Need help with things I should eat that are a non fat diet

Options
hello my name is Nicole , I am having issues with my gallbladder was told to go on a no fat diet , what are good foods to eat and what foods to stay away from ? . Feel free to add me to keep me on the right track .

Replies

• KetoNurse77
    KetoNurse77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would be leery of a non-fat diet for gallbladder issues. A popular theory regarding the formation of gallstones in the first place is that a low fat diet can contribute to this as the bile isn't being pumped out of the gallbladder, leading to the formation of gallstones. Fat will get things moving.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low fat is what causes gall bladder disease in the first place! You need to slowly increase healthy fats, but take an Enzymedica Digest Gold capsule with every meal to aid in digestion.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No-fat diet? Who told you that? Fat is essential for bodily functions.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I thought the recommendation was for a low rather than no fat diet?

In any event you don't need to make this harder than it has to be. Eat a diet rich in vegetables, moderate amounts of fruit and lean meat, fish, grains, nuts and seeds to preference, keep consumption of "fast" or "junk" food in check and hopefully that will help your issues.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what bothers you personally. Dairy (particularly cheese) reliably triggered gallbladder attacks for me. But I could eat an infinite amount of nuts with no issues at all.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would be leery of a non-fat diet for gallbladder issues. A popular theory regarding the formation of gallstones in the first place is that a low fat diet can contribute to this as the bile isn't being pumped out of the gallbladder, leading to the formation of gallstones. Fat will get things moving.

I came here to say this exact thing! I would be wary of cutting out fats if you have gallbladder issues.
    Most people with gallbladder problems seem to have certain foods that trigger them - for me it's anything oily, for some people it's eggs or dairy. I can eat masses of cheese with no problems but Chinese food kills me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need to check with your doctor on no fat versus low fat. That is a drastic difference...
  • nikkimtsk
    nikkimtsk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had gallstones for years before finally decided to get rid of my gallbladder. Best decision for me btw. You will have to figure out what are your trigger foods. I never had problems with high fat foods, but couldn't drink any milk at all or eat too much protein. Best to log your food and when you're not feeling well check what might have caused it. You need fat in your diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very low-fat diet. Read the labels. You're about to be surprised by how much fat is in everything, lol. It's REALLY frustrating at first, especially if you eat a lot of processed foods.

Fruits, veggies, small amounts of lean, white meats, no-fat dairy.

Start getting creative with your cooking! Utilize herbs and spices. Buy them fresh when you can and buy the spices from places with yummy, good quality ones like World Spice Merchants or Penzey's. There is a world of difference between those and the pathetic ones in jars at the supermarket (McCormick leaps to mind.)

It was a HUGE adjustment for me. And a tough one. I struggled. But I did it and you can, too. :)

Try to consult with a dietitian, if you can. Your doctor could refer you to one. They're really helpful on matters of special diets for health issues! :)