belly fat since menopause

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some weight training, Pilates, or something. It does help.

Also, consider joining us here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I also believe cutting back refined carbs at this time helps (and I'm not alone in my beliefs if you google a bit).

Good luck!

I think if it helps you stick to a defecit then cutting carbs is fine advice. Otherwise I've yet to see any robust information that says it's required .. it's just the current fad
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with you Sabine - my brother who is a Director for a home-delivery based healthy eating company in FL, said to stay away from Carbs, which turns into sugar, which then turns into Fat... He also has been working out for 30 years and said to always do weight / resistance training and very little cardio. He's 53 and his body looks like a 35 year old. Deliverlean.com for anyone in the FL area.. I wish I was :( But thanks for the Link....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I also believe cutting back refined carbs at this time helps (and I'm not alone in my beliefs if you google a bit).

Good luck!

I think if it helps you stick to a defecit then cutting carbs is fine advice. Otherwise I've yet to see any robust information that says it's required .. it's just the current fad

I don't think I said "required", but it's been the recommendation from several well known doctors since the '90s. I guess that could be considered a fad.
    As I've said, several studies have suggested insulin resistance is common in menopause (and insulin resistance and the menopot seem to go hand in hand). High cortisol is common in menopause (which everyone experiences somewhat "individually"). Both suggest a lowering of refined carbs. I'm not saying "go low carb", merely suggesting high fiber, nutrient dense carbs. Which, by the way: higher fiber is also often a recommendation.
    Gosh, if someone comes looking for advice, why not suggest what studies, doctors, books suggest?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Good luck!

I don't think I said "required", but it's been the recommendation from several well known doctors since the '90s. I guess that could be considered a fad.
    As I've said, several studies have suggested insulin resistance is common in menopause (and insulin resistance and the menopot seem to go hand in hand). High cortisol is common in menopause (which everyone experiences somewhat "individually"). Both suggest a lowering of refined carbs. I'm not saying "go low carb", merely suggesting high fiber, nutrient dense carbs. Which, by the way: higher fiber is also often a recommendation.
    Gosh, if someone comes looking for advice, why not suggest what studies, doctors, books suggest?

Doctors and governments advise eating less, eating nutritionally balanced diet and moving more

On this forum insulin resistance is often thrown out there as causative rather than associative and the inflation of the numbers quoted are outstanding

I don't have anything positive to say about most "well known doctors" who are well known through their media and marketing so why would I buy Into their advice . As soon as something is packaged and sold it makes me wary
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • footstepspj
    footstepspj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same belly pooch issue. I'm not menopausal and haven't had kids, but I lost 110 pounds and now I have extra skin and a pooch in my belly. It's just so stubborn!! Everything else went away but the pooch. Frustrating !! :'(

Feel free to add me - anyone!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2015
    Options

Good luck!

Doctors and governments advise eating less, eating nutritionally balanced diet and moving more

On this forum insulin resistance is often thrown out there as causative rather than associative and the inflation of the numbers quoted are outstanding

I don't have anything positive to say about most "well known doctors" who are well known through their media and marketing so why would I buy Into their advice . As soon as something is packaged and sold it makes me wary
    Note that I carefully juxtaposed menopause and insulin resistance. I did not explicate a causative relationship. (there's also a **relationship** between hot flashes and insulin resistance.)

Last time we had this conversation I posted pubmed links to articles about insulin resistance and menopause. About cortisol and belly fat. And references to gynecologists. Not folks selling diets. Not Dr. Oz and the like.

My point was simple: many intelligent people have studied or treated women in menopause recommend a reduction in heavily refined carbs (and an increase in vegetables). Do it or don't. No skin off my nose.

I won't bother to repeat myself here.

