Options
pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
Or not?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I grew up on stuffed turkey and love stuffing in the bird but I no longer cook a whole bird that way. Instead, I cut the bird into quarters and cook the four pieces skin-side-up on a bed of celery, carrots and onions cut in big pieces. The vegetables steam up into the turkey and keeps it very moist. An advantage of quartering the bird is that I can cook the white meat for a shorter time than the dark so it doesn't overcook. I also butterfly chicken and use this method. Here's a link to my recipe for doing a chicken this way:

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/moist-roast-chicken-butterflied.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    yes...my sourdough stuffing in the main cavity and a sausage stuffing in the small cavity.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No, we don't stuff. Cornbread and sausage stuffing on the side.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I put onion, lemon and herb in mine for flavor. The stuffing or dressing is served on the side.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I make a cornbread stuffing, but I serve it on the side, not in the bird.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    I make a cornbread stuffing, but I serve it on the side, not in the bird.

while i do stuff my bird, the stuffing itself is served on the side...it is just cooked in the bird. it is scooped out into a serving dish during the carving.
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    The idea of stuffing it is disgusting to me by itself but its "traditional" so I thought I'd gauge others opinions. I likely won't stuff mine seeing as scooping stuffing out of a birds rear and then eating it seems pretty nasty
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I put an onion or lemon in the turkey but we don't eat those.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We make two kinds of stuffing - one in the bird and one out of the bird. That way everyone is covered. Personally, I like both just fine.

I also take out all of the organs and boil them in water, then give the broth to the animals so that they can have a treat on Thanksgiving too.
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    grew up on stuffed bird for thanksgivings. favorite memory was when i was a kid and my mom preheated the oven, somehow forgot that our family hoards things in the oven due to lack of space and owning too many things, and basically set all the crap in the oven on fire. B)
    no longer eat meat, and for thanksgiving this year i will be working for that sweet sweet time and a half.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I stuff with veggies, but no bread: celery, onion, carrot, and some herbs. I don't serve the veggies, but I will add them to the stock that I make with the carcass.

Cornbread and oyster dressing on the side.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I also take out all of the organs and boil them in water, then give the broth to the animals so that they can have a treat on Thanksgiving too.

My father used that to make giblet gravy. I toss the liver but cook the other gizzards, neck and back with the rest of the bird and later boil them with the bones and veggies to make stock for soup, gravy and the freezer.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I stuff it. I do scoop it out when everything is done and serve it on the side. I use the gizzards to boil for gravy.
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I put an onion or lemon in the turkey but we don't eat those.

That's an idea
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love that a 22 year old posed this question! I stuff the turkey and make more in the oven. Stuffing is my absolute favorite part of the meal and I want to make sure there's enough for leftovers!
  • cgisme2014
    cgisme2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As an ex chef I bone out the legs (off the carcase) then roll them and stuff them. Also giblets for gravy then bones for soup - makes it go a long way B)
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The idea of stuffing it is disgusting to me by itself but its "traditional" so I thought I'd gauge others opinions. I likely won't stuff mine seeing as scooping stuffing out of a birds rear and then eating it seems pretty nasty
    I find it gross too!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I stuff it with onions, carrots , celery and herbs and it keeps it moist and flavors the meat beautifully. I don't pack it in tight but do fill the cavity. I also have the same mix of veggies loose in the pan to roast and soak up pan drippings as well as an inch or two of water. We don't eat the stuffed part of the veg but I do skim some fat from the pan then puree the pan veggies with remaining liquid to make a to-die-for gravy (some balsamic vinegar is also in it because I baste the bird in a reduction of it toward the end of cooking ). Don't even have to add flour to it.

Dressing (stuffing ) gets made in its own pan with boiled, chopped inner parts the turkey comes with as well as the broth made by the boiling. That way it gets the turkey flavor.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes. I put it on my plate and stuff it into my mouth. B)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    stuffing a turkey doesnt make sense to me really

seems to draw moisture from the meat, and in order to get the stuffing to proper temp, you would need to overcook the bird

cooking the stuffing/ dressing by itself is preferred (and it gets crispy on top which is awesome)