Options
It's been a few years since I had to battle the weight gain. Lost it years ago and always managed to maintain it, with up and downs on the scales. But this is my biggest weight gain (2 stone in 6 months) blaming stopping smoking and moving in with new boyfriend!!

Got to say though, older you are the harder it feels to lose the weight, slower metabolism, less active and so on........of I could turn back time, I'd have been less greedy lol for sure

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear ya. If I could turn back time I think I would have told myself to stay away from all the take away foods and taught myself how to mealprep.
    You can do this! Moving in with a boyfriend is a major weight gainer. We get comfortable and life revolves around food. Well maybe that was just me lol.
  • MarkFletcherBaker
    MarkFletcherBaker Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No its not just you.....its all comforting, being settled, 3 dogs to play with and stopping smoking, and lots off cooking, take aways and eating out lol
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    First of all, glad you are in a happy and comfy relationship. Secondly, well done for not just carrying on piling on the pounds and deciding you need to 'nip it in the bud' [ie only have 28 odd pounds to lose and not 128]. Thirdly, you can lose weight just the same as when you were younger, so don't use that as an excuse. Finally, I am 67 and am doing the calorie deficit thing and have lost 21lbs in 14 weeks - as good, if not better than many younger people. You can do it - very best of luck :)
  • MarkFletcherBaker
    MarkFletcherBaker Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks and well done you
    I still think it's harder because I feel I should be eating what I want at my age lol enjoying it all lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks and well done you
    I still think it's harder because I feel I should be eating what I want at my age lol enjoying it all lol

Oh well there's your issue then :smiley:

It shouldn't be easier

It's the same challenge

The only difference is your natural activity level has dropped and you're eating more

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's not really harder to lose weight when you are older - that really is an excuse if you are healthy.

Every mouthful of food is a choice ultimately.
    You don't have to become less active, that's a choice. I'm far more active in my fifties as I have more "me time" now my children are grown up.
    You don't have to eat out a lot or get takeaways - that's another choice.
    When you cook you choose what (and how much) you eat - that's another choice.

Well done on stopping smoking but now you can redirect that commitment to another goal - there's always another goal.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just turned 45. I am finding that I am not having trouble losing weight at all this time. I have tried many times in the past and gave up after not seeing any real results. I have always been on the chubby side. I am in perimenopause and I have been steadily losing close to 1.5 lbs. per week. I have other issues a well (high blood pressure, hydronephrosis)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight (60+ pounds) in my mid 20's. It was incredibly difficult. The only way I managed it was sheer willpower and stubbornness.

I've lost 20+ pounds in the past few months, at 52. It's much easier this time around. I know more about food, nutrition and exercise than I did then. I know my body better. We have so much more information available nowadays. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is -- no, I haven't found it harder to lose due to age. Quite the opposite.
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and lost 68 pounds this year. Age is not a factor in losing weight. Yes I'm retired and have more time to exercise now but I also list 134 pounds in my 40's. It's getting into a mindset that you CAN do this. As someone said you are responsible for what your eat. Make healthy choices and you can do it too!
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's not really harder to lose weight when you are older - that really is an excuse if you are healthy.

Every mouthful of food is a choice ultimately.
    You don't have to become less active, that's a choice. I'm far more active in my fifties as I have more "me time" now my children are grown up.
    You don't have to eat out a lot or get takeaways - that's another choice.
    When you cook you choose what (and how much) you eat - that's another choice.

Well done on stopping smoking but now you can redirect that commitment to another goal - there's always another goal.

Tough love, and so true!

Age is just a number and it does not define you.

I've lost 23 lbs (34 to go), started working out at the gym 4x per week doing resistance training. I also do bodyweight exercises at home. I'm 67. I had to get tough with myself to do any of it, and it isn't any harder than it was 20 or 30 years ago. My desire and commitment to be healthier are stronger than being miserable as a complacent, fat, flabby, old woman! I enjoy where I am now, and look forward to doing more. Every day is a new opportunity to see progress toward my goals and enjoy life more.

