drink problem v.s alcoholic ?

Options
2»

Replies

• furrflys
    Options
    I loves me some wine!!! :drinker: For me at nite after the kiddo heads for bed it's mommies time to unwind! I figure it in with the rest of my calories. I drink quite a bit honestley, however It dosn't affect my responsibilities. 2 to 2 and a half 16 oz glasses a nite some nites I just dont feel like having any at all. I feel that if I were plowed all day every day and flat could not function without the booze then there is a problem. Look, I'm of irish decent I'm required to drink my share!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    A regular serving size for wine is 5oz. They recommend that women stay within the one serving limit to gain health benefits from the wine. Going over the one serving on a regular basis is not good for your health.
    At the amounts that you are drinking I would think if you don't have a problem today you are well on your way to having a problem. And the health issues that can accompany it.
    I would try to cut back to the recommended serving. If you can't do that then you have a problem.

For the person who said they were going to try to only drink on weekends. That generally leads to binge drinking. And that is just as dangerous to your health as drinking everyday.

This is far more serious than just the amount of extra calories you are taking in. Please look at the links Kellch provided.

And so no one thinks I am against alcohol I am not. I will probably have wine with my dinner. But only the one serving.

I wish you the best as you look into this and in taking control of your health.
  • furrflys
    Options
    Oh yeah keiko is absolutly right. Too much will definatly lead to serious health problems. Best to keep that in mind!
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    Options
    I have no doubt my love of wine has helped me gain the extra pounds over the years ! But I love my wine.. though I am only having a couple of glasses on the weekends. Have a glass of wine, you deserve it ! Just don't drink the whole bottle...:laugh:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    you can live without alcohol. I don't drink and its actually not bad at all. I have my pina coladas and other drinks just all non-alcoholic.
  • keiko
    Options
    My dad only drank beer (everyday and probably in the amounts that some of you are talking about wine . I never saw him drunk. He went to work everyday. A perfect example of a functioning alcoholic.
    Don't think because you aren't falling down drunk or passing out that you don't have a problem.
    He almost died from cirrhosis of the liver when he was in his 50's.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Wine is safer than tequila

capricia13.jpg
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    LMBO! Funny stuff.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    My dad only drank beer (everyday and probably in the amounts that some of you are talking about wine . I never saw him drunk. He went to work everyday. A perfect example of a functioning alcoholic.
    Don't think because you aren't falling down drunk or passing out that you don't have a problem.

THAT would be my FIL, but everyone around him refuses to see it. :noway: He'd have an IV of Natural Light hooked up to him if he could. *gag*
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I was going to say... Even if you don't feel sick or out of control with your drinking, a woman having more than 1 drink per night on average is ravaging her liver... Keep in mind that I did say on average. Half a bottle of wine twice a week with no other alcohol is fine. A whole bottle for one woman? Not ok.

CAVEAT: These figures ARE based on averages. And those drinks/night figures are based on weight. So, if a woman weighs as much as the average man, she MIGHT be able to drink more like a man... That said, clinical studies show that men and women metabolize alcohol differently, even if you hold weight constant. A 150-lb woman will get drunk faster than a 150-lb man, and it will take longer for her body to metabolize it. That means MORE stress on the liver.

Most of the GLOBAL increase in drinking over the last 20 years is due to women, not only larger numbers of women, but larger amounts per woman. As "empowering" as it may be to drink as much as men (who shouldn't have more than 2 drinks per night on average) - it's very damaging, and aging.

I'd get it under control if I were you. You could end up saving a lot more than calories... I'd recommend that you make sure your doctor is aware of the amount you drink and that you get annual bloodwork to check your liver function, even if you feel ok.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I drink, I limit it to the weekend and holidays mostly.
    Only once in a while do I have a drink or a beer during the week, very rare.

Weekends however are usually a large party. Such is my life:wink:
    I remember going to a seminar in college and a few indicators of a problem are:

Waking up drunk/hung over
    Blacking out
    Drinking multiple nights a week
    Drinking more than 6 drinks in a day
    Craving a drink during the day
    Requiring a drink
    Making room in your schedule for a drink

Obviously some of these are pretty basic.
    Most people I know drink more than 6 and are fine.
    Also Ive blacked out and known people who black out, it doesnt happen regularly.
    I think you need to be the judge for yourself, frequency is a key here.
    If you black out or get drunk several times over the course of a week, on a weekly basis, it could raise a red flag.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Blacking out goes way beyond "functional alcoholism."
  • keiko
    Options
    If you black out or get drunk several times over the course of a week, on a weekly basis, it could raise a red flag.

Blacking out, whether it is once a week or once a month is an idication that you have a problem. Anytime you have had enough that you are blacking out means you are drinking to much.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for sharing words on this issue.
    bottom line is:
    i guess i am an alcoholic mainly cause i am never satisfied w/ just 1 ten oz glass of wine!
    i've never said that about myself before.
    i need to use the strength i have in myself to control my drinking and eating.

:heart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    bottom line is:
    i guess i am an alcoholic mainly cause i am never satisfied w/ just 1 ten oz glass of wine!

You can do it! hug.gif
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bottom line is:

Isn't admitting a problem the first step to recovery?? (((HUGS)))
    And if you've gone 2 days without drinking already, let's see how far we can take it!
  • keiko
    Options
    bottom line is:

Don't think you have to do this alone. AA has helped many. There is also a program called Celebrate Recovery. It is a Christian based 12 step program. You could check with churches in your area to see if anyone is offering it. I have heard good things about it. You can check it out at celebraterecovery.com
    And there are many here on MFP that will support you and encourage you.
    Congratulations on making the first step to a healthy new you!