Do you weigh your food?

Options

Replies

• RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I measure most things (don't eat potato's so that isn't an issue, lol!) with kitchen implements but I don't have a scale. Pasta and cereal were the big eye openers for me!
    I don't have a scale because most of meat that I have to "eyeball" is boneless skinless chicken breast and I could use more lean protein in my diet anyway.
    I use measuring cups and spoons every day and that has helped me tremendously! If my weight loss plateaus then I would consider getting a scale but for now I am happy with my progress.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    For the first 3 months, I was eyeballing my food also. When I finally got my food scale, I realized that I was logging in more of what I was actually eating. Now that I have a scale, I weigh everything that I can. I started eating potato chips -according to the package it says about 11 chips per serving..well that was wrong..it was more like 6 chips (28g). Buying a food scale has been one of my best purchases as well.

The other week I had chips, and mine was the opposite. It said about 17 chips, and I had more like 30 chips after weighing it. I think it was because sometimes the chips in the bags get broken. I was excited to see how full my plate was! haha
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Meant to put in the original post... I weigh everything, and the scale makes it easy... for my protein smoothies I put the cup on and zero the scale, add yogurt to the weight I want... zero the scale... add frozen berries to the weight I want... zero.... add protein powder... zero... add juice if I want more of a drink than a spoon required item.... blend and drink. Cereal is add the bowl... zero... add the cereal... zero... add the berries.... enjoy... don't dirty any additional cups or spoons by adding it all straight to what its being eaten from.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Nope. I agree with what you said, in fact I think I have a food scale somewhere. may just pull it out when cooking.........mmmmmm

On the other hand years ago when I lost 60 lbs on WW I never weighed my food either. For me I think it's just the attempt at portion control makes all the difference in the world. Couple that with the fact that I am eating more frequent, smaller meals and I no longer feel the need to pile a bunch of food on my plate means I've cut down considerably. I also have always been a bit of an amateur foodie so I can eyeball tsp & tbsp pretty accurately.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I was also surprised when I started weighing my food, but for the opposite reason. Especially with meat, I was WAY OVERESTIMATING. As a prime example, I was registering 2oz of pork chop as 4oz. Way to gyp myself! I could've eaten double! I also LOVE my measuring cups.

I think a lot of people do this too. I would do this a lot with stuff like grated cheese, or like taco meat. I look back and think "no wonder I was so hungry!" lol.
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    I weigh everything! I have to. The nutrition counselor was very specific in how much food I was supposed to eat. I weigh everything in grams and yes, the portions are SMALL!!!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm an oddball I guess. I don't weigh my food. I have an older scale and keep meaning to purchase a digital, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm still losing - albeit I suppose I'd lose more if I were to weigh my food.

As someone else said before me, it's helped me to be more mindful and moderate. Snacking on empty calories has stopped and that's helped me as well. Moreover, I'm exercising now and I never did before. It truly is a life change for me.

However, I do have to invest in a scale - sooner rather than later. :)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I do measure some. The measuring has given me some insight on portions (I was disappointed to see how little cereal is actually in a cup) and what I should be aiming for.

Added oils, sauces etc. I measure by a conventional set of spoons, making sure not to overfill.

I measure dry and wet ingredients by cup measures. My breakfast is almost always cereal, almond milk and berries. All of it is measured but not weighed. I use bulk Greek yogurt and just divide the container into rough portions, knowing that I am over or under on some servings.

Honestly, I do not weigh or measure or weigh most of my fruits and vegetables, and they constitute a large portion of my diet. I know that if I have a piece of pita bread (or an apple or a zucchini) and the estimate count per serving is 100 calories, I could be getting plus or minus, since they are not uniform in size. This has been okay for me since I have a tendency to over-estimate (I know the literature says people underestimate, you'll just have to trust that I don't) my calories.

I completely understand why people measure and weigh and I wholly support their choice to do so. For me, to do so would lead to obsessive behavior with negative consequences since I have struggled with eating disorders. NOT weighing and measuring (controlling) every piece of piece of food that I put in my mouth is actually a healthy step for me. Otherwise, I would be counting out alfalfa sprouts one by one or shaving little pieces of carrots until I reached a "perfect" weight.
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!

I like egg and chips as an easy dinner - I started weighing the oven chips. According to the bag one serving is 125g. That's about 6 chips (fries)! I now have a 300g portion and I still think it's measly.