You've made the hardest choice so far - quitting smoking. Enjoy that success and be proud of yourself! But give yourself new goals and look forward to achieving them. And continue to enjoy your new relationship and the 3 doggies!
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have lost 55 pounds this year. I was experimenting with what I eat, when I eat it. More protein in the mornings. It seems to be working for me :)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I like to learn new things. At 61, my "new" this year is learning to prepare healthier foods and use new seasonings & cooking techniques, instead of staying stuck in my same-old same-old food rut. Lost 22 pounds in 22 weeks. My goal, however, isn't that bikini bod I had back in high school, lol, but a more reasonable (for me) healthy, fit weight, probably at the high-healthy BMI range. I am having a lot of fun with the challenge and changes!
  • meglet2202
    meglet2202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and have just lost 42 pounds. I've found it surprisingly easy. It came off quickly and I've actually slowed it down (lowered my deficit) so that I'm not done so quickly. I'd rather lose it more slowly than go right away into maintenance.
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree our metabolism slows a bit. I am 49 and it has gotten harder. But it can be done. I am 17 pounds down now. It is a slower process but ultimately, eat less move more works no matter what. I won't eat light for a few days and drop five pounds like I used to. It takes exercise every day and tracking every bite.

You can do this though. Get on it now. I am amazed at how much better I feel every day and that makes me stick with it.

And congrats on your new relationship!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years since I had to battle the weight gain. Lost it years ago and always managed to maintain it, with up and downs on the scales. But this is my biggest weight gain (2 stone in 6 months) blaming stopping smoking and moving in with new boyfriend!!

Got to say though, older you are the harder it feels to lose the weight, slower metabolism, less active and so on........of I could turn back time, I'd have been less greedy lol for sure

Still, it all comes down to CICO, thus it's not harder, it's just a different equation.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am 63y/o...

If I calculate my stats at age 23 and compare it to my current stats there is about 200 calories difference (using Scooby) over that 40 years. Not to bad really.

I personally feel for the younger people trying to lose. I feel as if they have more social issues to deal with. With my son's job he is constantly being put in situations that are centered around happy hours, luncheons, dinners, meeting with clients and taking his staff out in the evenings. The company that he works for has a fully stocked kitchen...items for breakfast, lunch and snacks. They at least try to furnish healthy options.

I don't have to contend with any of that...occasionally...maybe once a week going out to eat but even then I have the option of picking a restaurant that has something on the menu that fits.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks and well done you

And therein lies the problem....you feel entitled to eat whatever you want because of your age...lol...even knowing you find it harder to lose weight the older you get....SO your brain is playing tricks with you. Time to get your head on straight! If you don't want to become even MORE overweight, you CANT eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as much as you want. None of us can. That is probably how most of us gained the extra weight in the first place. :# In order to lose the new weight, you're going to need to kill that mindset. People who lose weight usually need to sacrifice something. Either the extra calories will need to go, or the extra two hours of snuggling in the morning could be exchanged for two hours of weights and cardio (whatever gets you ACTIVE). It doesn't get harder to workout or lose weight as we get older, but it can be harder to wrap our heads around what it takes to get the results we want. Good luck! xo

Almost forgot, and KUDO'S for quitting smoking!! That is the BEST thing you could possibly do for yourself, and everyone around you!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't find it harder to lose weight, but I do find it easier to gain weight. In my 20s I was single or newly married and just had a job. I could go for a run in my spare time, hike a mountain after work, and very few of my health issues had kicked in yet. There was a LOT more "me" time and i felt good enough to use that time well.

Now, I had arthritis, three kids whom I school at home, I coach 3-4 teams per year, am on parent council of our faciliating school... Less me time so weight sneaked on easier.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Cheers to your happiness! I have to chime in that I'm 46 (47 in Spring) & I'm in the best shape of my life. I put in the hard work but I'm also enjoying it. I fell head over heels when I met my husband when I was 32 (feels young to me, now!) & we both put on weight because we were sharing pints of ice cream almost every night & we were going out to eat a lot. Not much gym time, either.
    I should be having a tougher time losing weight & shaping up considering my age, short height, the fact I had a baby at 42, hormones, lol. All you need is a good plan and then stick to it. You can still enjoy your life, too.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    BTW, I enjoy a couple pieces of chocolate every day and even a brandy