eat all my calories by lunch

Options
No matter what my calorie goal is set at - 1200, 1300, 1500, 1600, etc. I always eat all my calories by 2pm. Like, compulsively. Then I don't know whether to fast for the rest of the day, workout (again) or eat dinner too, and try again tomorrow (just to fail AGAIN). I tell myself every night "tomorrow, I'll have a smaller lunch" but I never do. What do I do (other than "just do it" - (I mean, like obviously I "should", "ought to" and "must" but by looking at my history, it just never happens.) If I don't eat, I'm miserable, if I do eat, I'm miserable. This whole thing is miserable. How do I do this? I don't know anymore and I seriously need help :(

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Sit down tonight and log all your food for tomorrow. I set up times in my food diary and can't eat until that time has arrived.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast/lunch that's 1600 calories?
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Usually I take my left over dinner for lunch.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Pre log your food the night before. So you know exactly what your breakfast lunch and dinner are going to be and stick to it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    What are you eating for breakfast/lunch that's 1600 calories?

1600 calories can seem like nothing, especially if she's like me and can't stop eating once she starts.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I usually preplan my breakfast, lunch, and snacks, although I don't prelog. One thing I've found helpful -- I've been using a Fitbit Charge HR which shows the calories I've burned throughout the day. When I look at it and see I haven't used up what I've eaten so far but I think I should have a snack, looking at that number tells me that I don't really need that food because I haven't used that many calories. So, I ask myself am I really hungry, or bored, stressed, need a glass of water? Because the number's telling me my body doesn't need those calories at that time. It also works the other way, too, if I feel run-down or fatigued, it's often because I've undereaten at that point in the day and need a snack.

If you don't have that technology, one rule of thumb is to divide your day into thirds, and try to consume a third at each meal if you eat 3 meals a day.

What is your height, weight, activity level, and weight goal? If you're so hungry, perhaps 1600 is too little if you're so starved?
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am sorry! I can't see your diary to know what you eat, but How about if you took the pressure off and focused on getting in only nutritional foods for a couple weeks, and/or made just one small change that you would like to make with your eating/fitness.

Then just work with that and enter your calories and. Just live with what you have eaten. At the end of each day, you have still made strides to become healthier and in a couple weeks you can make another change which help you get closer to 1600 for the day.

I am making changes to my lifestyle that will be permanent, so I cheer myself on whenever possible to make the changes. I tell my self I am on the slow train to a healthy life. Some days I go over my food "coupons" but I am at least sticking with my eating behaviors that are my building blocks of healthy eating...they are my required elements so if I am going over my calories at a party, eating out, etc. I am going over my calories , but at least I can take comfort I am sticking with my nutrition values.
    Good luck!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    elias1609 wrote: »

Then stop doing that.
    pre-log and only est the plan.

Adjust your goal to just maintenance until you csn hit those targets consistently then increase the weight loss goal per week which gives you less calories.

Drink more water throughout the day.

Eat somewhere else to break your pattern.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the pre-planning advice. Plan what you're having, pre-prepare it and pre-log it. Try and get the most bang for your calories if you are a volume eater.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Maybe you're just not eating enough, period.

More protein, fat, fibre is more filling for me. Almost no chance I'm going to make it through if I start the day with a croissant (high cal, low value, not that filling). Eggs are more reliable (for me).
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I kinda have this same problem... But it's not like I usually have dinner anyway.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Either eat less early in the day or starve through the evening.

You could also try eating food that is lower in calories. Add more fruits and veggies. I cannot imagine anyone eating 800 calories of fruits and veggies before lunch...and certainly not every day.

Good luck! :)
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maybe take foods you like less to work? If you love pasta but tolerate vegetables then take a bunch of veggies to work. Packing foods you crave and love may set you up for failure. Then save the foods you really like (measure our portions and put left overs in freezer for another day) for dinner.
  • xcoffeebean
    xcoffeebean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Used to have a similar issue just more of a day fast then bulk night intake.. I recently read Mindful Eating by Jan Chozen Bays... was a pleasant read and is definitely helping with my behavioral approach to food and health.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a strong appetite as well, and really struggled to make the right choices and find right portion sizes.

A step in the right direction would be to think ahead what you are going to eat and find foods you like which are big by volume but lower in calories. For example, 300 calories worth of granola with milk is pathetically little. On the other hand, 300 calories of oats cooked with water and sweetened with a bit of sugar free syrup is a huge bowl of porridge. Fried foods or cakes - 400 calories lunch would be tiny. Chicken and salad - 400 calories can become a substantial lunch.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast??
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying 5:2 or a similar fasting plan?
    I've only been doing it 5 weeks but it's really helped me to reset my thinking on what hunger rather than being bored actually is. It's easy to do, just eat 500 cals 2 days a week (they don't have to be consecutive) and eat normally the other 5 days. It feels effortless and I've lost 10lbs in 5 weeks, despite 2 blow out weekends.
  • mrspooh80
    mrspooh80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The first thing I do in the morning before breakfast is drink a 16oz of water. This helps my stomach feel fuller so that I don't over eat. After breakfast I do the same thing and that's keeps me content until lunch. In between breakfast and lunch I have a healthy snack. Before lunch I drink another bottle of water and the same rule applies for dinner.
    ( including healthy snack in between lunch and dinner). After dinner (30mins-1hr) I will drink another bottle of water. This really keeps me from over eating and at the same time I'm getting my water in for the day. The key to keep me from eating again after my dinner is to go to bed
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    elias1609 wrote: »

Then stop doing that.
    pre-log and only est the plan.

Adjust your goal to just maintenance until you csn hit those targets consistently then increase the weight loss goal per week which gives you less calories.

Drink more water throughout the day.

Eat somewhere else to break your pattern.

Why do you feel it's wrong to take dinner leftovers for lunch? I do it all the time. In any event, Elias wasn't even asking for our advice.

OP, I agree with those who said that pre planning is key. Log your food ahead of time and stick to that plan.

Good luck!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Maybe fast in the morning to cut the habit of eating so frequently to lunch?

I had a similar issue and started IF till 11 am. Has helped me a lot. I wake up at 6/7 and have a cup of coffee and then sit tight till 11. Lots of water in between.