Tips for Low Carb eaters

Options
LisaKyle11
LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
Good Morning All-

I am attempting to limits my carbs to 50 (net) for the next few weeks and am wondering if you have any tips. I find it pretty darn hard to stay under or at that amount -- I usually end up at around 60-70 even when I am really trying. I haven't lost ANY weight in over a year and am interested in seeing if I drop my carbs, if that will make a difference.

Thanks much!

Replies

• gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes it will help you....Feel free to look at my diary...I'm a low carb/low calorie eater, because that's what works for me...key 123..
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    Usually I get all my carbs from the fruits vegetables and dairy that I eat and one serving from whole grain wrap or something else that is full of fiber. I seldom add extra carbs like bread or pasta to my meals because that makes the grams of carbs go up a lot.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    Another tip would be to eat your whole wheat, complex carbs, in the morning and then the rest of the day do veggies. When I was on the low carb, I would eat 2 whole wheat bread slices for breakfast and then triscut whole wheat crackers for the morning snack. Those were the only "carbs" I would have all day except for veggies. In order to add calories I would add whey protein to your diet if you are not already.

As far as protein sources, I would stick to turkey cutlets, fish, and skinless chicken breasts.

FYI, I just listed the carbs not the entire meal i had for breakfast or snack.
  • staceyoldt
    staceyoldt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never really tracked the "net" carbs; but the south beach diet was really great in kick starting my diet (not something I would do long term) and eliminating cravings for bad carbs; instead of using bread for sandwiches (which is higher in carbs), I put my lean turkey in a romaine or lettuce leaf with some laughing cow cheese (only 35 calories per wedge) and would roll them up and eat them like that;
    For breakfast, I would cook 1 egg on the stove with a part skim low fat mazz stick (50 cal) and some salsa with maybe 1 vegetarian sausage patty cut up into it
    snacks, I counted out pistachio's; or had celery/carrots dipped in measured out peanut butter or laughing cow cheese
    the south beach diet has you cut out almost all carbs that don't come from a plant for the first 2 weeks...then you slowly phase in the good ones or the ones that are slower to break down into sugars (this helps eliminate cravings).
    I lost 35 lbs following the SBD strictly, never cheating, in 5 weeks; i then switched to counting calories for longer term but mixing in principles of the south beach diet in terms of when to eat carbs. i still have a lot to lose; hope this helps
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I know that it isn't for everyone but what's working for me is to not eat any grains or legumes. I don't eat potatoes as a rule or sweets of any kind - other than 2 pieces of fruit per day (just added that back in)
    I use splenda.

It's difficult to stay within your projected carb range if you eat grains. I'd make up for not eating grains by substituting more veggies and some fruit. Add some fats and up your protein to feel full.

these blogs may be of help ...
    marksdailyapple.com
    nomnompaleo ... search recipes tab
    theclothesmakethegirl ... search recipes tab

Chocolate bars will have to go *for now*. :bigsmile:
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Myself I LOVE low carbing it... However, I tend to get cranky and tired, especially if I'm supper active. So, I do carb cycling. You can google this to get more info. Basically you have 3 low carb days (ex: mine are 96g carbs per day) followed by one day of high carbing it (205g)... Now the ratio of the proteins vary when you go from low to high carb days to offset the increased calorie. Good luck!

This website helped in getting the macros specific for me: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/carbcycling.htm
  • chaoticgemini
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing. Keeping my carbs under 50 everyday. A few things that I do:

1. Shiritaki Noodles. 1 Serving only has 3 carbs, and they're really not bad at all. It only has like 20 calories. They can be found with the tofu in your grocery store. Publix has them. Last time I went, Wal-Mart did not.
    2. a couple of peices of fat free turkey slathered with a little dijon and rolled around cheddar string cheese mmmm
    3. 97% fat free oscar meyer weiners
    4. Pickles. :)
    5. When I'm really feeling like I want something sweet and I'm ravenous I usually make a smoothie. Bananas, pineapple, unsweetened coconut, strawberries, whatever you like. Mix in a little greek yogurt and some nonfat milk or juice and voila!
    6. Lipton makes diet citrus green tea. It's 0 everything (except sodium) and green tea is a natural dieuretic.
    7. Egg Whites have no carbs.
    8. when I've used up my carbs for the day and i'm still pretty hungry I sip on warm broth or bullion. It's filling and the warm liquid makes you feel fuller.
  • LisaKyle11
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Do you all count calories as well or mainly just carbs?
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stay under 60 a day, I have pretty much cut out fruit, except for an occasional banana if Im having a low day. Bread, potatoes, rice are out for me as well. I stick with eggs for breakfast, protein shakes for snacks, salad with protein for lunch, and more meat and veggies for dinner.
    Best of luck on your journey!
  • LisaKyle11
    Options
    My goal is to stay under 60 a day, I have pretty much cut out fruit, except for an occasional banana if Im having a low day. Bread, potatoes, rice are out for me as well. I stick with eggs for breakfast, protein shakes for snacks, salad with protein for lunch, and more meat and veggies for dinner.

Do you count 'net' carbs --- subtracting the fiber from your total carb count?
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb-ing too. Try to stay under 10% net carbs a day. My diary is open if you're looking for ideas.
    My favorite breakfast (and sometimes snack) is this muffin-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/258089-low-carb-microwave-muffin
    It's saved me numerous times from feeling deprived.

Also this thread is helpful showing you how to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols from your carb count-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/254306-how-to-track-net-carbs-on-mfp

Good luck and happy low carb-ing!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing. Keeping my carbs under 50 everyday. A few things that I do:

1. Shiritaki Noodles. 1 Serving only has 3 carbs, and they're really not bad at all. It only has like 20 calories. They can be found with the tofu in your grocery store. Publix has them. Last time I went, Wal-Mart did not.
    2. a couple of peices of fat free turkey slathered with a little dijon and rolled around cheddar string cheese mmmm
    3. 97% fat free oscar meyer weiners
    4. Pickles. :)
    5. When I'm really feeling like I want something sweet and I'm ravenous I usually make a smoothie. Bananas, pineapple, unsweetened coconut, strawberries, whatever you like. Mix in a little greek yogurt and some nonfat milk or juice and voila!
    6. Lipton makes diet citrus green tea. It's 0 everything (except sodium) and green tea is a natural dieuretic.
    7. Egg Whites have no carbs.
    8. when I've used up my carbs for the day and i'm still pretty hungry I sip on warm broth or bullion. It's filling and the warm liquid makes you feel fuller.

all really good tips. I have come to the conclusion that low carb does not seem to be very low sodium friendly though :(
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Do you count 'net' carbs --- subtracting the fiber from your total carb count?

I do not count net carbs, but I also do no count veggies as long as its just salad stuff or frozen broccoli, cauliflower, stuff like that
  • LisaKyle11
    Options
    I'm low carb-ing too. Try to stay under 10% net carbs a day. My diary is open if you're looking for ideas.
    My favorite breakfast (and sometimes snack) is this muffin-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/258089-low-carb-microwave-muffin
    It's saved me numerous times from feeling deprived.

Also this thread is helpful showing you how to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols from your carb count-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/254306-how-to-track-net-carbs-on-mfp

Good luck and happy low carb-ing!

Thanks for the links and tips!