Help for a newbie

Options
Hi

Just started the gym, I am 6,1 and currently just over 14.5 stone but have hardly any muscle, Wanting to ideally get down to a 13 - 13.5 stone while also building muscle and generally getting fitter.

Wondered if anyone could give me tips on the best workout pattern to combine the 2, Ideal wanting to go the gym 3/4 times a week and ideally play another sport in between to mix it up a little such as squash.

EG what excercises to do when i go the gym each time and what sort of calories i should be consuming.

Replies

• PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of beginner level workouts out there for you to choose from. My favorite was the stronglifts 5x5. Whichever you choose if you want to add strength and muscle you should be doing squats twice a week and deadlifts once a week. Since you're just starting out I'd recommend watching several youtube videos on form to make sure you get them right. Form is way more important than weight with those two. Plus it wouldn't hurt to record yourself doing the lift every couple of weeks so you know you have it figured out. For the calories, just set your target weight in mfp and it'll tell you what to shoot for. Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I have just started All Pro. It too is a good progressive weight lifting programme for beginers. Similar moves to a 5x5, but a different approach. It too is run 3 alternating days a week.
    It just depends what suits you best.

Do a little cardio on your off days if you wish. It is good for your cardiovascular systems.

For your calories go with what MFP assigns you to achieve your weekly loss. Eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. You need to feed your burn. Weight lifting burns few calories, relatively speaking, so track you loss, and if you are losing too fast, up your calories. You may want to alter your macros so you are getting more protien, it will help in muscle retention as you lose.

Cheers, h.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761