Military Diet?

Options
Has anyone tried the military diet? It seems way too good to be true..but I've heard that it actually works. Can anyone confirm this, any success stories?
http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are right, it is too good to be true! It teaches you nothing about healthy, long term eating!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's just an 1100-1200 calorie diet. There is nothing special about the food combos that make burn more fat than any other foods totaling the same calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a silly, arbitrary plan. There's nothing magic in the food combo and it truly has nothing to do with the military. it "works" because it restricts your calories. If you ate that number of calories of any combo of foods, you'd lose weight.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's a lousy VLCD and it is too good to be true.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get 1200 calories. :)
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Tried it, lost, regained
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it and honestly, know nothing about what it involves (although I DO know it doesn't actually involve the military whatsoever, odd) - but it'll certainly work if it involves a calorie deficit. Please make sure this isn't a restrictive, quick fix however. The more sustainable your plan, the more likely it is you'll stick to and it and as a result, will maintain your loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a crash diet. Great for people who like to lose and gain the same five or ten pounds over and over again by crash dieting, but not a good idea for people who are serious about losing a lot of weight.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    mdoljansky wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the military diet? It seems way too good to be true..but I've heard that it actually works. Can anyone confirm this, any success stories?
    http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/

It's really just a gimmick that has nothing to do with the military and promotes a set very low calorie diet in hopes of quick losses. In reality the military feeds the crap out of people, especially when they are working out hard. When I trained in the Arctic regions we were probably eating 4000-5000 calories a day. We stayed thin due to burning a lot of calories, not starving.

There are a lot of ways to lose the first few pounds quick, especially since a lot of it is water weight. Then after that you realize you are hungry as crap, have no real plan other than to starve yourself, and most either give up entirely or binge eat then go back to the craziness.

It's way easier, smarter, and healthier to set yourself up for long term success. Figure out your long term goal, set a reasonable loss per week, integrate exercise to help you strengthen and burn more calories, and enjoy life as you lose weight. Losing a few pounds shouldn't be about agony and craziness, it's simply about changing some basic things.
  • CharlotteALC93
    CharlotteALC93 Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I got a load from people when I posted about it here too. I did it, lost 5 lbs and I've kept it off. It won't do you any harm if you want to give it a go. x
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The military diet is nonsense and the name is ridiculous. If in the military you burn huge calories daily and consume huge calories daily. If you were in the military and tried to survive on those rations you would end up in the sick bay.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

cosign

OP - just set MFP to a half pound or pound per week loss and eat to that number.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

great, so you lost five pound of water weight and kept if off …awesome...
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

if you lost 5 pounds(of fat) that means you were in a 17,500 calorie deficit in this 3 day time. You think you were able to actually do this? All you lost was water weight. The objective is to lose fat which take 3,500 for every pound of fat. This is a process that takes time and a consistent calorie deficit.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's a bad idea. the weight you lose is usually mostly water and it will be gained back when you go back to normal eating.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I got a load of *kitten* from people when I posted about it here too. I did it, lost 5 lbs and I've kept it off. It won't do you any harm if you want to give it a go. x

great, so you lost five pound of water weight and kept if off …awesome...

This.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Yep, just another diet plan set up to confuse the unknowledgeable.