Cheers to the OP, and good luck finding what works for you in YOUR menopause.
  • bborley
    bborley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see so many positive comments. It is helping me decide which heathy habit I will pick for my week 2 challenge. My water intake is on target, which I have noticed fills me up. I did exercise again this morning. How much cardio vs weight training is a good mix? I love my carbs, so that could be a difficult challenge.

l
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    bborley wrote: »
    I am happy to see so many positive comments. It is helping me decide which heathy habit I will pick for my week 2 challenge. My water intake is on target, which I have noticed fills me up. I did exercise again this morning. How much cardio vs weight training is a good mix? I love my carbs, so that could be a difficult challenge.

l

The carb thing is a matter of personal choice not a requirement. If you like low carbing and find it helps you stick to your calorie defecit then it may be a worthwhile personal challenge. You will find for satiety that the more nutritionally dense carbohydrates will be better. A good challenge may be ensuring you eat 5-8 portions of different colourful vegetables per day

Weight training I would suggest building up to 3x a week, cardio 2x 20 minute sessions is adequate for cardiovascular health
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Good luck!

Note that I carefully juxtaposed menopause and insulin resistance. I did not explicate a causative relationship. (there's also a **relationship** between hot flashes and insulin resistance.)

Last time we had this conversation I posted pubmed links to articles about insulin resistance and menopause. About cortisol and belly fat. And references to gynecologists. Not folks selling diets. Not Dr. Oz and the like.

My point was simple: many intelligent people have studied or treated women in menopause recommend a reduction in heavily refined carbs (and an increase in vegetables). Do it or don't. No skin off my nose.

I won't bother to repeat myself here.

Cheers to the OP, and good luck finding what works for you in YOUR menopause.

Perhaps you would link that post here as I've had a quick look and can't find it
  • bborley
    Options
    I did well with my water intake today. I exercised again this morning.
  • shieldss75
    shieldss75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new here -- starting over. I was taken off Climara patch May 2014. Gained 15 pounds on top if my already over weight self. Menopause hormones!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I did well with my water intake today. I exercised again this morning.

Well done!

Don't forget to join us on the menopause group if you haven't. Lots of information there!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    The body slims down proportionately when you eat in a caloric deficit. It works.

As mentioned many times, add strength training - body weight or lifting weights to tighten up the midsection. But the calorie deficit is king.
  • bborley
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The body slims down proportionately when you eat in a caloric deficit. It works.

As mentioned many times, add strength training - body weight or lifting weights to tighten up the midsection. But the calorie deficit is king.

• bborley
    Options
    I know that calorie intake is the biggest thing. I did weight watchers lost alot of weight felt and looked great. I gained it back. Then I went on Herbalife and Shakology lost weight there to and gained it back. That is why I am going to try to make one healthy choice at a time. With the holidays coming I just don't want to gain anymore weight!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I hear you, and I understand what you're saying. But if you start creating a deficit today, you'll start losing more today. It is actually a very easy component once you start, and will make the biggest bang for your daily buck. Promise xo
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I know that calorie intake is the biggest thing. I did weight watchers lost alot of weight felt and looked great. I gained it back. Then I went on Herbalife and Shakology lost weight there to and gained it back. That is why I am going to try to make one healthy choice at a time. With the holidays coming I just don't want to gain anymore weight!

I fell prey to some gimmicky things like avoiding sugar or eating low carb. It's great when the weight starts coming off, but definitely not great when the weight comes back. I just couldn't sustain those ways of eating. It's been revelatory to simply cut calories and keep eating everything that I enjoy.

Focusing on one healthy choice at a time is great. But you really can just start eating at a deficit (not even an aggressive one) while implementing your healthy choices, and therefore get more "bang for your buck." Holidays aren't landmines at all - you just take less of everything that you like.

• Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

bborley. I understand where you are coming from with one healthy change at a time. I am 63 and struggle to lose weight. I have put weight on around my waist and stomach. I am a member of weightwatchers and find great support there. I love this site because you get lots of support and helpful advice. I am not sure how you add people on here but would love to help motivate you to keep going and also try to make one healthy change myself. People have sent me friend requests , for which I am grateful of their support. I am not sure how you add people.
  • bborley
    Options
    I was gone this weekend with my mom and sisters. It was a great time! My 2nd week challenge I will not have any food or caloric drinks, just water after 7:30 pm ( I get home at 6:30pm). I will be continuing my 64 oz of water.