When did you notice a difference?

Options
I have started eating extremely clean as of Monday and I'm feeling a lot better. My exercise is very limited due to my office job but am planning on doing some running this weekend. Just a general question, how long after you changed your eating did you start noticing a change in clothing and the scale? I know the general rule of thumb is approx 12 weeks before anything become noticeable, but would just appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    To be honest, I never quite saw a difference until I took some after pictures and, after I needed a belt for an overall that used to be a perfect fit. That was after two months, so it took me eight weeks to notice.
    However, even now, over five months later, my brain sometimes sees the obese girl I used to be. >.>
    It's annoying how long it's taking my brain to fully see that I'm at a healthy weight now when I look I the mirror, but when I take pictures and make comparisons, I definitely notice the difference.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am tall, and I was pretty surprised but not only did I notice after 6 weeks, but so did everyone I work with, and it was only about 5 pounds. I think it depends on where you lose first. I lose from the top down, and my face thins out quick.
  • morgancs21
    morgancs21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Actually notice a difference in a mirror it took me weeks last time I lost weight. (2 pregnancies since then and gained back). I had a bunch of false starts this time and kept getting discouraged because I didn't see a difference so this time I started measuring and in my first week now I am down 4.6lbs (mostly water weight and bloat) but I am all down .5 inches around my waist so even though I can't see the difference myself, I know I am smaller :). I also measure my arms, neck, hips, chest, and thighs to see where I am losing from.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You can eat as clean as the driven snow. Its a calorie deficit that leads to weight loss.

I've lost more inches then pounds. Took about 10 weeks to lose 20 lbs after the first two weeks with a 0 loss.. I weighed all my calorie intake with a scale.

But where I noticed it was my upper extremities. My face, neck and arms are way smaller. Down a shoe size too. Ive gone down 5 inches from my waist.

I never noticed until I started trying on clothes I wasn't wearing. (dress clothing)
    Its really eye opening.

However this is not my first rodeo with MFP. Joined 3 and a half years ago. Lost it and never did maintenance. Definitely learned from that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and started at 250. It was about sixty pounds before I was like, "Yes, I see a difference." I'm down almost 100 pounds total and I am honestly more disgusted by my body now than I was when I was fat. I think a lot of how we see ourselves is about how critical we are being. I cannot really look worse now (I don't think), but I often think I do look worse.

I didn't really notice that my healthier diet made me feel better. It wasn't until I slipped and ate a cheeseburger and fries that I realized eating that way made me feel uggy. I do feel better when I eat better, but it's rather hard to explain. When I eat greasy restaurant food, I'm just kind of uggy - I feel it and it's kind of gross.

I had some (a little) caramel yesterday (hello holidays!) and I didn't feel uggy after that, though.
  • Funkyfern2012
    Funkyfern2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Throughout my whole weight loss, when looking in the mirror I never saw a difference. Looking in the mirror now I still think I see the same as when I first started. But when I try on my old work and holiday clothes that's when I see how far I've come, which unfortunatly leads me to having to go clothes shopping.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am following my MFP calorie deficit along with walk/running. Thanks for your feedback guys! I'm gonna stick with my habits and be patient :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I've lost six pounds so far..and I'm having one of those days where I just want some visual proof that I'm getting somewhere!! Interesting repsonses here.. Proof we need to use the scale, tape measure…and camera to take before pictures so we can see the truth in whatever form it comes at us.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I started out with 26lbs to lose. After two weeks I noticed my stomach was much flatter, but I know that was due to being so bloated from all the garbage I was eating. Still encouraging to see though! It was about 2mos before I really started seeing something happen, and clothes began to fit different. I'm 4mos in now (21lbs lost), and seeing some nice changes. Just have to keep plodding along, and it keeps getting better. :smile:
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    It's been 2 1/2 months and I'm just starting to notice a visual difference.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just under 3 months before I noticed in the mirror, but I noticed my clothes feeling baggy way before then
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    A few weeks of clean eating (Cuz it makes me feel better) and calorie counting. However, the scale is my nemesis but my clothes fit much better after a few weeks. It's been 3 weeks of being really good with calories and exercise and my pants are starting to really sag. Hope that helps.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    On how I felt? within a couple of weeks of changing my diet.

On how I looked? I started seeing it and feeling it within a month but no one else noticed for a couple of months, until I was around 15-20lbs down.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I never 'changed' my eating - I don't eat 'clean'. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables (I only like green beans and broccoli) and I don't like fruit. The definition of 'Clean eating' varies from person to person but it isn't something I plan to do any time soon! If it's working for you and you think you can keep up your version of 'clean eating' then by all means continue and well done so far :) Remember though, you still need to be logging and measuring everything.

For me to personally notice the difference, it was after around 25 lbs - but I'm my own biggest critic. Others were noticing after around 15. Hang in there and keep at it :)

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I felt physically better after the first 15 pounds. I didn't have a, "Wow, I've lost weight," moment until I had taken off 70 pounds, even though I knew I had lost inches and rewarded myself with an outfit in a smaller size at 30 pounds lost. That's me, though. You only have 25ish pounds to lose.