill the screw holes just as they repaired the break and be stronger without the screws. I would say get the surgery, the healing will be a lot quicker then before - you won't have a broken bone , just an incision. Eastcoast Jim
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Jim. I will know more when I sit down with the orthopedic surgeon. Leaning towards having them removed since this pain will only get worse. I had a flare up about a year ago that got pretty intense. Just not looking forward to another surgery.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Though mine's a bit different, I also felt better after hardware removal. I have an intramedullary nail in my tibia. I had 4 screws locking it in place. I also became symptomatic when I increased activity. Getting the screws removed was a relief and I don't regret it a bit. Still have the nail, though.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    Thank you, Jim. I will know more when I sit down with the orthopedic surgeon. Leaning towards having them removed since this pain will only get worse. I had a flare up about a year ago that got pretty intense. Just not looking forward to another surgery.

You are welcome - You will be happier with the hardware out of there, you don't need it any more - Just do upper body training for a few days after the surgery. Nice guns by the way - Eastcoast Jim