Anybody @ maintenance doing a high calorie day/lower calorie rest of the week?

Options
I guess this is sort of a variation of a cheat day or cheat meal, but I'm thinking of trying out a system where I have a high calorie day followed by lower calories the rest of the week. The goal would be to hit my maintenance calorie level for the week rather than by the day. Sort of a "one off/six on" schedule for calories.

I'm considering this because lately I've been struggling a bit with food, and I'm wondering if this would help alleviate some of the pressure and allow me to have some of those things that are tough to fit into a daily caloric allowance. Overall I'm wondering if it would still give me the structure to track and control my intake but give me a bit of an escape valve it you know what I mean?

I do have concerns that it would lead to multiple high calorie days too easily though. Obviously that's on me to make those choices - I completely get that. But I'm wondering if anyone has had success in maintenance with something similar?

Anyway, just mulling it over. Open to thoughts.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I count by the week.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I count by the week.

Thanks. How long have you been doing it that way? Has it been better for you overall? Oh, and love the avatar!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do that. I would caution you to not be overly restrictive for the 6 lower days as it can lead to feeling run down, grumpy, setting yourself up for a screw it I am eating everything day. If you shaved 100-150 calories off the 6 days that would give you an extra 600-900 calories one day. That is a lot extra for one day!

What is your maintenance calories?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    For months, not sure. But I like to go out to dinner on the weekend, so I save my calories for that.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    A lot of people do that. I would caution you to not be overly restrictive for the 6 lower days as it can lead to feeling run down, grumpy, setting yourself up for a screw it I am eating everything day. If you shaved 100-150 calories off the 6 days that would give you an extra 600-900 calories one day. That is a lot extra for one day!

What is your maintenance calories?

Yeah it's a great point and very much the way I was thinking about it - just around 100 per day for the rest of the week. I think that's pretty doable. My maintenance is roughly 2300 depending on the calculator I use and based on experience to this point.

• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I basically do that so we can have more calorie room on the weekend. I have a set calorie goal m-f & sat I usually indulge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's what I usually do... A day or two around maintenance, a day over (sometimes way over), and the other days 400 under. I've been maintaining for 1.5 year.

Basically, some days are easier than others, so the days I can relatively easily keep a deficit, I do that. But on days when I'm hungrier or there's a special event (hello Thanksgiving) or I just want an extra treat, I don't have to sweat it.

But yes it means maintaining the 'losing' mindset most of the time to keep that deficit. And my diary is closed because obviously I go over a lot (my maintenance is 2200. My goal is 1800. Having a lower goal helps me plan my day better, otherwise I'd be more likely to have an extra treat 'because I have the calories').
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I also go by a weekly goal. I don't understand why this is such a foreign concept for some. I mean, it seems like this is how people who never had a weight problem have just eaten their whole life. I highly doubt people who are good at weight management without logging food eat the SAME amount of calories every day.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone - it's helpful.

@Francl27 - yeah that's very much what I've been thinking about. I like the approach because it's flexible but still somewhat structured, if you know what I mean? Appreciate your response.

I'm sure I'm just looking for some validation. It's been nearly two years now of weight loss mode, so coming off of that can be a bit nerve wracking.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Ewhip17 - Don't be alarmed if your weight fluctuates more than normal eating this way. You may see a higher than normal number on the scale after a high calorie day.

I took a peak at your profile. You have done some amazing work!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Ewhip17 - Don't be alarmed if your weight fluctuates more than normal eating this way. You may see a higher than normal number on the scale after a high calorie day.

Thanks so much! I'm finding that it's a whole new mindset and just trying to get my head wrapped around it! :-)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »

Thanks so much! I'm finding that it's a whole new mindset and just trying to get my head wrapped around it! :-)

Amazing weight loss - well done you.
    Just as dieting became a habit to lose all that weight maintenance also becomes a habit - give it time. It's still the same maths game played out over weeks and months.

To answer your OP, yes I have high days and low days. High days are either because I've had a big exercise day, there's a social event involving nice food, holidays, vacations..... All the things "normal" people do (whatever normal means!).

Yesterday was going to be a low day but beer happened. :)
    So I was around maintenance levels instead yesterday, today will probably be a low day instead. Over the course of a week (or more) it all evens out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't log and have been maintaining for over 2.5 years...I can guarantee you that my calorie intake is variable day to day. I will usually intuitively eat lighter after a heavier eating day.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ewhip17 wrote: »

Amazing weight loss - well done you.
    Just as dieting became a habit to lose all that weight maintenance also becomes a habit - give it time. It's still the same maths game played out over weeks and months.

To answer your OP, yes I have high days and low days. High days are either because I've had a big exercise day, there's a social event involving nice food, holidays, vacations..... All the things "normal" people do (whatever normal means!).

Yesterday was going to be a low day but beer happened. :)
    So I was around maintenance levels instead yesterday, today will probably be a low day instead. Over the course of a week (or more) it all evens out.

Thanks and you are correct - I'm trying to make maintenance a habit. I like that... :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Sort of! I go by weekly cals but 6 days of the week I eat around 2000 cals so on Saturdays I can have 2500 -2700 cals. ..it all balances out :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2015
    Options
    . Posted twice doh!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    . Posted twice doh!

Just reinforcing your point. Haha
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I sort of do that, my Friday's and Saturdays are higher, the rest of the week is normal. I have been able to maintain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

@ewhip17 yup lol that's what it must have been :smiley:
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Same here.

If I think about it, it's what I did on a huge scale to gain an lose my weight in the first place. To gain 70 lbs, I over-ate by 245,000 calories over about 13 years. To lose it I under-ate (or exercised away) that same number of calories over the course of a year!

Now I have lost the weight, I want to be able to enjoy three courses (or at least a chocolate fondant for dessert) if I am out at the weekend! I gained weight previously was because I would do that and not compensate during the week. The great thing about being more active now is that you don't have to compensate by going hungry during the week- as other posters have said, you only need to shave off 100 calories a day to fit in a lot extra at the weekend.

I am also planning on something similar for holidays e.g. reduce by about 500 kcal/day in the run up to a holiday. And if I don't manage that, I'll just have to reduce calories after the holiday instead! CICO works the same way whether you manage it over the course of a day, a week, a month, a year or a decade. I guess the key is just finding out which way works best for you.