Cardio or weight lifting to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wonder if people use the search function or read the stickies before asking these kind of entry level questions. There are 5 threads or more a day on this subject.
  • CMDO34
    CMDO34 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cardio in zone 2
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Neither for weight loss (that comes from a calorie deficit).

Both for all round health, fitness and body composition.

Pretty much this.
    With the caveat: Do what you enjoy and what you will stick to.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    alabrake44 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I started where you are after having my daughter. I didn't start working out until she was a year old. Then when I started I lost 35 lbs within 4 months.
    I lost my mojo a bit and gained about 7lbs back.

What worked for me was a combination of all 3. Cardio and weights 3-4 days a week, 1500kcal a day, and weights 1-2 a week. Biggest thing for me was "clean eating" I didn't eat any garbage foods and really began to like fruits and Vegies again!! It helped that my daughter shared the same enthusiasm for them so they were always in the house!

Also, cut eating late. I ate a light 7pm dinner and then was done for the day!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

-Ali

what are "garbage foods"?

Clean eating is not necessary for weight loss?

Why can't OP eat after 7pm?

OP - I would recommend disregarding this advice.

You beat me to it......

There are no bad foods, the mindset that things you may love are forbidden only leads to feelings of deprivation. Love Krispy Kreme? Enjoy one now and then......you're building habits to last a lifetime.

I don't understand why people keep saying there are no bad foods. Absolutely untrue. If a food gives you calories with little to no nutritional value, it's garbage. It's empty calories. Sure, you can still lose weight by eating at a deficit, but without the proper nutrients you'll be craving more and more food, spinning your wheels while your body tries to find what it needs.

The best foods are those that contain one ingredient. These are the foods that will truly nourish your body and you should try to cultivate a taste for them by finding recipes that appeal to you and your family. If you're building new habits, aim to make them good ones.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I started where you are after having my daughter. I didn't start working out until she was a year old. Then when I started I lost 35 lbs within 4 months.

What worked for me was a combination of all 3. Cardio and weights 3-4 days a week, 1500kcal a day, and weights 1-2 a week. Biggest thing for me was "clean eating" I didn't eat any garbage foods and really began to like fruits and Vegies again!! It helped that my daughter shared the same enthusiasm for them so they were always in the house!

-Ali

You beat me to it......

There are no bad foods, the mindset that things you may love are forbidden only leads to feelings of deprivation. Love Krispy Kreme? Enjoy one now and then......you're building habits to last a lifetime.

I don't understand why people keep saying there are no bad foods. Absolutely untrue. If a food gives you calories with little to no nutritional value, it's garbage. It's empty calories. Sure, you can still lose weight by eating at a deficit, but without the proper nutrients you'll be craving more and more food, spinning your wheels while your body tries to find what it needs.

The best foods are those that contain one ingredient. These are the foods that will truly nourish your body and you should try to cultivate a taste for them by finding recipes that appeal to you and your family. If you're building new habits, aim to make them good ones.

So apples are bad because multiple ingredients..??

No one is saying eat a diet devoid of nutrients. What we are saying is get nutrients first then hit macros and then your calories in with foods you enjoy.

There are no bad foods in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros.
  • apreimer2
    apreimer2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey,

-Ali

You beat me to it......

No one is saying eat a diet devoid of nutrients. What we are saying is get nutrients first then hit macros and then your calories in with foods you enjoy.

An apple has multiple ingredients??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    weight loss and weight management in general has more to do with your diet and how much you're eating than anything else. regular exercise makes weight management infinitely easier because it increases your body's energy (calorie) requirements...but in and of itself, exercise doesn't result in losing weight.

just as an example, i generally ride around 80 miles per week...sometimes more; i lift 2-3x per week, walk my dog regularly, do some hiking and a little swimming here and there and in general i'm pretty active outside of work...i have lost weight, maintained my weight, and gained weight doing all of those things...the difference in my weight wasn't the exercise, it was my eating.
    Hey,

-Ali

You beat me to it......

context is very important here...so is dosage. nobody is saying to eat a diet void of nutrients...but having a cookie now and then or a piece of candy now and then doesn't magically erase all of your other nutrition...

also...when I'm out on a 50 mile ride, jolly ranchers come in pretty handy as they give me fast acting energy and they also keep my mouth wet...in context, those jolly ranchers aren't really garbage, they're highly beneficial.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    apreimer2 wrote: »
    Hey,

-Ali

You beat me to it......

aal06vamx6oy.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Hey,

-Ali

You beat me to it......

aal06vamx6oy.jpg

beat me to it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hey,

-Ali

You beat me to it......

aal06vamx6oy.jpg

beat me to it!

and unpronounceable, the horror >:)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    aal06vamx6oy.jpg

OMGEEEE, teh TOXINZZZZ!!!11!!1!

As usual, context and dosage are completely ignored. You're either eating 100% "clean" or you're stuffing junk down your pie hole 24/7. No possibility of a reasonable middle ground between the two. Moderation doesn't exist to an orthorexic.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    both!!!!!! And the cardio is good for conditioning but you don't need to do an hour of cardio. and throw in some fitness blender workouts too for good measure. Jeez everyone is a wise guy. Do the exercise; no need to split hairs on semantics (rolls eyes). Exercise is great and being strong is great and the end result is you lose weight and feel amazing. Don't let anyone confuse you. And watch that you are in deficit. That's important.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ahem
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    CNBC Said "She said she wants to start hitting the gym again. Why not give reading a try?"

Hahahahahaha

Neither. She needs neither to lose weight, that was her question. Her question should have been "Should I do both?" Then the answer should be yes. Yes Yes Yes.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Best wishes!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Isc1523 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I REALLY want to start working out again. After I had my daughter who is now 3 I completely lost motivation and got really busy with work and life. Now i want to start getting serious about my body and health and I just don't know how to truly start. I go to the gym ocassionaly, and do mostly cardio and a couple of legs machines. However, I really want to lose 20 pounds and get to where I was before the baby. I'm 5'4 and currently weighting 145 pounds. I'm not sure if I should start doing cardio and just focus on weight loss and then tone up or if I should be doing both. What are your suggestions?

Let me know your thoughts!

I like both.

I've never seen any good reasons to postpone strength training.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ValGogo wrote: »
    CNBC Said "She said she wants to start hitting the gym again. Why not give reading a try?"

Hahahahahaha

Neither. She needs neither to lose weight, that was her question. Her question should have been "Should I do both?" Then the answer should be yes. Yes Yes Yes.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Best wishes!!

I think you mean the answer to all three should be yes, including the deficit part.

I think it's also a lot less boring to do some strength and cardio at the same time, and one often helps in some ways with the other.