Low FODMAPS diet

Options
I am going to be starting the low FODMAPS diet soon (elimination phase) and wonder if anyone has any tips for this beginner.

Replies

• Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't expect it to be quick. How long will you be doing the elimination phase? My friend did the elimination and challenges last year. It was a few weeks before she felt any better, and she lost a lot of weight during the elimination, but by the end of it all, she has identified 3 main trigger foods (which all contain the same FODMAP) and it has changed her life.

Good luck.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    asltiffm wrote: »
    I am going to be starting the low FODMAPS diet soon (elimination phase) and wonder if anyone has any tips for this beginner.

Lots of luck. Btdt and at this point I eat very low fodmap. You'll feel so much better but it IS hard.
    My tip is be strict and promise yourself a reward when you're done :smile:
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I look forward to learning about this. I am in the process of being tested for celiac disease, I honestly don't feel I have celiac disease, my GI doctor mentioned FODMAP issues an alternative if the celiac is negative, I'm not quite sure what it all means yet. I'm having an EGD with bioposies on January 8, I'll know more then. I can't eliminate anything until then so that my results aren't skewed. I look forward to following this thread.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I've never done a full elimination diet, but I do try to avoid or limit the high FODMAP foods. Doing that helps my IBS symptoms much more than anything else I've tried.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    CherylP67 wrote: »
    I look forward to learning about this. I am in the process of being tested for celiac disease, I honestly don't feel I have celiac disease, my GI doctor mentioned FODMAP issues an alternative if the celiac is negative, I'm not quite sure what it all means yet. I'm having an EGD with bioposies on January 8, I'll know more then. I can't eliminate anything until then so that my results aren't skewed. I look forward to following this thread.

Wheat is high in fodmaps so even if you test negative for celiac, going gluten free can help with symptoms.
  • ldimicco
    ldimicco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of the elimination diet and it is tough. I tested negative for Celiac and am wondering if continuing to eat gluten during the elimination phase will be OK or still mess with my system. All of this info and restrictions can be overwhelming.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    ldimicco wrote: »
    I'm on day 5 of the elimination diet and it is tough. I tested negative for Celiac and am wondering if continuing to eat gluten during the elimination phase will be OK or still mess with my system. All of this info and restrictions can be overwhelming.
    Most people who do this aren't celiac. I think if you're going to go to the trouble, you might as well do it right or your results may not actually be right. I know it's hard but better to do it the best you can.
  • wardmic
    wardmic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm on my first week of the elimination and my dietician was pretty clear about eliminating all FODMAPs until all symptoms have resolved. you can add gluten back in first after the elimination to see if you really aren't affected. i know from following a low FODMAP diet (somewhat until I could get to the dietician) what some of my major triggers are but i'm hopeful this will really spell it all out. i've been through tests for the past year to figure out what's going on ...
  • CraigAvisonMaher
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only person bouncing between Celiac Disease and IBS. I've had an intolerance test (test on blood reactions to food proteins) and have had a "nutrition consultant" go over stuff that is consistant across several websites. I guess it's just a game of trial and error.

Any tips on great breakfast ideas that does not consist of oats, would be greatly appreciated. Just for a bit of variation.