Mental Health and Weight Loss

Options
I decided to share this to empower all of the people who are struggling with Generalized Anxiety or Depression. I personally have had Anxiety and panic attacks for over 8 years (since I was 16). Along with making life hard to cope with sometimes, it has away of creating a sense of powerlessness.

I talked with my dr to troubleshoot my anxiety/weight issues. I am great at clean eating but when my panic attacks onset, I am unable to regulate my eating patterns. Finally we were able to come up with a plan.

We decided that I'm going to try meal replacements twice a day, paired with clean eating. As I lose the weight, we'll go down to one replacement a day, and then to clean eating altogether for the lifestyle change. The idea is that when my anxiety flares, I can always grab one of the meal replacements and retreat to that to maintain.

I'm glad that someone can understand what I've been going through and can offer solutions that might help me stabilize my eating habits and reach and maintain my goals. I felt so inspired by that sense of not being alone that I wanted to make sure that you all know that having a plan is a first step. Reaching out for help is always okay too.

It feels good to have some hope after feeling so hopeless and overwhelmed. Nice to be back on a clear path. I'm looking forward to meal prepping. I hope this helps some of you look forward to taking back control of your life, whichever path that may be for you <3

P.S. This is here to inspire others to reach out for help when they need it. Please do not take this as an opportunity to criticize. I am working with a Dr. for a reason! Sometimes these message boards can get a bit mean and demeaning.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing a very personal experience. I'm sure it will help many. Overall, meal replacements aren't generally encouraged on this site, but in your case I can see how taking away the additional anxiety to figure out what to eat and having a plan to use meal replacements as necessary is a good idea and definitely worth a try. I wish you success!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good luck, that's a big step to take, and I hope that it works. I commend you on posting this, as it's not easy for people to admit there are other reasons driving thier inability to lose weight or more specifically control thier eating. I think many, many people on these boards would be helped significantly if they went the route you chose, hopefully your post will inspire them.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing a very personal experience. I'm sure it will help many. Overall, meal replacements aren't generally encouraged on this site, but in your case I can see how taking away the additional anxiety to figure out what to eat and having a plan to use meal replacements as necessary is a good idea and definitely worth a try. I wish you success!

Thank you! I've been at this for awhile and I have seen people get torn to shreds on here. I just wanted to make sure people felt to encouraged to reach out for help when they needed it, even if the route the dr says, is not the route MFP loves all the time :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Good luck, that's a big step to take, and I hope that it works. I commend you on posting this, as it's not easy for people to admit there are other reasons driving thier inability to lose weight or more specifically control thier eating. I think many, many people on these boards would be helped significantly if they went the route you chose, hopefully your post will inspire them.

I hope it will inspire them too! :)
  • baroquepop
    baroquepop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you to find strategies that address your concerns and to keep figuring it out ~ and getting support. I'm inspired. It's a process of growing awareness. Thank you for sharing what you've discovered. Great going!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I can relate to having a go-to meal. I was sick last week and was simply unable to make decisions. I remember feeling hungry at 3 PM and not be able to decide what to eat for two hours.

I noticed I was eating more chocolate than usual and wondered if this was because since I wasn't getting a boost from exercise, I was looking for it from chocolate.

Speaking of which - studies have shown exercise is as effective as antidepressants for mild to moderate depression - has your doctor made exercise recommendations? What's your routine?
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I can relate to having a go-to meal. I was sick last week and was simply unable to make decisions. I remember feeling hungry at 3 PM and not be able to decide what to eat for two hours.

I noticed I was eating more chocolate than usual and wondered if this was because since I wasn't getting a boost from exercise, I was looking for it from chocolate.

Speaking of which - studies have shown exercise is as effective as antidepressants for mild to moderate depression - has your doctor made exercise recommendations? What's your routine?

Yes, I actually treated my anxiety the natural way for the first 6 1/2 years. I did 30 mins of exercise even if it was just walking, I cut out caffeine almost completely because that triggers panic attacks for me. I also cut back on carbs and sugars, and then I took classes on how to cope with anxiety attacks and then I took group classes, and then I took natural supplements. I even practiced meditation. I fought through until I got up to 2 and 3 panic attacks a day. It became unbearable, so I finally decided to try the medicinal route. So now I take an antidepressant and that helps the most with prevention. But no treatment is fool proof. Going a day at a time :)
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have to plan in advance and prepare food or I will eat "whatever" (usually whatever is in my sight, and far too much). Thank you for sharing, I hope you don't mind if I add you. :smile:
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    I tried yoga today for the first time. I think this may also be a great exercise for people struggling with anxiety and depression. I feel very relaxed and ready to start my day :)
  • lulloa
    lulloa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your post has been very inspirational and helpful
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good to read how someone else handles their anxiety and depression, and I hope you have success :). I have GAD and clinical depression, and sometimes it feels like we can get one under control, but not the other. Right now, my GAD has improved with medication and exercise, even though I still have anxiety attacks, but my depression seems to be slowly creeping back...today has been a really low day (so was yesterday, and I've been having these days more and more lately, which makes me think my medication isn't doing much for the depression, even though it seems to be kicking tail with anxiety.)

Going to indulge in some fudge brownie ice cream with peanut butter tonight...not nearly the amount I would have before MFP, but I think the chocolate really does help sometimes.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression on and off since my teens, it's never actually gone but I recognise it now. If I stop eating clean and working out, my self esteem drops, my stress levels rise and I start to spiral. My friends literally know what I'm eating due to my mood! This shows the power of positive change! Healthy life=happy life for me :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    spatulamom wrote: »
    Good to read how someone else handles their anxiety and depression, and I hope you have success :). I have GAD and clinical depression, and sometimes it feels like we can get one under control, but not the other. Right now, my GAD has improved with medication and exercise, even though I still have anxiety attacks, but my depression seems to be slowly creeping back...today has been a really low day (so was yesterday, and I've been having these days more and more lately, which makes me think my medication isn't doing much for the depression, even though it seems to be kicking tail with anxiety.)

Going to indulge in some fudge brownie ice cream with peanut butter tonight...not nearly the amount I would have before MFP, but I think the chocolate really does help sometimes.

I completely understand. I had my medication adjusted last week. It completely eliminated the panic attacks but caused an onset of depression. I am feeling much better on the depression front but now I am a little anxious. It's a struggle but I try to remind myself that I'm doing my best and that's all that anyone can do. I hope you enjoy your chocolate (in moderation) :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    lulloa wrote: »
    Your post has been very inspirational and helpful

I'm so glad it was helpful for you :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I have suffered from depression on and off since my teens, it's never actually gone but I recognise it now. If I stop eating clean and working out, my self esteem drops, my stress levels rise and I start to spiral. My friends literally know what I'm eating due to my mood! This shows the power of positive change! Healthy life=happy life for me :)

That's awesome! We are all taking it a day at a time. Cheering for you!
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    Just wanted to give an update here:

So far, I'm doing really well. This has helped keep me on track immensely in probably the most difficult time I've ever gone through with anxiety and depression so far. I feel really proud of myself for being able to stay on track with my weight loss and I feel even more proud of myself for finding a strategy that supports me and sets me up for success.

Anyone else struggling with anxiety and depression?

How have you coped?

How has your journey been so far?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tried yoga today for the first time. I think this may also be a great exercise for people struggling with anxiety and depression. I feel very relaxed and ready to start my day :)

i have periodic episodes of anxiety and yoga has been very beneficial...i also find that thai chi really keeps me centered.