Omelette Ideas?

Options
dee_thurman
dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
I love egg whites and eat them almost every day for breakfast. Sometimes I will put them on a piece of toast. Pretty simple stuff. Anything I can do to switch it up but I have to keep it simple?

Replies

• kendanault
    kendanault Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat a two egg omelet nearly every morning. Eggs, spinach, tomatoes, feta, and topped with salsa. So good!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything you have on hand. Some veggies, cheese, meat - we even add leftovers to our omelettes like stew or chili!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pepper, cellery, green onion, sharp cheddar and german salami is my all time favourite mix. Like others have said pretty much anything on hand can get thrown in the mix with eggs and taste yummy!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My go to meal. Omelettes, frittatas, soufflés and stratas are things that you can pair with just about any veggie or protein. Just get creative. I can't think of one veggie or meat, fish, poultry or cheese that won't work. Maybe not nuts or some beans, but there are even fruit soufflés so maybe nuts would work.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Garlic! It might sound too strong but it really makes veggie omelets and scramble really good. It doesn't take much maybe a small clove for a 2 person serving but it make a big tasty difference.

I don't make omelets don't have that skill mastered. 1 in 3 turn out. I make lots of scrambles.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/06/denver-breakfast-scramble.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/09/three-breakfast-scrambles.html

Zucchini Tomato Scramble
    Serves 2

Ingredients

Drizzle of olive oil
    1/2 zucchini, sliced
    1 garlic clove, sliced
    6 grape tomatoes, halved
    Black pepper, to taste
    Red pepper flakes, to taste
    Sea salt, to taste
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 slice provolone cheese, torn

Directions

Drizzle a non-stick pan with olive oil. Heat to medium low heat. Add zucchini, garlic and tomatoes, saute until zucchini begins to soften. Season with black pepper and red pepper flakes, stir to combine. Beat eggs with salt and add to pan. Add cheese and gently stir eggs until soft curds form, continue to cook until cheese is melted and eggs are set.
  • robin51464
    robin51464 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    3 egg whites, spinach, and herb goat cheese omelette... Yummy

Spray pan with cooking spray, wilt down fresh baby spinach and remive from pan... Respray pan and add 3 egg whites... Once they set add the spinach and 1 ounce herb goat cheese... Delish!
  • heather82313
    heather82313 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Again food is simple. Get a pan or baking dish. Look whats in the fridge. Chop, shred toss into the pan. Beat eggs whatever amount you want. Mix it all up and place in the oven. Its ready when eggs are set. Take out portion out and freeze any leftovers.

i-LM4zFC9-L.jpg

You can also make these in muffin pans, whatever you want.

Thank you for this! Don't ask me why, but have never been able to make an omelette to save my soul but will be trying these this week! Love that they can be frozen too. Cereal every morning is getting really old! :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The road to creativity is in your refrigerator. What leftovers need you to use up?

Always nice is a little garlic and onion slowly caramelised in oil.

To this you can add mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, pepper, spinach, sausage, whatever.

Spices include pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, parsley, coriander in any combination.

Sprinkle with any shredded cheese on hand.
  • 905browneyedgirl
    Options
    For those of you that haven't mastered the art of omelet making or simply don't have the time to spare, Epicure sells a microwaveable silicone omelet maker for under $20. I ordered one about two months ago and have used it several times each week since it arrived. Omelets used to be a weekend only treat in my house but now even on busy school days my kids can make their own.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I had the best omelette at a restaurant yesterday....MY BIG FAT GREEK OMELET ...
    Sautéed fresh spinach, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, oregano and kalamata olives. Seriously, one of the best omelettes I've ever had.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    Options
    My favorite contains onions, mushrooms and baby spinach....sometimes with cheese and salsa. For super simple I will sometimes do just egg whites with herbs de Provence sprinkled on and then I add goat cheese (about an oz or less) and fold in half. Super simple but really good.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I add mushrooms to mine, they are so low calorie and add great flavor (if mushrooms are your thing)- Add Swiss cheese if I have it on hand. Swiss and mushroom go well together.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had a garlic, mushroom, cheese, onion, spinach and egg white omelet this morning. Loved it... For about 50 calories my egg whites tasted much better!
  • Pancakes80
    Pancakes80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I put in about a tablespoon of pumpkin puree into the whites...makes them extra fluffy and the texture and colour make it seems like I'm using whole eggs :D
  • Omglifeisfun
    Omglifeisfun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great idea I think I will try that :)