Will I make it to my first 5k?

So i've been steadily losing weight for the last 4 months. I went from a high of 448lbs to 392lbs. I finally feel like I'm at a point where I can start doing more serious physical activity.

I signed up for a 2 mile holiday fun run and really enjoyed myself. I have a taste of jogging and I want more.

My question is, has anyone tried the couch to 5k program and been successful? I REALLY want to sign up for a 5k but I want to condition myself to be able to jog the whole way.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    There are lots of folks on here that use it and love it. I believe there is a group here for support as well.

There's no reason you can't run a 5k. It may take some time but you can get there. Just take it easy as you get into running. With your current weight you are going to put a lot of stress on your joints. Listen to your body and slow down or take a break when you need it. Just because you have the 5k program doesn't mean you have to follow it religiously.

The good news is at your current weight you will burn a ton of calories when you run. :)

Keep at it. You are doing a great job so far.

Good luck.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm up to doing Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow (a 20 minute run without stopping), and loving it!

I'm a member of this C25k group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109132-deediddygees-c25k-starting-now-october-2015
  • LoozR83
    LoozR83 Posts: 11 Member
    I am one run away from graduating the c25k programme. Eight weeks ago I could barely run the length of myself and now I'm running 28 mins without even getting out if breath! The programme definately works.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    I have done c25k in the past and have loved it... Had a baby, started it again, got to week 4 and am bored so I'm doing it "on my own' same idea just set my own goals and see if I can run for that amount of time etc. But yes, in answer to your question it is definitely possible. So much of exercising is in the mind, and if you are absolutely determined to do it, then you will manage to battle through, even when you literally think your lungs won't allow you (first 5 minute run...)

Good luck
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    It worked for me. I couldn't see the point of running at all when I started, so you are already in a better state of mind than I was! I did 5K after the 9 weeks of the NHS C25K, and didn't stop there as it became quite addictive. I did a HM this year :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I did the C25K this summer and did my first 5k on week 7 (fun run) finished in 33 mins.

at the end of the summer my fastest 5k time was 24mins and 8 secs so yah it works.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    I've done the couch to 5k program for many years and it has worked for me successfully. Just try to ease into it, because y ou dont want to overtrain and risk injury. Speaking from MY own experience, that being overweight and overtraining has caused me more issues with pain and muscle strains, especially in the knee.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    I had really bad shin splints and couldn't run without really thinking I was going to have a heart attack.

I did C25k. I became a runner! I loved it.

I stopped running for 18 months and got back into it this year using the C25k programme again. I did a 10k last week where I ran the whole thing and I just started the c25k again this June. So yes it definitely does work.

If you can walk for 30 minutes you can do c25k. If you cannot yet walk for 30 minutes that's the starting point. Build it up so that you can walk for a half hour.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I didn't use C25K myself but lots of people seem to enjoy it.

If you do follow the program don't get too fixated on completing it in the 9 or 10 weeks. Everyone progresses at his or her own rate, if you have to repeat a week don't worry about it. If you were able to run continuously for the 2 miles (irrespective of the pace) you're off to a great start.

Keep in mind that running distances requires significant physiological adaptations (bone density, mitochondria density etc) don't become a victim of your own enthusiasm, most running injuries are a result of doing too much, too soon to fast. If approached in the right way running is something you can enjoy for pretty much the rest of your life.....
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    If I can do a 5K (and I did), just about anybody can. I used to throw up after gym class, so I'm nobody's idea of an athlete. I never tried C25K, I just did a lot of fairly fast walking to condition myself for it, then I did intervals of running and walking during the 5K for a pretty good (at least for me) 12-minute mile. Go for it; you'll feel great about yourself afterwards!
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    My first 5k I weighed 130 lbs. and was 5'5" and nearly had an asthma attack at the end. I am sure I had to walk a few steps and did it in a very average 32 minutes.

At the end, I didn't care that I had not run the whole thing; what mattered was that I had just completed a 5k! I signed up for a 10k three months later and ran it in 60 minutes (didn't jog the whole way, but did improve my time). With each race after this, my cardio and running strength increased until I was easily able to complete a 5k without walking. For me it was not immediate, and it took a few races to get the pace down and not waste all my energy at the start.

A friend of mine did a Couch to 5k and now she runs marathons nearly every weekend. She recommends it to everyone. A programme helped her a lot and probably addressed all the things I learned just by doing races.

Go for it. You will sprint over the finish line no matter what your time is. :)
  • Jimmie342
    Jimmie342 Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Last night, I completed the first day which required me to jog for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds for a total of 30 minutes. I felt great afterwards but I am finding that today my ankles are a bit sore. Not extremely painful but still an ache.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Jimmie342 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Last night, I completed the first day which required me to jog for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds for a total of 30 minutes. I felt great afterwards but I am finding that today my ankles are a bit sore. Not extremely painful but still an ache.

I did the program about 2 1/2 years ago, I repeated days, I wasn't able to run MWF like it suggests because of my work schedule. But it worked. I finished it. My first 5K was a disaster since I made the newbie mistake of starting too fast, took a wrong turn, and walked a huge part of it. My next one I ran the whole thing, wasn't last and under the time goal I set for myself. It's mind blowing for me, because I never thought of myself as a runner.

And this week I broke a 9 minute mile. <insert mind blown emoji here>

Do it at your own pace and enjoy the time.

Orphia wrote: »
    I'm up to doing Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow (a 20 minute run without stopping), and loving it!

That's the game changer day. I was so nervous about doing it and was never so happy to hear the woman on the app say there was one minute left. Did a football touchdown dance at the end, then realized since I ran straight down the road the whole way, it was going to be a long walk back :smiley:

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I've done it and am now training for a half marathon. I enjoyed it. and i definitely wasn't a runner beforehand
  • Jimmie342
    Jimmie342 Posts: 56 Member
    So I completed day one of the C25K program on Monday. Afterwards, my ankles/calves are very sore. I was unable to complete day 2 yesterday to the pain. They feel somewhat better today but I'm worried about trying to keep jogging. Even though I have lost 55 pounds, I'm still at 392. Should I just allow myself to lose more weight or should I just keep walking and building up my stamina before I try to start jogging again? Thoughts?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Definitely get shoes made for heavier runners (I believe they offer more support and probably last longer).

And there's nothing wrong with walking. Run when your body allows it. Bigger dudes can run (think of NFL linemen for example) but you have to work your way into shape slowly.
  • sjensen9
    sjensen9 Posts: 4 Member
    Follow the plan, listen to your body and react accordingly. Get good running shoes and be patient. I am sure you did not achieve your current weight overnight nor will you lose it overnight. Yes, you can and you will run your first 5K. Determination and steady is the course.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Yes. I'm asthmatic so I found I needed to double the length of the programme, so I took 2 weeks to do every week. Ran my first 5k last April, now running my first 10k in a few weeks. This is the healthiest I've been asthma -wise in years
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    C25K is great. Ankle/foot/calf pain is normal when you start running because there are weaknesses. Do strength exercises and stretching. Listen to your body. If the pain starts to be injury pain back off and take a break. Soreness you should be able to work through though. Make sure you are working to strengthen hips and pelvic floor. Just google running hip exercises and pelvic floor/core exercises. You can cause injury when starting a running program deconditioned so strengthen your body.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yes. I'm asthmatic so I found I needed to double the length of the programme, so I took 2 weeks to do every week. Ran my first 5k last April, now running my first 10k in a few weeks. This is the healthiest I've been asthma -wise in years

@tiny_clanger that's really great! Happy for you. I love hearing stories like this about how exercise/weightloss has helped people's health.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10271593/has-your-health-improved#latest