What keeps you motivated to go work out??

So I hate exercising, but lately have been trying to get to the gym more. My problem is I get bored. Besides music, what helps you get motivated at the gym?

Replies

• mdoljansky
    mdoljansky Posts: 35 Member
    Feel free to add me btw!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Yes, the gym sucks, that's why I *awkward silence*
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Food! The more you work out, the more you can eat. Which is definitely important (to me at least) on a 1300 calorie diet.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I don't particularly like it either. I joined a gym on 1/25/15. I have gone every day since then, (except 2/2/15 there was a snow storm). Now it is just to keep my record going, hopefully until the end of the year. Keeping my streak going is what gets me up and going to the gym every morning. One hour faithfully every day and hopefully snow doesn't end my streak in the next 41 days, I am in Minnesota though, so that is not too likely. We are really on borrowed time for snow and it is definitely cold enough now.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Do something you don't hate. Pick a goal to accomplish something you don't think is possible. Running race, crossfit event thing, some weight lift goal, a focused dance class, something.

I run, but I'm never going to say I LOVE it. I'd rather have sex/watch movies/eat cheetos/play video games all day but as an adult I work at a job, pay taxes, go shopping and workout.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    What motivates me, is how much harder it is next time, the time after to go, if I just don't bother this time.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    How I look naked & food. My body is changing and it's looking good so that's a huge motivator.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2015
    what are you doing for your workouts? i would suggest finding an activity that you actually enjoy for the most part and do that...not that you'll be 100% motivated all of the time, but it's a lot easier if you're doing things you enjoy.

people tend to have a very narrow view of what constitutes exercise or a good workout, so they put themselves in this little box...when all they really need to do is expand their view on exercise activity.

personally, i'd be bored out of my gored if i was always droning away on some piece of cardio equipment or jumping around my living room to a DVD...i love to cycle and i ride my *kitten* off. i also enjoy weight training, particularly the olympic lifts...so i do that too and it's the only reason i even belong to a gym as i do my cycling outside. sometimes in-climate weather forces me indoors, but it has to be pretty nasty out for me not to hop on my bike.

also note that motivation is an emotion...and an overrated and fleeting one at that. nobody is motivated to do all the things they need to do all of the time. we all do things every single day that we aren't necessarily "motivated" to do. discipline is ultimately what is necessary...discipline leads to consistency and consistency is what ultimately wins the day.
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    I quite like going to the gym, but on days I can not be arsed I just remember how good I feel on the drive home after I do go. It usually pushes me to go, and I do leave happy I went.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I will echo the advice to keep trying different things until you find what you like. After that? Keep mixing things up to stay interested if you feel yourself getting bored.

After that? I agree with cwolfman. Motivation is overrated. Exercise should really be about habit. I feel as uncomfortable not exercising as I do not brushing my teeth. It's just become part of my life. Even on my rest days, I at least take a walk.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I focus on a fitness goal. Run intervals/incline on the treadmill changing it up every minute or so. People watch. I think about food or sex too, lol.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I don't go to the gym. It bores me to tears --So can't help you there. But this is what I do, and what keeps me motivated:

• Running = I love seeing all the wild life when I am outdoors (I am normally *very* indoorsy) and I love the relaxed and mellow feeling I get after a run

• Kettlebells = I feel powerful and my core is so much stronger! So no more back pain :)

• Yoga = is like a balancing tool for my body. Gentle yoga is like a massage (and much cheaper) Power yoga is energizing and makes me limber and free

• Hula hoop / trampoline / Indo Board = just fun!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what are you doing for your workouts? i would suggest finding an activity that you actually enjoy for the most part and do that...not that you'll be 100% motivated all of the time, but it's a lot easier if you're doing things you enjoy.

people tend to have a very narrow view of what constitutes exercise or a good workout, so they put themselves in this little box...when all they really need to do is expand their view on exercise activity.

personally, i'd be bored out of my gored if i was always droning away on some piece of cardio equipment or jumping around my living room to a DVD...i love to cycle and i ride my *kitten* off. i also enjoy weight training, particularly the olympic lifts...so i do that too and it's the only reason i even belong to a gym as i do my cycling outside. sometimes in-climate weather forces me indoors, but it has to be pretty nasty out for me not to hop on my bike.

also note that motivation is an emotion...and an overrated and fleeting one at that. nobody is motivated to do all the things they need to do all of the time. we all do things every single day that we aren't necessarily "motivated" to do. discipline is ultimately what is necessary...discipline leads to consistency and consistency is what ultimately wins the day.

2nd. So true.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    The entire wardrobe I don't fit in.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I feel better physically and mentally and emotionally if I work out which is a huge motivation -- that being said, I also pick activities I like with people I like. I found out that I am not someone who enjoys exercising by myself, so I do boot camp and cross fit although I sometimes like to jog or bicycle by myself. Good music is hugely motivating for me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Simple. I love to train. It's more a question of keeping me reigned in than forcing myself to go.
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    I stay motivated by mixing things up
    I run up hills or anywhere there and incline
    I work out outside whenever possible
    When I do go to they gym, I have my time planned out
    I go to yoga too
    Helps keep me balanced

I keep my workouts short and aim for 3 days week and the least

Have you thought of getting a work out partner?

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I don't particularly love the gym I go to, but I go because working out makes me feel great and I don't look half bad either. Now if only we could get new equipment, replace broken machines in a timely manner, have the gym open earlier on the weekends, be cleaner and have someone else...anyone else manage the gym....then yea I'd like it a little more
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Knowing that every single workout makes a difference...and that every skipped workout also makes a difference....It all depends on how bad I happen to want it that day, and usually, I REALLY want it..lol!
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    When people say wow you look good.. how often do you go to thegym??
    Or when I hear hey can u help me move next weekend. Only got 4 couches and 3 dressers upstairs hahahaha