Signing up for an expensive training program as a grad student

Options
Hi folks--

I need some feedback. I've been working hard on improving my fitness, but I have a hard time keeping commitments without being accountable to someone else. In the past, I've had success doing training programs. I found one where I moved for graduate school, but it costs $600 for four months, meeting twice a week. However, I'm likely to find a cycling community (I'm a cyclist) and folks to ride with, which I've struggled to do since I moved four months ago.

I have a hard time spending money on myself and I'm a poor doctoral student, so I don't have much money to spend. I did a pro and con analysis, and the cons are purely centered on the money piece.

What do you folks think about this? Would you do it? Has anyone found that signing up for a program like this was productive? Non-productive?

Thanks.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem spending money on myself as long as I can afford it, but personally, $600 for 4 months seems a bit steep. I do think signing up for programs or challenges are helpful and keep you accountable, but not necessarily a good idea if it leaves you in debt.

Try again to find a cycling group first or maybe organize your own accountability group with people you go to school with or work with first. If not, then try the program and hopefully it will propel you for a while after that because if not, what will you do after those 4 months?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Is there any groups on Meetup.com in your area? Sometimes the site can help you access people and groups you didn't know existed in the area, and it would be people with similar interests, so the awkward first meeting is much easier.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Dropping $600 on a 4 month fitness program would make me pause. I'm not saying it would be a definite NO but it would have to help me develop some sort of skill or takeaway that would last after the 6 months. Are you saying that meeting up with a cycling group would be part of this program?
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I pay $560 for 36 sessions. $600 for 32 sounds about average. It definitely is a lot of money, though. I've been working with my trainer for 4 months now and I've made so much progress that I otherwise wouldn't have on my own. I don't regret spending the money at all.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you're technically a student, is there an on-campus gym you can join? It would probably be a lot cheaper (or free?) and could offer classes that you could pencil into your schedule each week. Even if it didn't have classes, you could always make an ongoing date with a friend to go twice a week or even just add "go to the gym" to your calendar--some people find that scheduling it ahead of time keeps them accountable.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's not expensive at all. Unless I am missing something. $600 for 32 training sessions is very cheap.
  • outdoorrecrocks
    outdoorrecrocks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So without getting into all the cycling lingo.. The training sessions are group sessions but designed about your functional threshhold. Most folks are racers looking for indoor training. I've been a pretty serious cyclist, but despite my efforts to connect with a group here of people who will push me, I just haven't been able to do it. Back East, there were lots of group rides of fast paces, but here it seems like people don't do big group rides the same way.

I've tried really hard to find folks to ride with, but now that it's winter, it's harder to do so. And this would be a good way to find people who are as competitive about it as I am while also gaining fitness..
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    So without getting into all the cycling lingo.. The training sessions are group sessions but designed about your functional threshhold. Most folks are racers looking for indoor training. I've been a pretty serious cyclist, but despite my efforts to connect with a group here of people who will push me, I just haven't been able to do it. Back East, there were lots of group rides of fast paces, but here it seems like people don't do big group rides the same way.

I've tried really hard to find folks to ride with, but now that it's winter, it's harder to do so. And this would be a good way to find people who are as competitive about it as I am while also gaining fitness..

Sounds like you would like this and need this. Only you can decide your personal finances. If I were in your position, using the above quoted segment as filling in for you, I'd go for it, if I could afford it, as a springboard for getting back into the sport. I've spent more on golf lessions. Took ten swings off my handicapp, so, in my mind, worth it. You seem to feel the same way about these traniing sessions. Good luck with your decision.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great thing, and something that you would enjoy, but this is getting into hobby (luxury) territory rather than health & wellness (necessity) territory. Which is totally fine! Your time, your money, your body! But it may be helpful to re-frame it this way, and determine whether your goal of improving your cycling as a serious hobby is worth $600.

Framed that way, what kind of position would you reasonably be in after 4 months passes?:
    • More skillful and knowledgeable, and able to continue the training on your own? You've bought a great tool, cheaper than a new bike, most likely!
    • Back where you started, until you spend more money? An expensive lesson, that you might have struggled to afford!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Do you have the energy/time to try to start a riding group? Maybe there are some people around who would like to do something like this?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You just moved?

Go to forums at roabbikereview.com and see if there are riders in your area. Call the shops. Look for a trip club. I imagine your school has one and a cycling club.

As a cyclist, I'd only pay out those sums for a complex training that included global work (functional AND strength, power training) and when I had specific goals that required it.

Sounds like you are trying to substitute training for goals. It can work - but what happens after 4 months? You gonna keep paying or drop out?

From a cyclist perspective, winter time would not be the best months for pure roadwork unless you live in one of those places that allow it. I'd want something that is more "off-season" and includes and lot of muscle balance work, etc... Look into something like the Morris Plan. Or even start with an on-line training before dumping 600 every 4 months.

Also noticed you are in Colorado. Look into mountain biking groups or over at MTBR.com. There are a lot of cross riders. The mtn biking community is pretty large.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    This is a group training program? Program participants capped? If there are numerous participants will you receive any personal assistance at all? If not, it works out to be a very expensive program.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Are these indoor training sessions on bikes where they have power meters to see if you are working in specified power zones?

It might be a good investment.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Is there any groups on Meetup.com in your area? Sometimes the site can help you access people and groups you didn't know existed in the area, and it would be people with similar interests, so the awkward first meeting is much easier.

This is my suggestion.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have any issue with it if my schedule worked with it. However, as a grad student my hours were a little wonky and I would have felt bad about missing a session.