Gym

Been exercising for a year now. I love it but still no toned tummy. I feel like it's a waste of time going gym but ive stuck at it. Anybody else feel like this?? X

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Yes, that's why I don't go.
  • kellymkeefe
    kellymkeefe Posts: 4 Member
    A bit of cardio = rowing machine. Abs exercise resistance training on weights.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I don't know what a toned stomach is, is that something like what you would do to a musical instrument?

If you are asking how to get better body composition then you need to make sure that you are hitting micros and macros and are on a structured lifting regimen like strong lifts, and that you are eating in a caloric deficit. Or a surplus if you are bulking, or maintenance if you are recomping….

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't know what a toned stomach is, is that something like what you would do to a musical instrument?

If you are asking how to get better body composition then you need to make sure that you are hitting micros and macros and are on a structured lifting regimen like strong lifts, and that you are eating in a caloric deficit. Or a surplus if you are bulking, or maintenance if you are recomping….

C'mon, you know exactly what the OP means. Everyone knows what a person means when they say 'toned'. There is no need to jump on it every time the word is used :|
  • ndj1979
    KeepGood wrote: »

C'mon, you know exactly what the OP means. Everyone knows what a person means when they say 'toned'. There is no need to jump on it every time the word is used :|

i dont, please explain to me what "toned" is….
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member

Websters dictionary describes tone (verb) as to give strength or firmness.

• ndj1979
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Strange, that's not how tone is defined here...http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tone
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    She wants a flatter stomach
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member

Strange, that's not how tone is defined here...http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tone

tone up,
    to give a higher or stronger tone to.
    to gain or cause to gain in tone or strength:
    toning up little-used muscles.

From your own link. Everyone knows what the OPs intentions are, so going out of your way to act as though the word police are offended is rather pointless.

@kellymkeefe @ohmscheeks

Most of the things that come into the picture are explained fairly well in the thread that @strong_curves posted.

In short, two primary things lead to lack of a flat or toned stomach. Excess fat in the stomach area, which can only be reduced by deficit and overall fat loss, or lack of defined muscle underneath that fat.

We all have fat, but we all store it differently. Some people have to get leaner to become more defined in a certain area. But personally I think the muscle base is much more important. As an example, imagine fat as nothing but a layer of jello. If you put it on a surface that isn't very solid it's... well like jello. It shakes and jiggles, and moves and conforms to what is supporting it. Take that same layer of jello and lay it over a solid base such as the edge of your sink or counter top. It may not be perfectly smooth, but with a proper support underneath it follow the contour much better and removes all but a few small "bumps".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Eat at a calorie defecit to lose body fat

Do lots of progressive compound lifts - OHP, squat, deadlift, clean and press, rows

Eat sufficient protein
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Do lots of progressive compound lifts - OHP, squat, deadlift, clean and press, rows

Eat sufficient protein

/thread
  • ndj1979
    robertw486 wrote: »

tone up,
    to give a higher or stronger tone to.
    to gain or cause to gain in tone or strength:
    toning up little-used muscles.

From your own link. Everyone knows what the OPs intentions are, so going out of your way to act as though the word police are offended is rather pointless.

@kellymkeefe @ohmscheeks

Most of the things that come into the picture are explained fairly well in the thread that @strong_curves posted.

In short, two primary things lead to lack of a flat or toned stomach. Excess fat in the stomach area, which can only be reduced by deficit and overall fat loss, or lack of defined muscle underneath that fat.

We all have fat, but we all store it differently. Some people have to get leaner to become more defined in a certain area. But personally I think the muscle base is much more important. As an example, imagine fat as nothing but a layer of jello. If you put it on a surface that isn't very solid it's... well like jello. It shakes and jiggles, and moves and conforms to what is supporting it. Take that same layer of jello and lay it over a solid base such as the edge of your sink or counter top. It may not be perfectly smooth, but with a proper support underneath it follow the contour much better and removes all but a few small "bumps".

oh you mean body recomposition …Ok, I understand now.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Been exercising for a year now. I love it but still no toned tummy. I feel like it's a waste of time going gym but ive stuck at it. Anybody else feel like this?? X

If you have still weight to lose, and if you have not been losing, focus on diet. You can have strong abs, hidden by body fat.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member

In lieu of a thanks button; +1
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member

+2. Thank you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

+2. Thank you.

+3
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Eat sufficient protein
    This.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    The understanding of the word "toned" has less to do with us knowing what people mean, and more to do with people understanding their goal and how to achieve it. You cannot tone a muscle, so I'm not sure how you would even try?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    if you have excess fat in the belly area, no exercise is going to fix that...having visible abdominal muscles is all about being really lean plus having muscle in the first place. As that goes, I'd recommend an established, structured program...New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start. You're going to have a lot more efficient results following something that's already been structured and laid out for you...programming your own routine takes a lot of knowledge and doing infinite amounts of ab isolation work isn't necessary either.

beyond that, exercise goes way beyond aesthetics...your overall health and well being is never a waste of time. as aesthetics go, a "fitness" body is derived from a fitness centric lifestyle and healthy eating habits over time...as in years, not a handful of weeks or months of working out.