Maybe at 52 I shouldn't eat my exercise calories...

Options
..because I'm doing all the "right" things and I'm not losing weight the way I would have in the old days. I've averaged, at best 1/2 pound a week and now I'm in a holding pattern after six weeks. This doesn't seem right with all the exercise I've added to my life and the cut in calories. I think I should stick to the 1200 calories - this nonsense about eating your exercise calories seems like good advice for the 20 and 30 somethings, but it's not working for me. I simply don't understand the reasoning behind it and to say that I'm discouraged is putting it mildly. BTW, I have to say that my clothes fit better, that's a good thing, but c'mon.. this is silly, I'm here to lose pounds. Are there 50 somethings out there who have had this kind of trouble? I could use some insight.

Replies

• daviesd520
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I even just went to 1200 calories and burning about 600 a day and still nothing. Your right.... it is very discouraging!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It's very possible you aren't eating enough. You HAVE to eat in order to lose weight. Plain and simple.

As for eating back exercise calories, MFP already includes a deficit in your calories when it gives you your daily calorie allowance. It assumes you aren't going to exercise at all.

If you eat 1200 calories - 400 burned with exercise = 800 NET calories - this is the actual number of calories you are consuming. 800 calories is NOT enough calories for anyone to live on + 400 calories you eat back = 1200 which is your original goal.

I see sooo many people on here say "I only eat 1200 calories a day and I'm not losing weight!". So very many. I would suggest checking to see what your BMR is and go from there.

I eat between 2200-2400 calories a day. If I only ate 1200 calories, my body would go into starvation mode and would STOP losing weight!

You must fuel your body in order to lose the weight. Yes, most people who follow a strict 1200 calorie diet see a loss for awhile, but eventually your body says "WHOA! We're starving here!" and starts to store and hold onto fat. It'll begin burning muscle for fuel. This is completely opposite of what we want - we want to build muscle, not burn it. We want to burn fat, not store it.

I highly suggest upp'ing your calories for a few weeks and see what happens. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water and switch up your workout routine. Our bodies get used to what we're doing and stop working as efficiently because it is used to it. Keep your body guessing! I try and switch it up every time I go to the gym - just to keep it guessing.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and have only been doing this for a week. I'm curious about the same thing. One day I played 2 matches of tennis for a total of 31/2 hours. I could not possibly eat all of those exercise calories. I'm trying to let my body tell me when I need food....when I'm hungry. I eat small snacks frequently on the days that i exercise more. If I eat fruit or veggies, the calories will not add up to what i worked off, but I'm not hungry. I do think that there are different rules for those of us that are 50+. Let's face it, we can't eat what we used to and still be thin and cute:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am a 50-something and I too think it sounds silly. I mean I've had half a century of hearing this and that gimmick about losing weight. Yes, eating too few calories is bad for your health, but it does not make you gain weight (duh!). Eat healthy, don't overeat, and exercise. That's still how you do it.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 50, but almost, and I'm struggling with the same thing!! Doesn't seem to want to budge for the last 6 months...so frustrating! I seem to ask everybody about eating the exercise calories...and get a split decision...I tend to not eat alot of my exercise calories. At some point, math HAS to kick in - more calories burned than taken in should result in a loss!!
  • pensor
    pensor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Sounds like you are not eating enough calories. Go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to see how many calories you should eat to lose weight. (I was eating way to little) This calculator will adjust your calories per day to keep your mtblsm going so that you will not plateau. Hope this helps
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm 55 and was having the same problem .....now what i do is eat half of the calories i burn.....if you are exercising and burning lots of calories along with the 1200 or so MFP recomends, you're net calories for the day are less than 1200, and what happens is ours bodies think we are straving.....eating half of the calories is working for me....i also have seen my clothes fit better(good thing)....good luck
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I am a 50-something and I too think it sounds silly. I mean I've had half a century of hearing this and that gimmick about losing weight. Yes, eating too few calories is bad for your health, but it does not make you gain weight (duh!). Eat healthy, don't overeat, and exercise. That's still how you do it.

