Really struggling to find the motivation to exercise..

Options
How do you all do it?

Replies

• Bubu_Cakes
    Bubu_Cakes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just make yourself do it. Unhealthy stuff is great when you do it and sucks later. Healthy stuff sucks when you do it and you feel better later. It's all about delaying that gratification, and it's hard. Hang in there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Find something you like to do. Walking? Biking? Swimming? Gardening? Beach combing? Volleyball? Threw some stuff out there. LOL
  • vjjohnson3
    vjjohnson3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion when everything results in complete failure is to find a partner and schedule appointment at the gym or whatever the activity is. Once there is a gig, then people start showing up for rehearsal
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit Zip. I play games with myself to get my step total up. You can sign up for challenges with other Fitbit users. I haven't as I am happy to compete with myself but lots of people use the challenges as motivation.
  • sjmatthews71
    sjmatthews71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try and think of all the benefits you'll get from your chosen exercise. Yes. It can be difficult to start, but once you do and been doing it for a couple of weeks it will become like a drug and you will feel bad if you miss a session!

I try and go walking everyday, whether it's 1 mile or 5 miles it all counts. walking and complete change of diet for just over 14 months has resulted in me losing 2st in weight. My motivation is looking at old photographs and thinking i dont want to be that person again. You CAN do it, just find something you like go for it.... Good Luck!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I tried lots of things until I found activities I liked that I would stick with. Are you an introvert or extrovert? Do you have a budget?

These days I sign up for runs I have to prepare for. That keeps me stepping out the door.

I buy gadgets because I am a gadget girl. I'm experimenting with a MOOV right now.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    By looking at the mirror and not liking what I see.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    What dhimaan said was my first thought too.... Then, if that still doesn't work, I just MAKE myself...even if I don't want to. Motivation is one thing, but you can't count on it every day. DISCIPLINE. That is what will keep you working out. At least for me. Because I know, nothing's going to get any better if I just sit on my butt and think about it. So I just make myself, and by the time I'm done, I'm almost ALWAYS glad I did. Discipline, Consistency, and FAITH in yourself. If you have those three things, you can do ANYTHING. xo
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you get to eat more. Once you've done it for a while it does become a habit, believe it or not.

Start with something easy, like walking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking so if I don't lift I'll just get fat. It's pretty easy to be motivated when I think of that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Works for me. That's the best motivation there is.

All I do is make myself go. I tell myself that even if I do one rep, one set, it's better than doing nothing. Tell myself I'll just make it an easy day. Then once I get there, I get all motivated and end up having a good workout, and feel good afterward because I accomplished it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    dhimaan wrote: »

Works for me. That's the best motivation there is.

All I do is make myself go. I tell myself that even if I do one rep, one set, it's better than doing nothing. Tell myself I'll just make it an easy day. Then once I get there, I get all motivated and end up having a good workout, and feel good afterward because I accomplished it.
    This. But I tell myself all I need to do is get up every day at the same time, go into the living room, and hit "play" on my work out DVD.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I have a Labrador retriever. He's a great motivator. He NEEDS a lot of exercise. And he's more than happy to give me those huge brown puppy eyes and the most hopeful expression several times a day. It's nearly impossible to say no.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I just need to find the motivation to get started. Once started, the rest is easy.

"C'mon, Frank, just do the warm up and see how you feel after that. If we still feel like S### after that, we'll quit. Just the warm up. We can, at least, get that done. You'll feel better after the warm up."

Sure enough, after the warm up, the rest of the routine flows just fine and, before I know it, I'm cooling down and stretching. Exercise done.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use the Zombies Run app. It's got a story and makes it easier for me to walk. But then, I didn't start out with exercise. I didn't actually add any kind of consistent exercise until I was almost to maintenance. It's good for a lot of things, but you don't need it to lose weight. So if you're struggling with it right now, focus on calories in and getting your logging good first. Then, when you're in a good spot there, add it back in slowly. It's ok to start with something small and build on it as you get used to it. That made it a lot easier for me!