Vegetarian diet help/support

Options
Looking for new friends to help/support.

Trying to lose weight on my diet without losing the nutrients I need

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and legumes in a wide variety colors, good fats like nuts and avocados,and high protein vegetarian foods? That's really all there is to it. Or did you have more specific questions?
  • hannahouser
    hannahouser Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies guys.
    BecomingBane i just feel like nutrition wise i'm not getting enough protein per gram for all the dark greens, nuts, legumes etc i eat.
    Maybe i need to introduce a protein powder into my diet
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a good protein powder, even a plant based on like Vega, or Plant Fusion.

But have you tried adding in things like Tofu, tempeh, seitan, or since you are vegetarian (and don't indicate vegan or plant based), eggs, dairy, cheese, greek yogurt or other high protein foods?

Tofu and seitan are some of my go to protein sources as a plant based athlete. Both are relatively low in carbs which leaves me plenty of room for other nutritious carb sources.

A good protein powder makes the difference for me on occasion, but then again, my protein goals are pretty massive for my goals. But, more often than not, I'm able to get close, if not spot on with food. The only reason I suggest trying to get food over powder is that powder is usually more expensive than food based on price per gram of protein and I find food to be more filling or satiating.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    You can easily get enough protein on a vegetarian diet - eat a varied diet that includes eggs and dairy foods, you can choose low fat versions of cheese and yoghurt if you want to keep the calories low (0% fat greek yoghurt has more protein yet low cal). IMO money's better spent on real food than protein powders.
  • hannahouser
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, it helps me alot.
    I've eaten tofu before (i can never find seitan?) and i need to incorporate it back into my diet. I'll add cottage cheese, eggs, greek yoghurt etc. i used to be avocado crazy until i realised how little protein they contain (i think thats right!)
  • DaddieCat
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Avacados are a high fat food, with something like 3 grams of protein, so not a good protein source.

I prefer to make my own seitan. It's a simple process and I can make it how I want, textured like I want, and flavored like I want... although it takes some practice to get the process down.

*ETA there is nothing wrong with high fat foods. I eat avocados all the time to meet my fat macro... but there are highly caloric and if you are on a deficit, you might need to make room for them.
  • schneizilla
    schneizilla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I don't like dairy so much...so I'm something like almost plant-based...and yes, I find it difficult to get enough protein and stick to a calorie restricted diet.
    I got a protein powder on sale and try to drink that. I also just today found a protein bread which actually has a better calorie/protein ratio then my powder ;-) so I guess I will go to a store and check that out...
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I don't like dairy so much...so I'm something like almost plant-based...and yes, I find it difficult to get enough protein and stick to a calorie restricted diet.
    I got a protein powder on sale and try to drink that. I also just today found a protein bread which actually has a better calorie/protein ratio then my powder ;-) so I guess I will go to a store and check that out...

What powder do you use that is that high in calories? Just curious as it might be beneficial to me. My preferred protein is not very caloric at all.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and dairy.

I have 2 eggs with breakfast, and dairy throughout the day. I try to eat beans most days- and rather than say, half rice, half beans, I have slowly gone to having more beans and less rice. Or whatever other grain I am eating them with.

Tofu is Yum. We also do tempeh although honestly it doesn't taste that great. I tend to mix it into other stuff.
  • heyjudehubbard
    heyjudehubbard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vege Burgers are great and help me add protein. Morningside Grillers Prime has 17g
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Avacados are a high fat food, with something like 3 grams of protein, so not a good protein source.

I prefer to make my own seitan. It's a simple process and I can make it how I want, textured like I want, and flavored like I want... although it takes some practice to get the process down.

*ETA there is nothing wrong with high fat foods. I eat avocados all the time to meet my fat macro... but there are highly caloric and if you are on a deficit, you might need to make room for them.

Would you be willing to post your seitan recipe by any chance? I've never thought of making it myself.

I used to be vegan but I really struggled with my food intake and I gained a lot of weight. I've been eating organic/free range meat for the last year trying to get my health and weight under control but ultimately I aim to be at least vegetarian again. I need to learn more before I take the plunge. I'm almost at my goal weight so it's something I'll be looking into soon. I'll keep watching this thread to get some ideas :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Soybeans (edamame) have lots of protein and are packed with other nutrients, too. They get my vote as the Single Healthiest Food. Very yummy, too. :)

Tofu, tempeh, dairy. Faux meats (if your conscience allows) have good amount of protein.

Get a copy of The New Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone. Excellent cookbook.

The Happy Herbivores group is a good one. :)
  • hannahouser
    Options
    Thank you for all the info guys, i'm in the happy herbivore group now :)

Ive added eggs to my daily plan and my protein level has shot up.
    I've also found "arla protein pots", 20% protein fruit flavoured quark.

Anybody else tried them?
  • southernchelle87
    Options
    Really great book called Clean Gut that helped me slot. My family just went gluten free, dairy free and almost totally organic
  • southernchelle87
    Options
    Helped a lot I meant to say lol
  • hannahouser
    Options
    Thank you x
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    firebloom wrote: »

Would you be willing to post your seitan recipe by any chance? I've never thought of making it myself.

I used to be vegan but I really struggled with my food intake and I gained a lot of weight. I've been eating organic/free range meat for the last year trying to get my health and weight under control but ultimately I aim to be at least vegetarian again. I need to learn more before I take the plunge. I'm almost at my goal weight so it's something I'll be looking into soon. I'll keep watching this thread to get some ideas :)

I use the recipe in Veganomicon. I can't post it as it's copyrighted. But here is a similar recipe:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/homemade-seitan/