Can any trainers or fit people offer me some strength training workout advice?

Options
paultireland
paultireland Posts: 285 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone, my name is Paul. I'm on a 133 pound weight-loss journey. My highest weight was 315 lbs, I started this journey at 303 lbs and I'm currently 254.7 lbs. I hope to reach 170 pounds by May 22, 2016 which is my daughter's birthday. She will be 9 years old on that day. We have never had a family photo because I'm so ashamed of my weight. When I reach my goal, we'll get a family photo and I will take her to Disneyland and I will ride the rides with her because she will finally be big enough and I will finally be small enough.

Now that the introduction is over....

I have mainly been doing cardio, but want to get some strength/resistance training (weight-lifting. I've found a few workouts online, but I really don't want to do a split routine. I would like to do a full body circuit training workout each time I go to the gym. I want to start off with machines, but once I am in much better shape and have a more regular workout schedule, I want to switch to a split routine using free weights.

I used to wrestle when I was younger so it's strange for me getting back to the gym after decades. I can't do a single pull-up and I used to be able to do 25. It's humbling to say the least. I can do 5 if I use 75-80 pounds of assistance on the pull-up machine, but I want to gradually reduce the amount of assistance until I can do regular pull-ups on my own.

I'm not sure how much I can lift right now for each exercise. That will be trial and error. I know I should be barely able to finish the last 3 reps on the last set so I will try each exercise accordingly.

I would like any thoughts you can offer. Should I just go down the row of machines doing each exercise? Should I do 3 sets of the same exercise before moving to the next machine, or just go through the row of machines 3 times? I know I want to lift before doing the cardio because it will burn off the glycogen and I'll get the best from lifting and the most benefit from the cardio.

Please help me to figure this whole thing out.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

53851436.png

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Choose free weights if you can. You will get more for your efforts. For instance, a compound free-weight lift can engage more muscles than fixed machine. I tried the Smith machine while on vacation and didn't even work up a sweat. Then I switched over to the Dumbbells and really got a good core, leg and arm workout in less time than if I spent hours on the machines.

Others will chime in with weight-lifting programs as well as simple body-weight circuits. I would choose any of these over machines.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why not start with a free weight full body routine? All Pro's at bodybuilding.com is pretty good, and lots of people like Starting Strength and Strong Lifts. If you really want machines, I'd browse muscleandstrength.com and bodybuilding.com.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Read this:

Resistance Training Foundation

and you'll probably know more than most of the people who post on this board.
  • rileyes
    Options
    Also, since you are a former wrestler, you may like moves like the Turkish Get-Up that you could incorporate into a bodyweight circuit. What kind of conditioning did you do to prepare for your matches?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Stronglifts 5x5. It's a great way to get started lifting. it's great for someone in your position.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness and many other programs exist. I also second the idea of jumping into free weights early, but I fully understand the idea of starting with machines to get your head space in a place where you feel comfortable moving into the free weights.

The downside of machines that is addressed by free weights is the importance of stabilizer muscles. Stabilizer muscles are really where it's at for preventing injury and being able to continue lifting in the long term and machines have a difficult time hitting those.

That said, do what you are comfortable with to start and expand from there. There's no reason to worry about being optimal if those aren't your goals. If your goal is to lose weight and get healthier, then any exercise will assist with that.

Another option that you might consider is a full body body-weight routine such as YAYOG or convict conditioning.

Just a few thoughts.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is the best beginner workout I've seen. I'd recommend having a friend record you for a set of your squats and deadlifts every couple of weeks until you perfect your form (form is much more important than how much weight you lift). Which ever workout you decide to go with, I totally recommend that deadlifts be on the list. It's the single most important lift you can do
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are plenty of programmes and you will probably get links to all of them.

I started the All Pro programme today, well an adapted version to suit my strength. (the following is not for purist eyes :) )

7 lifts.

Squat.
    I use a heavy body bar as a 45 empty bar is too heavy.

Bench Press.
    I did the seated chest press machine.

Bent Over Row.
    I used the seated row machine.

Overhead Press.
    I did a standing OhP using dumb bells.

Stiff Leg Dead Lift.
    I used an empty 45lb bar.

Barbell Curl.
    I used dumb bells.

Calf Raises.
    As defined, using dumb bells.

Most of the programmes can be adapted to suit ones needs, and if you feel you want to incorporate machines they will work. You will just miss some of the benefits of free weights. Also when you transfer to free weights there is a good chance you may have to drop the weight a little.

