Weight loss shakes?

Options
has anyone had any experiace with weight loss shakes / meal replacements? I have been using "the man shake" for awhile now but haven't really been religious with it, normally only have it for breakfast and follow up with healthy and protion controled meals. I have dropped around 19 kilos in the last 3 months or so, pretty proud of myself

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Haven't used them. Can't help you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I used a shake to replace my breakfast, but I was always hungry soon after and I didn't lose weight because I'd still eat in a calorie surplus. Now, I skip breakfast and have a protein shake as a midmorning snack. It's less calories than a meal replacement and I have lunch not that long after. It's helped me hit my protein and daily calorie goals. You just need to find what works for you.
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Back in the day I used a shake to replace my breakfast, but I was always hungry soon after and I didn't lose weight because I'd still eat in a calorie surplus. Now, I skip breakfast and have a protein shake as a midmorning snack. It's less calories than a meal replacement and I have lunch not that long after. It's helped me hit my protein and daily calorie goals. You just need to find what works for you.

I agree with this as well. Something that has also works for me. If what yiu are currently doing is working.. Stick with it.
    Good luck!

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've used a meal replacement shake for the last 2.5 years. Though I don't consider it a weight loss shake, just an easy way to start the day with a good balance of macros, minerals, fiber and vitamins.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Shakes don't teach you how to eat correctly. Also shake diets have one of the highest weight regain results due to that issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My fiancee would have a meal replacement shake and bar for breakfast, and would tell me she was content until lunch on them. The benefits I would think depend on the person, though. I'm sure for someone only looking to lose 20 lbs, that probably isn't the best option, but considering my fiancee has a significant amount to lose (100+), I thought it was a good start? So to each their own. :)
  • kierrajoseph
    kierrajoseph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about slim fast ?
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used them as a meal replacement when I had a lot to lose because it was a protein and nutrient packed meal with few calories. I would usually have a shake and a piece of fruit (or combine for a smoothie!) for a meal. Now that my calorie restrictions are a little lower, I can eat more at each meal so I don't really need them any more.

I used the shake for only one meal a day though. I would not recommend having shakes for all three meals or even two unless your calorie restriction is REALLY high. I got bored with them after a while too. It was hard to keep going with the same three flavors all the time.
  • jaiRSmith
    jaiRSmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use a shake meal simply because of I didn't I wouldn't get breakfast. I have to rush around in the morning getting my oldest ready for school and my youngest ready to go to the gym with me. I also drive my husband to work in the mornings. Having a shake gives me a quick meal that has more to it than just a banana or apple.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try not to drink my calories, as I feel sated longer with real food.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after my workout as my first meal of the day. 200 calories including the milk. An extra 60 if I add a scoop of supplemental fiber. Helps keep my calories in check and convenient for me.

15 pounds down. 35 to go. I'm happy with them if only for the convenience.

I make mine with tons of crushed ice so I find it quite filling.

If it's working for you, I'd stick with it.