Losing weight for external validation???

Options
13»

Replies

• emmargest
    emmargest Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm glad this discussion is happening. I love the body positivity movement--but I just feel like it's denial to say that weight doesn't factor into health. I've worked at a hospital for 5+ years (with many overweight and obese patients) and grown up with obese family members. I can say that the quality of life that I desired and the quality of life I would have at the weight I was at are two vastly different things.

Body Positivity is a great thing. The idea that you can "shame" a person into a healthier body is absolutely false--they've done studies to prove it. Shame not only prevents weight loss, it tends to cause weight gain. So in that sense, the body positivity movement is a beautiful thing. I just wish that I didn't feel shamed for talking about weight loss in a Body Positive community--choosing to lose weight is choosing to love my body. Furthermore--choosing to lose weight doesn't put down another person who is overweight. This is my journey. Your journey is yours. Both are beautiful regardless of where they take us, and both should be celebrated.

All of that being said--I do agree with the youtuber in the sense that it's a huge bummer that this model claimed one thing and then went a different direction.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    ^^
    I don't see it that way though. I don't think it's wrong for the model to say plus size is great, but then make the choice to slim down. As long as the individual is healthy, then who cares? Both can be ok, right? Does it have to be one side of the fence or the other???

And as far as health goes, I don't know who the model she's referring to is but from what I've seen of plus size models, they really aren't all that heavy! They're just an average sized woman's size.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't like this woman. I should probably type out why but I'm too lazy. And it would probably offend some.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't like this woman. I should probably type out why but I'm too lazy. And it would probably offend some.

No. Please do. We need more honesty around here.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    emmargest wrote: »
    All of that being said--I do agree with the youtuber in the sense that it's a huge bummer that this model claimed one thing and then went a different direction.

Bummer I guess and it would have maybe been something to address the issue head on. I have a feeling some of her fans wouldn't be pleased no matter what she said, though. Does she owe them her body? What about her health?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Bummer I guess and it would have maybe been something to address the issue head on. I have a feeling some of her fans wouldn't be pleased no matter what she said, though. Does she owe them her body? What about her health?

Also, are people not allowed to change their minds, to evolve and grow and develop new goals? Really, it's a bummer that somebody with whom you've not had any personal contact and whose body has no influence on or power over your life decided to lose weight and then talk about it in public? How is that a bummer?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

Also, are people not allowed to change their minds, to evolve and grow and develop new goals? Really, it's a bummer that somebody with whom you've not had any personal contact and whose body has no influence on or power over your life decided to lose weight and then talk about it in public? How is that a bummer?

Exactly.

David Bowie started out as a mime. Where would we be today if that's all we let him be?
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    She's in denial, like so many of us were at her age. Stay large, girl! Enjoy! But everything is gonna start to hurt in a few years. That's just the facts. We all have our own learning curve. I do feel bad for her. At least I don't have access to a video of myself, 20+ years younger, ranting about 'fat justice.' Justice. Hahahaha!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    HAES and their victim mentality *sighs*

This.

I watched the video and she seems angry, and is projecting a lot of what she thinks other's intentions are.

I like being a smaller person because i'm in better health, I move better, and I think I look darned good!
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I found this woman extremely annoying and I couldn't make it through the whole video.