avocado

Options
http://www.bitesforbabies.com/blog/15-delicious-ways-to-eat-avocados/

Do you like avocado's? If yes, what is the best way that you get this healthy fruit into your diet? I love guacamole but I have never tried an avocado...

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    On toast
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    An interesting way to store avocado's.

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-keep-cut-avocado-fresh-126950

I am trying to learn about avocado's...

• newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put a few slices on my turkey burger made with chipotle peppers in them.
  • nmomoct28
    nmomoct28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slice it into your green salad.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    With scrambled eggs on toast or smashed with some salsa to make a quick guacamole then add to any mexican style dish.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    On rice crackers.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, take out the put, and fill the place where the pit used to be with peanut butter. Get a spoon and enjoy.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's my high-fat spread of choice and sometimes cooking grease. As far as smoke point goes, it holds up for stir fry and pretty much everything else I've used it for. Most of the fat won't be released by cooking into the rest of a dish unless mashed up to some extent so remember to do that when planning to use it as a source of added oil.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Spread on bread used to make a sandwich...like a mayonnaise substitute.

Or spread half an avocado over a couple pieces of toast and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper...yum! Can vary by topping that with tomato slices or poached eggs
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Those panera sandwiches with avocado are nice

I slice them up with dinner usually. Either just on the side with whatever I'm having, or with my cheese burger eaten in a wrap with lettuce.... Is it dinner time yet???
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    With a spoon. Maybe a bit of lemon. Yummy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado pretty much every day. Often I just sprinkle with a little salt and scoop it out and eat it with a spoon. I also slice it up and put it on salads and garnish certain soups and stews. I also mash it up and use it as a spread for sandwiches instead of mayo. I'm also partial to an egg salad that I make where I also sub avocado for mayo.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As desert...... You can make a paleo or vegan chocolate pudding. 1 avocado, 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tsp honey or agave nectar and a few tsp of milk or nondairy milk . Mix all in blender and adjust milk/sweetness to taste....
  • HannahCC82
    HannahCC82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Topped on omelette/poached eggs, on toast, on crackers, guacamole, sliced on side of any dinner!!!, salads....any which way, 2 a day!!!!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I most often eat half an avocado, sliced, sprinkle of salt, with greek yogurt and hotsauce mixed together as a dip for it.

Easy and quick.

My husband like avocado sandwiches, of just sliced avocado and salt between 2slices of bread, or sometimes with a strip or 2 of bacon. (pork or turkey)

We also like it on salad or in wraps, esp to recreate California cobb-style.

And of course with Mexican and on tortilla chips with salsa. Cubed, sliced, mashed, or blended into a guacamole dip.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I love avocado mashed with lemon juice and black pepper as a sandwich filling, or cut into bite-sized chunks and added to cooked quinoa or pasta penne along with my favourite vegs, some toasted seeds, maybe cashew nuts or walnuts, sun-dried tomato strips, a little healthy oil or a dressing made with French mustard, oil and balsamic vinegar and loads of fresh chopped herbs like coriander and basil.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i tried avocado on toast today... I thought it was ok... my avocado had a dark yellowish brown tint to it with very little green... it didn't look right but still don't know exactly what is supposed to look like.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    i tried avocado on toast today... I thought it was ok... my avocado had a dark yellowish brown tint to it with very little green... it didn't look right but still don't know exactly what is supposed to look like.

The color should be more green then brown. Even more greenish and yellow then brown. When the flesh is brown the taste is not very good.

1x88marmvf8b.jpeg