Any chronic pain fighters out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• NailsnfitnesS
    NailsnfitnesS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I just diagnosed with DDD in my l.lumbar :( I had it for TWO years and my dumb chiro's didn't tell me…so Im behind in my healing process and gained all my weight . Im 155 now from 135 2 years. I won't run-I am babying my back. Cant do dead lifts.. Now at the mercy anyones help who is willing. I am willing to do this. My back is better but last night I had to ice it down :( I just added a low dose of muscle relaxers and worried about long term side effects. Not addicted-but my muscles are very tight in the back that i FEEL ITLL HELP LOOSEN THEM UP A LITTLE. OOPS ALL CAPS. I could use some support guys if you can help me add
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed with fibro last december. I used to enjoy my long walks and was on my way to a great weight loss. Now I cant walk 20 minutes without needing a sleep or being in pain. My weight has gone up again. I have days were I feel very weak that even standing up can be too much.
  • BigMikeP81
    BigMikeP81 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    On top of being very overweight I had an aortic aneurysm which caused me to have a risky open heart surgery in May. They told me basically it can take up to two years for my chest bone to heal properly. They piled on restrictions and limitations. I'm finding it difficult to find exercise other than walking that won't put stress on my chest. I also recently found out I may have an issue with my rotator cuff so my mobility in my shoulder is not really up to par as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Foggiblu Yoga makes me functional some days. I liked it so much I teach aerial yoga now. I find it easier on my joints. restorative and yin yoga are great to get joints to release and gives you time and space to get centered.
    I learned to acknowledge my pain but not let it define me.

I have Behcets and myalgia. I live with random pains, achy joints, sun burned feeling skin, migraines, sore throats, etc plus the fog and the fatigue. I started with aerial yoga, then i started long walks with the dog, and then i did the c25k and then the b25k and now I'm working on a half marathon. the key has always to go slowly. build up slowly. my body likes to inflame-so i am prone to tendinitis and other -itises.

The way I look at it, I can hurt or I can hurt and be healthy. I also tell myself I feel pain but that my body exaggerates it so I can go a little further.

I've lost weight when i was on lyrica, losing weight on gabepentin and colchicine and pantoprazole and lamotrigine
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AS, RA and osteo here. Coming off all the meds now due to weight loss and movent (yay!) Although I refused biologics because of the lymphoma/cancer suspicions so I ate a lot of pain killers, anti inflammatory and stuff to protect me from those.
    Last bone density showed some form of arthritis in 83% of my joints so yeah, I get it.
    Unfortunately :/
    Not sure what you're doing but for AS I've found stationary bike/elliptical has been the best combined with resistance bands where I can control what moving and how much. I get SI joint pain on the bike if I get cocky about duration but other than that, been working quite well. :)
  • StormyFireriver
    StormyFireriver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined FitnessPal. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in June 2015 after years of pain. I basically ignored myself since I was dealing with an autistic child. In my quest to get healthy I was also diagnosed with adenomyosis and had a hysterectomy in February 2015. I was already overweight and have added an additional 20-lbs since my surgery. I'm looking for supportive people. I want to win my battle with my eating problems and would also like to help encourage others hoping it will also motivate me. Exercise is not happening yet. I'm lucky to make it through the day but I'm hoping that if I lose some weight it will relieve some of my pain and tiredness. Please feel free to friend me and we'll encourage each other. Thank you for listening. Stormy
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have severe fistulizing Crohn's disease which causes constant abdominal pain, arthritis type symptoms in most joints, headaches, rashes, fatigue and lots of other stuff. I try to push through it because I don't want the disease to win but autoimmune diseases suck big tim
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    AS, RA and osteo here. Coming off all the meds now due to weight loss and movent (yay!) Although I refused biologics because of the lymphoma/cancer suspicions so I ate a lot of pain killers, anti inflammatory and stuff to protect me from those.
    Last bone density showed some form of arthritis in 83% of my joints so yeah, I get it.
    Not sure what you're doing but for AS I've found stationary bike/elliptical has been the best combined with resistance bands where I can control what moving and how much. I get SI joint pain on the bike if I get cocky about duration but other than that, been working quite well. :)

