Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I know starting this early is important as this journey is not just about cardio and diet but also about being fit and toned. At what weight/milestone would you guys recommend I begin focusing on more strength training and muscle building rather than cardio? I absolutely need cardio tight now as I'm in crappy shape, but I have limited time and cannot implement a ton of training aong with my cardio at the moment. I also don't want to burn out. I was thinking I'd like to get into the 100s before really starting to focus in strength training. That gives me 34 more pounds to lose first. What do you all think?

I would personally not invest time in exercise that had as goal to achieve a certain look, in a limited period of time, and then quit, since it would mean whatever accomplishment was made it would just be lost once the routine is finished. So, unless training for an event, I would do nothing that should accomplish X in Y weeks, that would have me burn out or that I would not plan to stick with for a while.
    For exercise to be beneficial on the long run, it needs to be become a part of your routine. Find whatever you think you can stick with, something that sounds interesting and affordable and start now. Do not see it as a means of looking a certain way and then giving up, because this is pointless after a while. If it is worth doing, then start now. If it is a chore or an inconvenience, then most likely it will not be doable on the wrong run.
    Ideally you need both cardio and strength training, either in separate routines, or an activity that combines both. Figure out what you can do and are willing to do for a while and start now.

I'm looking for overall fitness and health as a lifestyle. However, I cannot say I don't wish to see physical improvements either. In any case, I have done plenty of diets in the past and I'm not looking for short term anymore. Because this is a big change, though, I'm starting somewhat slow so that I don't burn out and can maintain the things I implement. I've already started, just looking for advice on the right track.

Great attitude, which is why I think you should focus on interesting. People who commit long term (and I do not mean a couple of years as long term) to an active lifestyle or to an exercise routine, they are doing because they have found out something they love (or several somethings over the course of years). Focus on interesting, and the rest will follow.

So true. And I think you always have to create new goals to keep it interesting. I play tennis and workout to make my game better. But I'm at a point where I need to step it up a notch--maybe compete. Others may sign up for a Marathon or Spartan Race.

I think you just have to start somewhere. Dedicate 30 days (a good goal). Once you get momentum and build confidence you may find it easier to find your direction.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm extremely intimidated to use the free weights at the gym since I'm so new to all of this and it's always full of very fit people who seem to know what they're doing.

Everyone in there was in there for the first time once. Try not to be intimidated :)

• KetoNurse77
    KetoNurse77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ...but I have limited time and cannot implement a ton of training aong with my cardio at the moment.

With your limited time, have you checked in to HIIT? I've read something that really highly intense exercise can show benefits in a fraction of the time as regular "cardio".

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ...but I have limited time and cannot implement a ton of training aong with my cardio at the moment.

With your limited time, have you checked in to HIIT? I've read something that really highly intense exercise can show benefits in a fraction of the time as regular "cardio".

I've looked into tabata and hiit before, but I'm not advanced enough to be able to do these programs safely or effectively yet. Maybe someday in the future.