Boooo!

(I was pleased to see though that my idea of a decent sized protion of pasta was only 100g compared with the suggested 75g. Phew!)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure my food, yes.
    At first, I thought it was a big pain but now I'm rather addicted.

I find I can have more food like frozen fruits and veggies if I weigh them rather than go by the cup measurements.

I've also found that the portion sizes listed on food packaging (like fish fillets) is not the size of the actual portion.
    For the trout fillets for instance, the portion size is 120 g but I've yet to find one that isn't over this.
    I've been pleasantly surprised however, by how much shrimp I can have.

I like weighing and measuring. It appeals to my anal side.
    Take that however you wish. :bigsmile:
  • cjdavies82
    cjdavies82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my food, the mistake I made before was weighing uncooked chicken, I'm aiming for 100g and weighed to that, after cooking it I thought it was tiny so weighed it again and it was only 50g.

I may buy myself an eletric scale for a more accurate result.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Investing in our food scale, is probably one of THE best choices I ever made. If you've got a problem with portions (ME!), I think it's the best thing you can do for yourself.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Meant to put in the original post... I weigh everything, and the scale makes it easy... for my protein smoothies I put the cup on and zero the scale, add yogurt to the weight I want... zero the scale... add frozen berries to the weight I want... zero.... add protein powder... zero... add juice if I want more of a drink than a spoon required item.... blend and drink. Cereal is add the bowl... zero... add the cereal... zero... add the berries.... enjoy... don't dirty any additional cups or spoons by adding it all straight to what its being eaten from.

That is the advantage of the scale! love it
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I now weigh nearly everything in grams for even more accuracy for myself. So instead of putting my veggies in a measuring cup I now weigh everything! What a huge difference and makes it so much easier.

My Salter brand scale switches over from grams to oz. Chicken I weight in oz., certain other types of food I weigh in grams as it's too easy to shove too much into the measuring cups without realizing it. :blushing:

Works for me:happy:
  • princess4mimi
    Options

Thanks for the tips, when I finally get one I will DEFINITELY WANT TO IMPLEMENT THIS STRATEGY!!!!!! Yay!!! :-)
  • serenademechris
    Options
    Yes, I weigh and measure most of my meals. I bought a digital scale. I had plateaued in my weight loss ab out a month ago, so I started measuring my food. I noticed a BIG difference in my weight loss.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't weight my food. To me, it's just too much. I have been known to measure out mashed potatoes or whatever when I have it the first time, but I don't weigh chicken or anything like that. I tend to go more for items that have an exact amount (like 25 pieces vs ounces).

I just don't feel like - for me - it is necessary. And since I can't take it with me everywhere I go, I don't want to rely too heavily on it. I figure if I'm close - it's good enough for me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I do measure some. The measuring has given me some insight on portions (I was disappointed to see how little cereal is actually in a cup) and what I should be aiming for.

Added oils, sauces etc. I measure by a conventional set of spoons, making sure not to overfill.

I measure dry and wet ingredients by cup measures. My breakfast is almost always cereal, almond milk and berries. All of it is measured but not weighed. I use bulk Greek yogurt and just divide the container into rough portions, knowing that I am over or under on some servings.

Honestly, I do not weigh or measure or weigh most of my fruits and vegetables, and they constitute a large portion of my diet. I know that if I have a piece of pita bread (or an apple or a zucchini) and the estimate count per serving is 100 calories, I could be getting plus or minus, since they are not uniform in size. This has been okay for me since I have a tendency to over-estimate (I know the literature says people underestimate, you'll just have to trust that I don't) my calories.

I completely understand why people measure and weigh and I wholly support their choice to do so. For me, to do so would lead to obsessive behavior with negative consequences since I have struggled with eating disorders. NOT weighing and measuring (controlling) every piece of piece of food that I put in my mouth is actually a healthy step for me. Otherwise, I would be counting out alfalfa sprouts one by one or shaving little pieces of carrots until I reached a "perfect" weight.

Like you, I think weighing every single thing would make me too obsessive also. I do measure stuff out (1/4 of a cup, 1 teaspoon, etc). And I've realized it is good enough for me. :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I weight and measure everything. I have tried eyeballing in the past and have always ended up with more than what I thought it should have been.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I measure most things, but I don't weigh my food.