What do you guys do to stop yourself from eating when you aren't hungry?

Options
Ive been chewing gum, but I still want to keep eating throughout the day.

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Smoke and drink coffee.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I get up and move.
  • reclinton
    reclinton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't stop eating either..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I try to stay full by eating a lot of low-cal food. Fruits and veggies. Fruit is so sweet and tasty.

As for wanting sugary-fat treats like candy and stuff - I usually don't. When I do, I know I want to be healthy and thin more than I want brownies, so I skip the brownies and peanut butter cups.

It's really just about what you want. Do you want to eat that or do you want something else? You choose and then go with it. Enjoy it, either way. :)
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I've been surprised with how a big glass of ice water can curb my instinct to mindlessly snack.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    During the evenings I crochet. It keeps my hands and mind busy and I'm not about to risk getting food on whatever I'm working on.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water
    Drink a cup of your favourite tea
    Exercise

And also, I space out my meals and snacks throughout the day so that I know that I've only got an hour or so before I can have a banana or my afternoon yogurt or whatever.

Plus, over the months, I've determined which foods are worth it, in that they are not too high in calories and have good staying power ... and which foods are not worth it, somewhat higher in calories, but I'm hungry again 20 min later.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't do this often (I get actually hungry more often, lol), but I eat a Roma tomato/some cherry tomatoes or I get a lollipop. Sometimes even a cough drop works great.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I usually save about 5 buffalo wings for times like these...the only though is I'll mix up like the type of sauce so it could be parmesean garlic or I could go Caribbean jerk...just depends on the type of hunger and also what sides I'm having...either wedge cut or steak cut fries....I dunno...hope this helps...great thread!!!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth :)
  • rstephensmorales
    Options
    I find when I eat a dinner that is high in protein, it helps to curb the evening hungries. I also like herbal tea after dinner.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    A motto:
    If hungry isn't the problem, food isn't the answer.

I'm finding that journaling/blogging is helpful to drill down and find the root to some of my self-defeating patterns......one of which is eating when I'm not even hungry
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I rarely have the urge to graze mindlessly and attribute this to a combination of:

1. Exercising more and getting happy hormones from that.
    2. Eating more protein (and fat and fiber) in relationship to carbs, which fills me up better. When I eat higher carb meals, I'm not satisfied, and want to keep eating.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea. It fills me up and I have to drink it slowly. Usually the craving is gone by the time I'm finished.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth :)

That^
    I floss, brush my teeth, use mouth wash, and put on my refreshing minty lip balm.
    Feels too clean to keep eating! (until I'm really hungry)
  • kjs5z970
    kjs5z970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree drinking a big glass of water helps me too

• ruthtruman
    ruthtruman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I walk instead. I eat when I'm bored so I have to get out of the house, or engage my mind in something interesting. By the end of every week for 6 months now, I've logged over 5 miles a day on my Fitbit. Walking not only diverts by attention and boosts my metabolism, it takes away my hunger (unless I'm really truly physically hungry).
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Call it a day and go to bed. (This really only works at night.)
  • chelseamckell
    chelseamckell Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm getting lots of good ideas here. And it's nice to know I'm not alone! :)
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't keep any snacks in my house, and don't bring cash to work to buy from the vending machine. I find a cup of tea with sugar and milk fills me up :)