Sugar replacements?

Options
I just found out I have a condition that makes me insulin-resistant, but I love to bake (especially for the holidays) and I'm wondering if anyone has some good ideas or resources to replacing sugar in baked goods?

I've seen honey, and am looking into Stevia, but any other suggestions are helpful!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had good results with the Splenda that's made for baking. The texture and taste -- to me -- were indistinguishable. Some people do report an aftertaste with Splenda, but it's not something that I have noticed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have had good results with the Splenda that's made for baking. The texture and taste -- to me -- were indistinguishable. Some people do report an aftertaste with Splenda, but it's not something that I have noticed.

This^

Baked goods seem to brown a little faster with Splenda, but otherwise everything tastes the same.

I've got a bag of Truvia....I've not experimented with it yet.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Splenda/sucralose is pretty good stuff.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've baked with both splenda and stevia. I know others swear by erythritol, but I've never tried it.

Good luck!
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    agave nectar? I'm not sure if it would work or not but maybe check it out and see
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are studies that say stevia helps with insulin resistance. I stick with that. If I'm going to bake I just use honey or maple syrup and count it, since it should be a treat anyways. I've heard honey makes things brown faster though. When and if you use stevia, make sure it's really stevia and not a blend. Truvia is only a very small part stevia.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Aren't honey and agave nectar also sugars? You can argue that they are used as replacement for white sugar, but surely in terms of your body's reaction to it they are just sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I get an awfully strong after taste, nothing like sugar.

Xylitol is the only one I can use that tastes great.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    Aren't honey and agave nectar also sugars? You can argue that they are used as replacement for white sugar, but surely in terms of your body's reaction to it they are just sugar.

Yes they are. Even though they may still be considered natural sugar along with maple syrup. They're all classified as sugar, added or not.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I go with the Hermesetas brand over here. Not because I am trying to limit sugar, but because it means I get two cups of tea for the price of one! (calorie wise).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Splenda for me.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When I cut sugar, honey, agave, all of those 'trendy' sugar substitutes went too because frankly, if the body does not know how to handle white sugar, it doesn't know how to handle those either. I do use very small amounts of Truvia (like one packet in a recipe that makes 2 pies). I really enjoy baking as well and when I learned I needed to cut sugar I was afraid I wouldn't be able to bake anymore. I have gotten really creative. There isn't necessarily a one size fits all recipes substitute. I look for recipes that look easily modifiable. The more you think in terms of no sugar, the better you get at knowing what works. I blog at www.lizmcvey.wix.com/inthelongrun and I post my recipes there. Some of my older recipes have honey but I've been working on revising and have been posting revisions as I test different options. Good luck, don't get discouraged, it will become more natural and feel less restrictive the more you do it.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    OP, the sad thing is that most of the fake sugars raise your blood sugar, even though your body doesn't use them for calories. In fact, some of them raise it more than sugar. This means they're just as bad as sugar for someone with insulin resistance. :( I'd suggest some reading about the glycemic index of anything you're thinking about trying.

Of everything mentioned, stevia is the only one that doesn't raise your blood sugar. I've been using Truvia in my coffee since this summer & recently got a pure stevia because of the erythritol in Truvia. I'm finding it was the erythritol that made me like Truvia more than other stevias I've tried in the past. Bummer. I just started reading up on erythritol, and at first glance it's not as bad as the others. But I'm not that knowledgeable yet.

There are some recipes about baking with stevia on the internet, but I haven't tried any yet. I hear it's pretty different to bake with. So definitely don't substitute 1:1. Good luck!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    OP, the sad thing is that most of the fake sugars raise your blood sugar, even though your body doesn't use them for calories. In fact, some of them raise it more than sugar. This means they're just as bad as sugar for someone with insulin resistance. :( I'd suggest some reading about the glycemic index of anything you're thinking about trying.

Of everything mentioned, stevia is the only one that doesn't raise your blood sugar. I've been using Truvia in my coffee since this summer & recently got a pure stevia because of the erythritol in Truvia. I'm finding it was the erythritol that made me like Truvia more than other stevias I've tried in the past. Bummer. I just started reading up on erythritol, and at first glance it's not as bad as the others. But I'm not that knowledgeable yet.

There are some recipes about baking with stevia on the internet, but I haven't tried any yet. I hear it's pretty different to bake with. So definitely don't substitute 1:1. Good luck!

So, how do they raise your blood sugar if they, you know, don't contain any sugar?
  • yguerne
    yguerne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like xylitol or erythritol mixed with stevia. The X/E adds the bulk, while the stevia brings up the sweetening power, as they are less sweet than white sugar. They do have a slight cooling effect, but depending on what you're making, you may not notice it, and even if you do, it may not bother you. I've codked a lot with non-sugar sweeteners and have found you get the best taste with mixing 2 or 3 different sweeteners. I don't like Splenda at all, but mixing the sugar alcohols with stevia or monk fruit gives me good results.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you have IR and are cutting sugars, don't substitute other sugars for table sugar. Honey, agave, maple syrup, coconut sugar, palm sugar, dates, whatever, they are all sugars.

Sugar alcohols are a fine substitute to a certain extent. Many with IR find they affect their blood sugars too, but to a lesser degree than sugars.

Sugar substitutes that are powdered usually have maltodextrin, or even sugar, added as a filler. It is a starch or sugar and will still convert to glucose in the blood. For many with IR, granulated or powdered sugar substitutes should be used sparingly (IMO).

I use stevia drops in my cooking and baking. On ocassion I use powdered stevia.

Be aware that baking from grains is usually high carb which means higher glucose - not always what someone with IR wants. Almond and coconut flour are some of the lowest carb flours. Flax and chia meal, as well as hemp, is higher in protein and lower in carbs too. Paleo cookbooks use those ingredients a lot.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For the holidays (and esp for guests), I would stick with your tried and true recipes because those other sugars are not direct substitutions and sometimes need practice.
    For now, reduce some carbs/sugar/fruit in other places.
    Enjoy the holidays with small portions.