is it possible to do cardio twice a day?

Replies

• syarifalatas
    syarifalatas Posts: 21 Member
    litsy3 wrote: »
    What? Of course it is. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to cycle to work in the morning and then cycle home in the evening.

Yes i just realize that Lol. Thanks
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    How about cardio in the morning and lift some weights in the evening. That would be far more productive. But yes, of course doing cardio twice a day is possible.
  • syarifalatas
    How about cardio in the morning and lift some weights in the evening. That would be far more productive. But yes, of course doing cardio twice a day is possible.

This is an effective way if im having hectic day. Thanks
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Of course its OK. I routinely do brisk mile and a half walk with dogs in the morning and cycling in the evening. Nothing like extra calories to eat!
  • syarifalatas
    Of course its OK. I routinely do brisk mile and a half walk with dogs in the morning and cycling in the evening. Nothing like extra calories to eat!

Nice..
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member

Your shoulders! I aspire for similar results, nice work!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    For instance, i do cardio to burn 200 kal in the morning and maximize my cardio in evening

What does the bold part actually mean? (Activity/time/intensity?)
    What is this "cardio" you refer to? Could be so many different things!
    What is your goal that you hope to progress towards?

Doing "cardio to burn 200 kal in the morning" really isn't anything significant to stop you training again the same day if you have any kind of fitness.
    Many people who walk/run/cycle to work routinely do "cardio" twice a day for example.

Thanks bro very enlightening.

The evening means time. And i do cross trainer for my cardio. Usually i do cardio for 45-60 minutes.

Im also do workout at home by dumbell, perfect pushup, bodyweight workout most of them.

So my goal is to maintain my weight and gain muscles.

Since you want to maintain weight and gain muscles, I would strongly suggest checking out this post/thread. The OP really knows her stuff.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    sure...but if you're going to "two-a-day" workouts you'd likely be better off incorporating some resistance work. I have two-a-days 2-3x per week where I cycle in the AM and lift in the PM.

One caveat here would be if you were training for an endurance event or something...when I was training for my sprint triathlon (which I ultimately didn't get to participate in, but it's still on the bucket list) I often had to do cardio work twice per day and dial back on weight training...I would often run in the AM and ride in the PM or ride in the AM and swim in the PM...and then there's the brick work (typically a ride followed immediately by a run) which by the late stages of training consisted of back to back 15 mile ride + 2-3 mile run.
  • syarifalatas
    mathjulz wrote: »
    For instance, i do cardio to burn 200 kal in the morning and maximize my cardio in evening

Doing "cardio to burn 200 kal in the morning" really isn't anything significant to stop you training again the same day if you have any kind of fitness.
    Many people who walk/run/cycle to work routinely do "cardio" twice a day for example.

The evening means time. And i do cross trainer for my cardio. Usually i do cardio for 45-60 minutes.

Im also do workout at home by dumbell, perfect pushup, bodyweight workout most of them.

Since you want to maintain weight and gain muscles, I would strongly suggest checking out this post/thread. The OP really knows her stuff.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Nice.. Thank you for sharing
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member

Your shoulders! I aspire for similar results, nice work!

Thanks love. They became a huge focus of my workouts over the last few months :)
  • syarifalatas
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sure...but if you're going to "two-a-day" workouts you'd likely be better off incorporating some resistance work. I have two-a-days 2-3x per week where I cycle in the AM and lift in the PM.

One caveat here would be if you were training for an endurance event or something...when I was training for my sprint triathlon (which I ultimately didn't get to participate in, but it's still on the bucket list) I often had to do cardio work twice per day and dial back on weight training...I would often run in the AM and ride in the PM or ride in the AM and swim in the PM...and then there's the brick work (typically a ride followed immediately by a run) which by the late stages of training consisted of back to back 15 mile ride + 2-3 mile run.

Wow.. Very inspiring. Thanks for the share
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    As mentioned on subject,

Is it possible to do cardio twice a day?

Please kindly share your thoughts.

Cheers!!

I do it all the time. I walk every day (amount varies but I aim for a total of 5 miles) and 3 days a week I also swim laps and take a water aerobics class. On those days, I do my miles in the morning and go to the pool in the afternoon.
  • syarifalatas
    Thanks guys for the shares. I realized that the subject really shows a newby question. Lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

"Bro" - normally I get called "Dad" so that makes a change..... :)

Nice goals - there's a lot of us in the Maintaining Weight forum doing the same thing.
    One thing I would say is that although training volume is obviously important don't forget quality of training.
    Don't just do junk training, same old routine and duration - have a purpose for each workout and think how it fits in with your overall training plan.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    As long as you're not getting overly fatigued or engaging in high impact activities (risk of overuse injury while you're still fairly new to fitness) go for it.

I'll often run or row in the morning and then cycle in the evening.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    As long as your first cardio routine isn't 24 hours long, then of course it's possible.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Yes. If you're a distance runner, for example, it can be good to split your long run into a morning run and an evening run. If you make the total mileage a bit more than you can do in one run and make the second run equal to or a little longer than the first, you get the benefits of getting more mileage than you could otherwise handle and the benefit of practicing running when already fatigued.

However, that's not an every day or even every week workout. If you do cardio twice a day, it's easier to overdo it in the long term - don't try to push your limits every workout every day. If you're not too gung-ho about it working out twice a day can be great.
  • kevinbullen1979
    kevinbullen1979 Posts: 3 Member
    I will sometimes do a 3 mile run then a 17 mile ride, really good workout.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't know why no one has mentioned this. Elite runners train twice a day all the time. How else do you think they get up to -- sometimes -- 70 miles a week and more? They do a morning run and an afternoon run.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    tufel wrote: »
    I don't know why no one has mentioned this. Elite runners train twice a day all the time. How else do you think they get up to -- sometimes -- 70 miles a week and more? They do a morning run and an afternoon run.

You can manage 70 miles okay without two runs a day but any more than that you probably would need doubles. When I'm up to 65-70 miles I probably have one day a week with two runs. I think though that most people who call it 'doing cardio' tend not to be as interested in the specific cardio activities but just in the fact that they're ticking a 'done my cardio exercise' box, so won't have the same fitness goals as someone who competes in a sport.