cardio ... how much is to much?

Hi,

At the moment I am not doing any exercise (except walking) and I am thinking of taking a gym membership.
This makes me wonder how much cardio one should do a day?

What kind of activites do you do and for how long?

thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2015
    I cycle...usually around 80 miles per week, sometimes more, sometimes a little less depending on time and what's going on. my weekday rides are usually about an hour...I usually do a longer ride on the weekend...basically I ride 4-5 days per week on average. This gives me a good base of cardiovascular fitness and endurance so it's pretty easy to ramp up from there if I want to go do a 1/2 century or century ride.

I also lift weights 2-3x per week...you shouldn't neglect resistance training. both cardio and resistance training are important to a well rounded fitness regimen.

your fitness goals should dictate how much you're doing of what.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I vary my fitness activity. I belong to a gym & do power step classes plus some treadmill hill climbing 3x per week; do pilates reformer @ a private studio 1x per week, & go to a bootcamp-type class 3x per week (45 minute HIT/tabata style workout with 2 abs circuits @ the end). I also do some challenges with friends, this month it's a squat challenge. I also do Nordic walking sometimes.

If you're just starting out, maybe try different things out @ the gym, not just equipment but classes as well, find some stuff you enjoy doing & it will be easier to stick with it.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    I do an hour of combination running/walking in the treadmill 6 days a week. Sometimes I'll skip here and there if my knee hurts etc. I also do 3 hours a week of weight training. Works for me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    holla18 wrote: »
    Hi,

At the moment I am not doing any exercise (except walking) and I am thinking of taking a gym membership.
    This makes me wonder how much cardio one should do a day?

What kind of activites do you do and for how long?

thanks

As much as you like, and to the point that it does not affect your health negatively. So, do not run a marathon per day ;)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Very tough to answer. Cardio can be long, sustained and not too intense, or it can very very very intense. I wouldn't recommend killing yourself so that you have joint pain for 3 days afterward, but you should definitely challenge the heart and work up a sweat.
    30 minutes three times a week seems like a good start. If you find that too extreme or not challenging enough, change accordingly.
  • michaelhornby365
    michaelhornby365 Posts: 39 Member
    Started on a program this week.
    half of my gym time is kettle, push ups, weights ect ect, the rest is rowing and and oh my god I hate the stair machine.
    That's 3 times aweek.
    Non gym days I go running and have Sunday off.
    What ever you fill like you can do and keep up with and maintain..
    Listen to your body,

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There is a study just out that found an ideal range for cardio.

http://news.health.com/2015/02/02/when-it-comes-to-jogging-easy-does-it-study-suggests/
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

http://news.health.com/2015/02/02/when-it-comes-to-jogging-easy-does-it-study-suggests/

The ideal range for cardio is what you are comfortable with. Start with what you are comfortable with and work your way up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

@jgnatca
    No it really didn't find an ideal range for cardio and nor was it seeking to. Really don't know how you could leap to that conclusion from even reading the article let alone the study.

My personal answer to
    cardio ... how much is to much?
    would be 128 miles cycling as the 128th mile was really nasty.
    Alternatively it could be running 10k as I did it once and hated every minute.

Everyone's training/exercise routine will depend on their goals, restrictions and simple enjoyment of whatever activities they choose to do.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Just find something that works for you and your schedule. Try as many classes as possible and then decide which ones you like. I have tried pretty much everything. I attend classes most days that are total body type cardio classes but I also do spinning and yoga.
    One thing to be careful of is not to over eat after exercise. Sometimes cardio will make you hungry and then you over eat. Fitness pal does suggest eatting back around 50 percent of calories burned so you wont be eatting too little.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Well it depends.

I only do one spin class a week, my other training is lifting weights 3-4 times a week.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    8 hours. 8 hours of cycling per day is too much :)
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    In all seriousness, let your body tell you. Try running a mile or two every couple of days. Or try riding your bike for 5 to 10 miles every couple of days. From there just increase your load about 10 percent every few weeks. Your body will let you know if it's ok with it. Which ever route you decide to start from, make sure you resist the urge to take on too much too quickly. If you're fine with running 1.5 miles a day, don't try to jump from there to 4 miles a day. Work into it
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    It is a blend of things.

Have you enough fuel in your body to not start burning muscle?

Are you straining your joints and support structure?

Are the elements like heat and humidity over heating your body?

I do some long long endurance 70% HRM cardio. Some Saturday workouts are 6 hours, it is bike then transition to run.

It isn't bad for me. But I didn't just start it and I monitor my heart rate and have electrolyte and calorie input

And absolutely take days off after your long workouts. Your body is capable of amazing things. But.... It also needs rest, fuel, and recovery time. Build up to your target goals over time. You may end up amazed at what you are capable of.

So build up to the cardio level you want that match your fitness goals. It is really up to you and what your goals are.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    It is a blend of things.

Have you enough fuel in your body to not start burning muscle?

Are you straining your joints and support structure?

Are the elements like heat and humidity over heating your body?

I do some long long endurance 70% HRM cardio. Some Saturday workouts are 6 hours, it is bike then transition to run.

It isn't bad for me. But I didn't just start it and I monitor my heart rate and have electrolyte and calorie input

And absolutely take days off after your long workouts. Your body is capable of amazing things. But.... It also needs rest, fuel, and recovery time. Build up to your target goals over time. You may end up amazed at what you are capable of.

So build up to the cardio level you want that match your fitness goals. It is really up to you and what your goals are.

Good post, @Working2BLean
  • holla18
    holla18 Posts: 60 Member
    thanks so much
  • sillekered
    sillekered Posts: 10 Member
    I cycle every day, 37 miles three days 42m two days and 54m Sat and Sun. I also walk 5.8m five days per week.
    I never have a rest day but I do plan to have Christmas day off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It really depends on what you goals are. Relatively small amounts yield massive gains in cardiovascular health but if your goal is to run a marathon you need to put in the miles.

You will also find that there is a lot of contradictory information out there, Health Canada recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous aerobic exercise plus 2 sessions of resistance training.csep.ca/CMFIles/Guidelines/CSEP_PAGuidelines_adults_en.pdf