Black Bean Brownies

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i'ts okay- I figured it out. shrug I dunno- it literally just popped up into my FB feed- so I was amused- and thought I'd share LOL
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I make them with a packet chocolate brownie mix by replacing 3 eggs and 200g of butter with a can of beans (which I rinse really well, add back water into the can and blend until liquid). It results in a huge chocolate fudgey brownie for 140 cals

Nobody has been able to tell the difference so far.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    reference
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the oddball, I love my black bean brownies and mine do come out fudgy so perhaps it's all in how you make them. I don't drain my beans, I puree them until smooth then add a box of mix (never tried from scratch) and bake. I prefer to have nuts in my brownies but like them with or without. Note that you really do need to cook them longer and they are much heavier than a traditional brownie but I've not had a complaint when I bring a pan around they do get eaten and yes I have checked the trash to be sure.

I'd suggest for anyone curious to try making a batch, what's the worst case scenario?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For those that make the brownies with a mix and beans, why do you add the beans? Just for added nutrients and protein? I can't use a mix because that would have too many carbs from flour and sugar. The beans will take the place of flour.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    For those that make the brownies with a mix and beans, why do you add the beans? Just for added nutrients and protein? I can't use a mix because that would have too many carbs from flour and sugar. The beans will take the place of flour.

I use beans to replace 3 eggs and 200g of butter that the mix uses. It's a huge calorie saving. For me, it's really about the calories, not the carbs. They're something I have as an infrequent treat.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I tried the black bean brownies over the weekend. They weren't horrible, but they weren't great either. The texture was odd. We threw them out.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Maitria wrote: »

Thanks, I might give those a try! Simple and low carb

Does that site give nutritional information? I didn't see it. Maybe I'll try MFP, though I hate entering stuff here.

What makes these 'turtle' brownies. Normally turtles have caramel and nuts. Though it's a bean brownie so I guess we've already left the realm of normal.

talking the ones I listed?

not a fricking clue- but I'm always interested when I open it and it's not a complete and utter ridiculous list of crap I have to chase down somewhere- but mostly stuff I have in my pantry... so I had interest.

but yeah no idea why the turtle bit. shrug- sprinkle some carmel chocolate chips on top- bam- almost turtle ?? LOL

"Turtle bean" is another name for black beans...kind of like garbanzo beans also being called chickpeas. Nothing at all to do with caramel and nuts...which is sad.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love them. They taste more like cake than brownies. When serving, I melted a square of dark chocolate over the top. Tasted yummy!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

Does that site give nutritional information? I didn't see it. Maybe I'll try MFP, though I hate entering stuff here.

What makes these 'turtle' brownies. Normally turtles have caramel and nuts. Though it's a bean brownie so I guess we've already left the realm of normal.

not a fricking clue- but I'm always interested when I open it and it's not a complete and utter ridiculous list of crap I have to chase down somewhere- but mostly stuff I have in my pantry... so I had interest.

but yeah no idea why the turtle bit. shrug- sprinkle some carmel chocolate chips on top- bam- almost turtle ?? LOL

"Turtle bean" is another name for black beans...kind of like garbanzo beans also being called chickpeas. Nothing at all to do with caramel and nuts...which is sad.

Well, I just learned something new today. B)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

Well, I just learned something new today. B)

me to!!!

thank god for the internet!
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I made some with kidney beans, a crappy processor (like, one of the mini ones with different attachments) and loads of spices and a few raisins as well as splenda. They weren't too bad to be honest, so it's probably otherwise good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bumping this for the holidays. If you've never tried them, you absolutely should.
    Today I made them with black SOY beans. Also quite yummy. I added some walnuts and a little peanut butter drizzled on top.
    That said, black bean brownies aren't really low carb. The soybean ones probably qualify however.
    Regardless, a tasty dessert!
    x8x0317jt0dx.png
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for the holidays. If you've never tried them, you absolutely should.
    Today I made them with black SOY beans. Also quite yummy. I added some walnuts and a little peanut butter drizzled on top.
    That said, black bean brownies aren't really low carb. The soybean ones probably qualify however.
    Regardless, a tasty dessert!
    x8x0317jt0dx.png

Such a good idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I tried the black bean brownies over the weekend. They weren't horrible, but they weren't great either. The texture was odd. We threw them out.

Thanks for updating that. Saved me the trouble of trying for myself. :)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've had better success using bean flour as a partial replacement for wheat flour, you can replace up to 1/4 of the total amount with bean flour. Using a mild flavor of bean, it blends in and no one knows any better. Doing this with whole wheat bead, and using things like green peas and molasses, you can bake some really hearty tasty breads.

I have a grinder that will grind beans as well as grains, so I've experimented a bunch.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've had better success using bean flour as a partial replacement for wheat flour, you can replace up to 1/4 of the total amount with bean flour. Using a mild flavor of bean, it blends in and no one knows any better. Doing this with whole wheat bead, and using things like green peas and molasses, you can bake some really hearty tasty breads.

I have a grinder that will grind beans as well as grains, so I've experimented a bunch.

Thanks for this. A great addition to the thread!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. A great addition to the thread!

Thank you. ;) I'd like to add that if you like to sample while putting ingredients together, the bean flour adds a very raw, unappetizing flavor to the batter or dough. After cooking it melds into the whole baked good but before cooking, you might wonder what baking atrocities you were committing. haha
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I tried the. I wasn't a fan of the texture but they were edible. The family gobbled them down (only because I rarely bake treats these days). Haven't made them since.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    I tried the. I wasn't a fan of the texture but they were edible. The family gobbled them down (only because I rarely bake treats these days). Haven't made them since.

How does this add to the thread?