I am on Remicade and it is a life saver. The cancer risks are very very small. All of the cancer cases have been teenage boys and usually with those also on imuran (which I also take)
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »

I've been doing a lot of walking videos lately. I also love the elliptical.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    AS, RA and o
    I am on Remicade and it is a life saver. The cancer risks are very very small. All of the cancer cases have been teenage boys and usually with those also on imuran (which I also take)
    I wont lie, I fully admit I'm a bit of a stress monkey when it comes to meds; I'm the chick who shoots down even some advil post surgery.
    I'm not an anti-pharma soap boxer but I am slightly paranoid, and it just takes one seed of doubt to make me freak myself out :D

I've been doing a lot of walking videos lately. I also love the elliptical.
    Awesome! Walking is always a go to for me as well!

• kfrazi13
    kfrazi13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and RSD (in upper back) after a work injury a few years ago. Now trying to lose weight since I have tried everything and nothing has helped (and tired of doctors saying I am "just overweight" before even hearing what I have to say). Like many of you have said, my reactions to the meds were just awful and I decided they were not for me. The pain is intense and it makes losing weight harder, but am hoping some how to find something that helps the pain someday. Trying to workout several days a week, hoping some sort of tolerance eventually builds. Anyone please feel free to add me :) Good luck to everyone on your journey and I hope you find something that helps ease the pain!
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis which even when managed causes chronic back pain and headaches, plus an autoimmune disorder which cause occasional flare ups with awful joint pain and terrible fatigue. I used to love lifting weights and running but these days the added pain of DOMS and occasional joint issues is just too much and I've had to stop. It's so frustrating because I had so many goals I'll never meet that I see all my fitness friends crushing, and since I've healed from my eating disorder I'm not as lean as I like but can't lift or run to combat the calories anymore. Im trying to be grateful every day for the health that I do have, but sometimes it's hard not to have fitness envy. :/
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis which even when managed causes chronic back pain and headaches, plus an autoimmune disorder which cause occasional flare ups with awful joint pain and terrible fatigue. I used to love lifting weights and running but these days the added pain of DOMS and occasional joint issues is just too much and I've had to stop. It's so frustrating because I had so many goals I'll never meet that I see all my fitness friends crushing, and since I've healed from my eating disorder I'm not as lean as I like but can't lift or run to combat the calories anymore. Im trying to be grateful every day for the health that I do have, but sometimes it's hard not to have fitness envy. :/

Have you tried using the sitting machines in the weight room? That's what I do since I'm medically prohibited from lifting more than 45 in free weights.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »

Have you tried using the sitting machines in the weight room? That's what I do since I'm medically prohibited from lifting more than 45 in free weights.

Yes I do use those some times as well as doing yoga. I know that something is better than nothing, but it's hard to be excited about the machines when I used to shoot for deadlifting 2x bodyweight.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The past few days I've been dealing with a fibro flare. Because I'm hosting Thanksgiving, I need to be at my best on Wednesday and Thursday. So I've been taking it very easy. I wish it wasn't a holiday week because I wanted to push myself to get my steps in (5000 goal) but I'm afraid of making things worse right now. I love Thanksgiving, and having my friends and family around, and have mixed feelings that I can't wait till Friday.

After Thanksgiving, I'll have a few weeks of being able to push myself (and crash as necessary) before more holidays.

Anyone else with fibro or other fatigue problems dealing with this? Any tips on how to handle severe fatigue and hosting at the same time?
  • BigRedSev
    BigRedSev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, diagnosed with DDD, Osteoarthritis and curvature of the spine back in 2000. Started with two discs affected now progressed to six, live on painkillers and fight the flab constantly. Pain gets very annoying but I take every day one at a time and am definitely more positive than I was a few years back. This is my year to get back to my right weight. Hang in there everyone and keep beating the pain.