endometriosis and working out

Options
Hi everyone, Ive shifted just over 10lbs on dieting alone and Im so happy with the changes it has made for my health! However I would love to start working out to get toned up and tighten up my lose skin but Im struggling...
With my endometriosis I get sharp pains in my sides if I move around too much (even with the meds), I tried jogging but its too painful, sit ups and other excercises around the mid section is also a nightmare. However walking seems to be manageable and I love every second of it, but its hard to find the time between work.
Basicly what Im asking is does anyone know any other excercises I can try that wont strain the body too much?

Thanks!

Replies

• Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and have nevet had a problem working out.
  • Myself4good
    Myself4good Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello and sorry to hear you suffer from this disease! I have had bad endo for years myself and I know how hard it can be. Everyone's journey and pain level with this disease is different. Some have a ton of endo and little pain and others have a few lesions and horrific pain. A lot of it has to do with where the endo is located. I myself have a ton of pain and stage 4 endo, so I know where you're coming from.

One thing that had helped me tremendously is keeping a food and pain diary to help me identify triggers for inflammation. Once I found my trigger foods, I did my best to cut them back or eliminate them from my diet completely if possible, and this helped my pain SO much. After a couple weeks, you'll begin to see patterns and inflammatory reactions to foods. Some women start with cutting out dairy and gluten and processed sugar. For me personally, sugar I've found is by far my biggest trigger for bad pain.

Also, if you live in an area with a pelvic physical therapist, see if your doc can get you a referral if needed to see one. I haven't been yet but have friends who have and they said it's been invaluable in helping with their pain.

If you have access to a pool, I'd also recommend that, as it's more gentle on the body and you can get a great workout in. I love swimming and tend to not feel my endo pain as bad. I'm about to start weight lifting myself soon, along with walking, as high-impact cardio jars my body too much for comfort. I've been reading about how much lifting can help increase metabolism, which also is not as jarring.

I hope his helps. Wishing you as many pain-free days as possible! :)

• alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful info! Gonna start looking into swimming and start from there. Thanks! :)