Cardio or weight lifting to lose weight?

Options
Hi everyone.

I REALLY want to start working out again. After I had my daughter who is now 3 I completely lost motivation and got really busy with work and life. Now i want to start getting serious about my body and health and I just don't know how to truly start. I go to the gym ocassionaly, and do mostly cardio and a couple of legs machines. However, I really want to lose 20 pounds and get to where I was before the baby. I'm 5'4 and currently weighting 145 pounds. I'm not sure if I should start doing cardio and just focus on weight loss and then tone up or if I should be doing both. What are your suggestions?

Let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• japplayz
    japplayz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Both is good .. However I believe heavy strength training & diet works best for me. Little no cardio is needed if eating right
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neither for weight loss (that comes from a calorie deficit).

Both for all round health, fitness and body composition.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss. No exercise is necessary, but they are beneficial in other ways. Cardio will help strengthen your heart (as well as give you a few more calories to burn), and lifting will help you retain lean muscle and focus more of the loss on fat.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Keeping calories in check is the biggest thing to do. I used to do mostly cardio, but this time around I've switched to primarily lifting, with a day or two of cardio mixed in. If anything needs to get bypassed due to my schedule, it's the cardio. It's good to do both though. Weights help with overall body strength, and cardio obviously works heart/lungs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    neither, the answer is calorie deficit.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

She said she wants to start hitting the gym again. Why not give reading a try?

• ndj1979
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

The answer is still calorie deficit...

Op can go to the gym seven days a week, eat in a surplus, and she won't lose one pound.

Also, the title of the thread is cardio or weight lifting for weight loss to which the answer is neither..

My reading is fine thank you.
  • akowens78
    akowens78 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I agree with first post. If you're a member of Planet Fitness, there are bar codes on the machines. These link to an app called Life Fitness. It can track your machine workouts and cardio. It connects with My Fitness Pal and Fitbit.
  • alabrake44
    alabrake44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I started where you are after having my daughter. I didn't start working out until she was a year old. Then when I started I lost 35 lbs within 4 months.
    I lost my mojo a bit and gained about 7lbs back.

What worked for me was a combination of all 3. Cardio and weights 3-4 days a week, 1500kcal a day, and weights 1-2 a week. Biggest thing for me was "clean eating" I didn't eat any garbage foods and really began to like fruits and Vegies again!! It helped that my daughter shared the same enthusiasm for them so they were always in the house!

Also, cut eating late. I ate a light 7pm dinner and then was done for the day!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

-Ali
  • ndj1979
    edited November 2015
    Options
    alabrake44 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I started where you are after having my daughter. I didn't start working out until she was a year old. Then when I started I lost 35 lbs within 4 months.

What worked for me was a combination of all 3. Cardio and weights 3-4 days a week, 1500kcal a day, and weights 1-2 a week. Biggest thing for me was "clean eating" I didn't eat any garbage foods and really began to like fruits and Vegies again!! It helped that my daughter shared the same enthusiasm for them so they were always in the house!

-Ali

what are "garbage foods"?

Clean eating is not necessary for weight loss.

Why can't OP eat after 7pm?

OP - I would recommend disregarding this advice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    alabrake44 wrote: »
    Hey,

-Ali

what are "garbage foods"?

Clean eating is not necessary for weight loss?

Why can't OP eat after 7pm?

OP - I would recommend disregarding this advice.

You beat me to it......

There are no bad foods, the mindset that things you may love are forbidden only leads to feelings of deprivation. Love Krispy Kreme? Enjoy one now and then......you're building habits to last a lifetime.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Bit of both
  • cnbbnc
    Options

Op can go to the gym seven days a week, eat in a surplus, and she won't lose one pound.

Also, the title of the thread is cardio or weight lifting for weight loss to which the answer is neither..

Im not disputing CICO. And then she goes on to ask whether she should stick to cardio or start toning (there's your favorite word again!) now.

If you simply want to lose weight, then a deficit will do it, but if you want a tight body (notice I didn't say toned) then make a beeline for the weights op.

• ndj1979
    Options

Im not disputing CICO. And then she goes on to ask whether she should stick to cardio or start toning (there's your favorite word again!) now.

If you simply want to lose weight, then a deficit will do it, but if you want a tight body (notice I didn't say toned) then make a beeline for the weights op.

Again, the answer to ops question is calorie deficit, not sure why are you arguing about this.

If she cares about body recomp then she should strength train, pay attention to macros, and...wait for it..eat in a deficit.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

And, exercising aids in creating a caloric deficit of you eat appropriately.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

^ This.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have focused more on strength training in the beginning as opposed to my cardio bunny stage. I lost a lot of strength in the beginning and after 5 months of continuous strength training (In a deficit) I'm FINALLY catching up.
  • Isc1523
    Isc1523 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You've all been very helpful !
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lift the weights. Start yesterday. Stay in a deficit. Moderate cardio.

That's my two cents.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find I get more weight loss success, with weights, calorie deficit and a small amount of cardio.

Goodluck :)