Eating too few calories may not make you gain weight - but you won't lose weight either. Google "Starvation mode" and read what it says. When you don't give your body enough calories to fuel itself to do everyday functions (like breathing, growing hair, digesting food) it sure as heck isn't going to burn off the fat that is already on you. It's worried you're going to stop feeding it and it shouldn't burn the fat --- just in case it may need it later.

Eating = losing weight (and I am a perfect example of that!). From my own personal experience, I'm telling you that this is true. Ask around on here. You'll find sooo many people who will tell you EAT! Don't starve yourself.

My BMR is 1330. So, if I laid in bed ALL day long and didn't do ANYTHING (not even get up!) my body would still need 1330 calories just to perform basic bodily functions. If I only eat 1200 calories a day, I'm not even giving my body enough to perform basic functions on a day when I'm laying in bed not doing ANYTHING. Add in all the stuff we do in a day and you'll find that you need far more than what you think. Does this mean go out and eat 2000 calories worth of quarter pounders with cheese? NO. But, if you eat healthy foods -- you WILL lose weight.
  • Nic0522
    Nic0522 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm 39....but I am losing very slowly as well. I asked my Dr if I should eat back my exercise calories and he told me NO! I know this is a controversial subject here on MFP, but I think you should do what works for you. I am only 5'1 and I can feel satisfied on 1200 calories a day as long as I stick to whole, non-processed foods (lots of protein, healthy fats, veggies and fruit - no sugar, & no empty calorie grains!) I don't feel the need to eat back exercise calories. Also when I exercise I do it first thing in the morning. If I work out later in the day I would probably be way too hungry at dinner.

I say unless you are starving, don't eat them back and see if it works for you.

Nicole
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    hi :) my mom is 55 and she's having the same problem. i thought that it was just her metabolism slowing down and she was eating too little and she was just maintaining. she wouldn't listen to me to eat more, becuase she believes "eat less, lose more" but after MONTHS of bugging her, and her seeing me lose a lot of weight by increasing my calories, she listened. she ate 5 small meals a day for a couple days and lost 3 lbs right away. i TOLD her!!

i really think that eating a little more (the right way, and with healthy food) can do wonders. yes, everyone is different, but that's just what worked for me...and my mom =)

good luck!!
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ..because I'm doing all the "right" things and I'm not losing weight the way I would have in the old days. I've averaged, at best 1/2 pound a week and now I'm in a holding pattern after six weeks. This doesn't seem right with all the exercise I've added to my life and the cut in calories. I think I should stick to the 1200 calories - this nonsense about eating your exercise calories seems like good advice for the 20 and 30 somethings, but it's not working for me. I simply don't understand the reasoning behind it and to say that I'm discouraged is putting it mildly. BTW, I have to say that my clothes fit better, that's a good thing, but c'mon.. this is silly, I'm here to lose pounds. Are there 50 somethings out there who have had this kind of trouble? I could use some insight.

I am 49 and I've been stalled for the last 6 weeks... aarrgghhhh
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I'm 39....but I am losing very slowly as well. I asked my Dr if I should eat back my exercise calories and he told me NO! I know this is a controversial subject here on MFP, but I think you should do what works for you. I am only 5'1 and I can feel satisfied on 1200 calories a day as long as I stick to whole, non-processed foods (lots of protein, healthy fats, veggies and fruit - no sugar, & no empty calorie grains!) I don't feel the need to eat back exercise calories. Also when I exercise I do it first thing in the morning. If I work out later in the day I would probably be way too hungry at dinner.

I say unless you are starving, don't eat them back and see if it works for you.

Nicole

The difference between most programs and MFP is that MFP has already included a deficit in the calories it's given you for a day. It assumes you aren't going to exercise, so it gives you a number based on your goals and NO exercise.