I adapted All Pro because I am 62yo, 5'1, 103lb and a 45lb bar is too heavy for me right now. My thinking is; I have to start somewhere or I won't start at all.

Cheers, h.

MFP inactive All pro group:
    ( lots of good info)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/12707-all-pros-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines

All Pro site:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761
  • paultireland
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Also, since you are a former wrestler, you may like moves like the Turkish Get-Up that you could incorporate into a bodyweight circuit. What kind of conditioning did you do to prepare for your matches?

Mostly body weight stuff, leg lifts, 2 knuckle narrow grip, or wide grip pushups, situps, running, pullups, peg board. rope climbing, dips, jumping jacks, and wrestling drills for 4 hours a day.
  • paultireland
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. I will look into all of it. You guys are awesome for helping me out!
  • rileyes
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Mostly body weight stuff, leg lifts, 2 knuckle narrow grip, or wide grip pushups, situps, running, pullups, peg board. rope climbing, dips, jumping jacks, and wrestling drills for 4 hours a day.

You may want to try a 15-minute circuit of those moves. For instance do 4 sets of 15 reps of push/pull exercises. You can build strength and endurance with timed circuits. Try to keep them challenging.

I like the following moves. You can find variations for each.

Workout A (5-10 minutes)
    Squat (chair, ATG, single-leg, weighted...)
    Push-up (wall, counter, chair, floor, handstand...)
    Pull-up (suspension row, assisted chin-up, weighted...)
    Sit-up (floor, elevated, weighted...)
    Bridge (floor, single-leg elevated, weighted...)

Workout B (10-15 minutes)
    Lunge (static, walking, weighted...)
    Plank (RKC, side, elevated...)
    Step-up (step, chair, weighted...)
    Pull-up

I like the following as a warm-up (5-10 minutes)
    (add more sets and this could also be a killer circuit):

jumping jacks
    10 burpees
    15 squats
    30 mt. climbers
    15 dips
    10 burpees
    10 side lunges
    40 high knees
    5 push-ups
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't have any new advice to give (I agree with Starting Strength or Strong Lifts) but I just wanted to say good for you! You'll be giving your daughter not only a birthday to remember, but the gift of a healthy dad who will be around for many years. Don't give up, even when you have a challenging day (or week).
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wishing you lots of luck. You are awesome!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the best place for new weight lifters to start is either Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. I would definitely recommend that you read the book "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training" by Mark Rippetoe from cover to cover and I would also recommend that you watch the "So you think you can squat", "So you think you can bench" and "So you think you can deadlift" video series' on Youtube. These videos will help you learn how to properly execute the lifts which is the biggest challenge for most new lifters. Great job on your weight loss!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would say Stronglifts 5X5 is great depending on if you have the equipment or can adapt it such as if you have a planet fitness membership. I would say do free weights of possible. Other than that use machines and hit bodyweight exercises. Bridging from knowledge and exercises in convict conditioning you could superset bodyweight exercises with machines or free weights. Upper body example is below Also, i am aware that you don't want to do splits but look at Jim Stoppani Shortcut to shred. I have never tried it but I know it is legitimate as it uses the same principles we use to get in shape like in bootcamps, conditioning, etc. Nowloss.com has some great content as well.

Incline chest press machine to inverted row.
    Row machine to wall push ups
    Assisted pull up to pike push up on bench
    Shoulder press to vertical pull

So I would recommend Shortcut to Shred 1st. If not Stronglifts 5X5 and some cardio at night like the nowloss.com jumping jack workout. Lastly, if neither of the previous work the machine or free weight to bodyweight exercises I recommend to go along with your usual cardio. You could always message me if this didn't make sense or scheduling is more challenging than usual. I am a personal trainer and I offer free advice. Also, your daughter is awesome since she has my birthday :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program for beginners like strong lifts 5x5 or all pro beginner routine...
  • paultireland
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just saw that there's a phone app for the Stronglifts 5x5 so I am on it.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just saw that there's a phone app for the Stronglifts 5x5 so I am on it.

Definitely think this is a good idea if you are up for free weights - I've used it as a beginner and seen great results so with your background I would imagine progress will initially be pretty amazing and therefore quite motivating!
    If you really want to stick to machines initially you could adapt it to use leg press, shoulder press, seated row, chest press and maybe add lat pull down or something. I don't know that this is a great idea because I would actually suggest just following the program with free weights but I fully understand the security offered by machines and sometimes the access to suitable equipment!
    Good luck, you have awesome goals and beat reasons for making it work!