How often do you weigh in?

Options
Hi guys, i wad wonerding how often everyone weighs in? Is it best to do it once a week?

Replies

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ive read many different opinions. Some people say once a week as your weight fluctuates daily, but if you do weigh daily to log it each day so you can see the fluctuations. It is what ever works for you.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Weekly, but sometimes I can't resist checking how I'm going a couple of days early
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is no best way that suits everyone.
    What suits me is weighing daily and recording only a significant change in my weight trend rather than fluctuations,
    But I regard the number on the scales as purely data, not everyone has that outlook.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do it once or twice a month
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, mostly so I can make sure it fluctuates back down from the higher numbers. I only log my lowest number, because it is the number I'm trying to get below.
  • Mikkamoo12
    Mikkamoo12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    I weigh daily, mostly so I can make sure it fluctuates back down from the higher numbers. I only log my lowest number, because it is the number I'm trying to get below.

Me too:)
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started weighing daily to get used to the fluctuations. That didn't take long! I'm now looking at my daily weight compared to calories, macros, and activity levels for the previous day or two. I like data.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Could experiment, see what works for you. I like weighing weekly. :)
  • dondons2015
    dondons2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i weigh monthly as it helps with my motivation, i used to weigh weekly but became dissapointed at least one week out of the month.. whatever suits you is best.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. I step on the scale no more than a couple of times a week.
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the same time of day
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose and I only started a couple of months ago. I started with weekly weigh-ins, but with one weekly weigh-in that was higher than I expected I was very upset and a bit panicked. The whole weight fluctuates bla bla bla hadn't sinked in. I now weigh myself daily so I can get used to those variations. This week's "official" weigh-in day, I was 1.5 lbs higher than the days before and after; I just shrugged and moved on. I'll probably switch to weekly at some point.
    Not a one size fits all. Just do what works best for you
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I weight daily.. But some people have really weird reactions to weight fluctuations on the scale and need to back off from daily weighing.. It is up to the person using the scale..
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week. It's highly suggested to do it the same day and same time for the best results. As well as, pay attention to what rituals you have. Ex: After going to the bathroom, before eating, naked before a shower... All things that'll factor in.
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. First thing in morning before breakfast. I know my fluctuations but don't get discouraged by them. I record my weight every day on a calendar. It helps me to see where I am. But as everyone says, do what works for you. I just know I have to watch every day of my life.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, BECAUSE my weight fluctuates daily. I can also track the impact of too much sodium, PMS water weight gain and retention, etc......
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Daily & I love it. Total 180 change for me. Fluctuations don't bug me now that I understand the process better. Would hate to miss that exciting first appearance of each new lower number! Sometimes I really have to be patient and waaaaaaait for it; other times a number disappears in a whoosh and I never see it again. I have come to really enjoy the surprises with a sense of playful anticipation. I know my routines will prevail in the end.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and sync to trend weight. I highly recommend it. It has a sophisticated algorithm for giving you a moving weighted average of your weight loss each day. Your weight can fluctuate from day to day but trendweight tells you your "actual" loss - i.e., you can have a day when you gain scale weight but trend weight says you lost .2 lbs. Of course, you can have a day when you "lose" 2lbs on scale weight and trend weight tells you you lost .3lbs. But the important thing is the trend and it shows my trend very clearly. Both my loss as a downward line, but also that when my scale weight is consistently well below my trend line, I lose more quickly and the more it hovers around my trend line it means I'm stagnating a bit. I can also notice "trends" very quickly - i.e., I can see that every few weeks my scale weight seems to get up high close to my trend line for a few days in a row before heading back down. So now that process doesn't freak me out.

I'm a data freak so this really works for me. I just used my fitbit profile stats to find out my average deficit for the last 30 days to then find out how much, according to my logging, I "should" have lost based on my calculated deficit. Then compared how much trendweight says I lost over those same 30 days. It was to the decimal point the exact same number. Talk about your non scale victories! I had done the same thing about a month ago and I had lost less than I "should" have. I calculated the discrepancy and it was 187 calories/day - i.e., I had 187 calories less of a deficit in actuality compared to my logging and fitbit's calcs of my TDEE. So I started entering a 187 calorie quick add in my food diary called "fitbit/logging" adjustment - and now it matches exactly. I don't know if that's my own logging errors, fitbit overestimating my burn or a little of each. But that is pretty damn close numbers and by meticulously logging and using the fitbit tools and doing the calculations I can have a lot of confidence in the numbers each day and know that I am, or am not, doing what I need to lose weight. Overall, every single day with very few exceptions I am either maintaining or losing at a deficit between 200 and 1200 calories. The more of the big deficits, the faster I lose, but regardless I just keep losing. And that's really all that matters. I accept that sometimes life means I'm going to want to enjoy a night out or a particular meal or go through a stretch where I'm less active and so I'll lose more slowly. Other times the stars align or I'm just in a particularly good place and I lose more quickly. But I'm in control.
  • BillyGoatZombie
    BillyGoatZombie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day. Usually right after I wake up. I use the Fitbit scale so it tracks itself via the Fitbit app then syncs with MFP.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and sync to trend weight. I highly recommend it. It has a sophisticated algorithm for giving you a moving weighted average of your weight loss each day. Your weight can fluctuate from day to day but trendweight tells you your "actual" loss - i.e., you can have a day when you gain scale weight but trend weight says you lost .2 lbs. Of course, you can have a day when you "lose" 2lbs on scale weight and trend weight tells you you lost .3lbs. But the important thing is the trend and it shows my trend very clearly. Both my loss as a downward line, but also that when my scale weight is consistently well below my trend line, I lose more quickly and the more it hovers around my trend line it means I'm stagnating a bit. I can also notice "trends" very quickly - i.e., I can see that every few weeks my scale weight seems to get up high close to my trend line for a few days in a row before heading back down. So now that process doesn't freak me out.

I'm a data freak so this really works for me. I just used my fitbit profile stats to find out my average deficit for the last 30 days to then find out how much, according to my logging, I "should" have lost based on my calculated deficit. Then compared how much trendweight says I lost over those same 30 days. It was to the decimal point the exact same number. Talk about your non scale victories! I had done the same thing about a month ago and I had lost less than I "should" have. I calculated the discrepancy and it was 187 calories/day - i.e., I had 187 calories less of a deficit in actuality compared to my logging and fitbit's calcs of my TDEE. So I started entering a 187 calorie quick add in my food diary called "fitbit/logging" adjustment - and now it matches exactly. I don't know if that's my own logging errors, fitbit overestimating my burn or a little of each. But that is pretty damn close numbers and by meticulously logging and using the fitbit tools and doing the calculations I can have a lot of confidence in the numbers each day and know that I am, or am not, doing what I need to lose weight. Overall, every single day with very few exceptions I am either maintaining or losing at a deficit between 200 and 1200 calories. The more of the big deficits, the faster I lose, but regardless I just keep losing. And that's really all that matters. I accept that sometimes life means I'm going to want to enjoy a night out or a particular meal or go through a stretch where I'm less active and so I'll lose more slowly. Other times the stars align or I'm just in a particularly good place and I lose more quickly. But I'm in control.

You, I like!!!!