Quick, easy, cheap lunches

Options
alyssag2011
alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
edited November 2015 in Recipes
I'm a hair stylist and basically have to eat when I can fit it in, im just beginning my weight lose journey and I'm looking for some quick and easy to prepare foods that are good on a budget. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I usually have a tuna wrap. Quick and easy. I used a wrap, low sodium tuna with mayo and relish and lettuce. Sometimes, I include grated carrots. 218 calories.
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love using the 'cloud bread' with turkey lettuce and tomato. Favorite lunch with some fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of portable snacks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

The easiest cheapest lunches I find are leftovers. Sometimes I put it in a wrap. Soups are light, cheap, and easy too.
  • alyssag2011
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys!
  • Lizsyp
    Lizsyp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Leftover from the night before are my fave because I already know how many calories!
  • alyssag2011
    Options
    I have been eating chicken all week, just in different ways!
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    5-10 servings of Brown rice, (2) packages of frozen veggies (assorted), and (5) broiled chicken breasts (fat cut off). Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. Mix everything together and put in 5 containers. That's my lunch Monday thru Friday. Mix it up with different veggies, spices, etc. quick to warm up in the microwave, filling, and nutritious. Usually around 500 calories.

Add chopped up jerky to mixed nuts (I use raw nuts to avoid the sodium overload of salted or flavored nuts). Almonds and pistachios are my fav but you have to shop around to find them cheap. But this is a hug protein and energy snack. Watch your serving size though.
  • KimmieCapone
    KimmieCapone Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    KCEngr wrote: »
    5-10 servings of Brown rice, (2) packages of frozen veggies (assorted), and (5) broiled chicken breasts (fat cut off). Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces. Mix everything together and put in 5 containers. That's my lunch Monday thru Friday. Mix it up with different veggies, spices, etc. quick to warm up in the microwave, filling, and nutritious. Usually around 500 calories.

Add chopped up jerky to mixed nuts (I use raw nuts to avoid the sodium overload of salted or flavored nuts). Almonds and pistachios are my fav but you have to shop around to find them cheap. But this is a hug protein and energy snack. Watch your serving size though.

Where do you find cheap nuts?
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'll second on the rice + frozen veggies+ chicken. That's what I love/do daily
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I get tired of chicken, I use turkey instead. I like frozen turkey burgers... Cook a few at a time to use for when you can't cook later.
  • rbugher
    rbugher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are close to a Trader Joe's they have a huge variety of unsalted raw nuts that are cheap and great quality. I have a friend who purchases almonds, cashews etc from Amazon since she makes her own nut milk.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Where do you find cheap nuts?

Costco / Sams in the baking aisle. You can dry roast them in the microwave to improve flavor. I do spray some PAM on them if I go that route. Costco also has a decent blend of unsalted as well. If you keep to the serving sizes their prices on pistachios is decent as well.

Also this time of year you can find nuts in the shell, my particular favorites Hazelnuts / Filberts along with Brazil Nuts, in the shell cheap but you have to unshell them though it slows you down!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I get a sandwich bag and put in:

-1 can of tuna
    -1 TBSP of light mayo
    -1/2 TBSP of mustard
    -Pepper
    -Garlic Powder

I then put 5 - 10 Ritz crackers in a separate sandwich bag. The whole lunch costs like $2, and is usually about 400 calories.
  • alyssag2011
    Options
    All great ideas! Unfortunately, I eat like a child and am very picky. I don't care for tuna or most nuts. This is my biggest issue at the moment just finding food that tastes good to me and also is good for me.
  • mikepicker
    mikepicker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fruit, crackers,