So, if you exercise and don't eat the calories back - you'll be far below what MFP recommends and it's already given you a deficit.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's an age thing - can I suggest
    1) weighing all your food to make sure you're inputting what you eat correctly
    2) getting a heart rate monitor to make sure you're logging what you burn correctly
    because you may be eating back more than you are burning without realising.

I eat back around 2/3 of my exercise cals because I dont use a HRM, and I'm sure mfp over estimates what I burn.

If you do the above though, you should be fine eating them back - as others have said, too few calories is not a good thing, and might make it harder to lose weight.

If you do chose not to eat some back, at least make sure you net over 12000 cals a day.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Have you tried switching your percentages around - more calories from protein, less from carbs or vice versa, try it for a couple of weeks see if it makes a difference? I too am not a fan of the eat the calories back brigade, though I do allow myself to eat some of them back if I'm hungry! I think it's more important to eat little and often, and make sure you get at least 20 minutes exercise a day. I personally feel that MFP gives too many calories for exercise on its calculations - take it with a large pinch of salt! I'm preparing myself to be shouted at now...
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 50 (47) and I find it's not so much the calories as what I"m eating and my exercising. If I get in a rut in either category (same foods, same exercise) then I don't lose very quickly. Never had this before, but it's proven itself over and over to me especially as I get closer to goal weight. And I find if I short myself on calories (below 1200 net) I don't lose at all. As I exercise more intensely, my protein intake is key. Water intake is also important. Quite the balancing act, but not difficult, just takes some planning.
  • kathyaslade
    kathyaslade Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and I am having the same problem. My Dr. said it is could be a variable of things like menapause, possible thyroid issues, slower metabolism. She suggested 50 minutes of cardio and to cut back on carbs but not calories. I am gonna try and see if it helps! Kathy
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and I was at the same holding pattern, so I don't eat all my calories back. I eat between 1100-1300 and I burn about 300-500 a day..... and it seems to be working......as long as I get my 1200, and I have my diet balanced I have started to loose weight again, in the past week I dropped 2 pounds (I only have 10-15 to lose)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    61 here and as slow as a metabolism as anyone, plus I have some ailments that prevent full on exercising.

That being said, there is no way I could not eat my exercise calories and still be sane. I am still hungry a lot of the time. I don't understand how people stick with eating less.

I lost weight to my first goal at the rate of a pound a week until I hit my first goal. I have revised that goal down and slowed the weight loss, but I am still now 10 pounds under my original goal.

I always made a point of trying to get a really good estimate of calories burned by use of a HRM and such, not just going by the estimates here in the database. I tended toward underestimation if anything.

I also tended toward overestimation of my calories consumed,
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    As you can see this is a hot topic and you can read at least a hundred different post about it.
    I am 53, been here since Jan 1st. Have lost 77.6 pounds to date. My opinion and that is all
    it is (and you know what they day about opionions and everybody having one...)

Use common sense. If you have made it to your fifty's and have been dieting off and on,
    and have always had more than say 50 pounds to lose. You know your body, you know
    how it reacts. I do not eat back all of my exercise calories. Yes, starvation mode is real.
    Yes, the body is "hard headed" (hey, just like us) and wants to hold on to weight at different
    times. Remember the old "set point theory" - it's real. When I exercise more than normal,
    yes, I eat extra calories as my body lets me know it needs it.

Do your research, be totally honest about what you are taking i n. Log it (weigh it, measure it
    - until you really get the hang of it, count every nibble and taste). Drink your water... the body
    is made up mainly of water..if you do not get enough it holds on to it too ! when you drink
    enough (not so much that your urine is clear and looks like water), the body will balance out.

Check out the, dang can't remeber the name... but where you eat say 1200 calories for a couple of days,
    then eat say 1400, then back to 1200, and then maybe 1300...keeps the body from knowing just what
    you are going to do next. A suggestion to add to all of this...lol... make sure the calories you consume
    are nutrition dense and spead them out over 3-5 meals.

We older ladies, can do this. This site is full of them that have and are..

Read, learn, use common sense along with nutritional advise...
    Go out there and get healthy!!!

best wishes along your journey
    Margie