Cold weather running gear?

Options
ShandaLeaS
ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I started running this last summer and would love to continue through the winter. However, we're now getting into the 30S and lower and we have some cut to the bone winds. Are there any certain brands that actually keep you warmer than others or even certain types of pants/shirts? Right now, I'm wearing layers but I can't add any more or else I won't be able to run

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Under armor cold weather gear is decent. What you need to look for isn't necessarily warmth but wind blocking. That might be your issue more than the heat aspect especially if it's just in 30s. Also remember a good hat and gloves, I lose a lot of heat from the hands and head.
  • ShandaLeaS
    Options
    It's just 30S now. We'll get down to -30S with windchill soon enough lol
  • hekla90
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Then you'll still need some good solid wind blocking gear. Doesn't matter what your other gear is rated if the wind cuts through it. I went snowboarding a few years ago in -20 degree weather and my normal base layer was fine because it (my jacket and pants) blocked the wind. Consider maybe a heavy weight ski/snowboard base layer set and wear under wind blocking running gear. Maybe look into getting an airhole face mask to protect your face and neck too from the wind it's what I use on reallllly cold boarding days.
  • ShandaLeaS
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First most of my comments are based on my cold tolerances, so you might have to adjust the suggestions up or down based on your own comfort level. For a frame of reference I keep my house in the mid sixties during the winter. Second this turned into a long post, but hopefully it provides most of the info you need.

Last year I trained for a marathon over the winter months and had many runs in single digit weather (no I idea what the wind chill was) and/or multiple inches of snow on the ground. I have had sweat freeze on the outer layer of my clothing, the moisture from my breath freeze into a layer of ice on my beard, water freeze in the bottles on my hydration belt and on my coldest runs the corners of my eyes start to freeze. Even in the coldest weather I would at most only wear three layers.
    You really need to build up an assortment of gear that can be layered together in different combinations based on the weather.

First rule, no cotton items. When it gets wet it will not keep you warm and your own sweat will reduce its ability to keep you warm. You want wicking fabrics that will move moisture away from your skin so that you don't get chilled by your sweat.

Second rule, you want to be slightly chilled at the start. After a few minutes of running your legs are going to be little furnaces heating your whole body. If you are already warm before you start running then by time your furnaces get fired up you are going to have sweat pouring off of you and wicking fabrics will not keep up.

Third rule, stay hydrated. You might not sweat as much as you do when running in the heat, but cold air is very dry and will rob you of moisture with each breath. Covering your mouth with a scarf can help with capturing some of the lost moisture and warming/moisturizing the incoming air so that it is not so harsh on your lungs.

Fourth rule, protect your water bottles. Water bottle are usually alright down to the mid-twenties. As the temperature goes down you run into problems with water freezing in the spout of bottle and then the bottle itself will freezing. For runs up to an hour or so you can get by with taking the lid off after the spout freezes. However for a multi hour run the bottle needs protected because once it starts freezing you can't thaw it without risking frostbite from the frozen water bottle.

Inner Layer: Compression tights and shirt. You can usually get compression gear in three weights/thicknesses (light, mid, heavy/cold weather). The light weight gear by itself will only keep you warm down into the 60s and provides no wind protection. These are really just a long sleeve/long leg version of the compression shorts you might wear in the summer. The heavy weight stuff can work down into the 40s or 30s and the mid weight somewhere in between. Once you have to start adding layers you want to layer closest to your skin to be snug so that it move with your body and does not rub against your skin or bunch up. As a man the only times I have come close to having bloody nipples is when I have layered up with a loose inner shirt, because the other layers press just enough so that the inner layer rubs instead of gliding over your skin.

Outer layer: Jacket, Athletic pants, wind breaker suit. The outer layer you want something that can stop the wind from cutting thru you, while still letting moisture out. Since you will possibly be wearing these over one or two other layers make sure that they are a little loose in the body, but fitted at the ankle, wrist, and waist. A jacket with thumb holes is nice because it prevents a between your gloves and the cuff of your jacket. Just make sure that the sleeves are long enough so that you can use the thumb holes and cross your arms in front of you without the sleeves and back pulling tight. Otherwise you run the risk of being part way through a run a feeling like the jackets going to cut through your thumb webbing. A zip-up jacket is better than a pull-over because you can partly unzip it to regulate your heat as you warm up. I avoid wearing jackets and pants with a nylon shell because they tend to trap moisture. I only wear nylon shells if I am more worried about water getting in than out.

Middle layer: 1/4 zip fleece pullover - Fleece provides a nice amount of warmth without a lot of bulk or weight. I have never used a middle layer on my legs because they produce so much heat while running that it is not needed. When I add a middle layer I usually only wear a light or mid weight inner layer.

Additional items:
    • Hat, scarf, Balaclava -The balaclava covers your head and neck and can be pulled over your mouth, but depending on the weave might restrict your breathing to much.
    • Gloves, Mittens, Glove Liners - Mittens are considered to be warmer than gloves because your fingers are kept together and share warmth. I just wore gloves and if my fingers got too cold I would pull them out of the fingers of the gloves and make fists in the palm of the gloves.
    • Trail shoes, water proof/resistant socks - Trail shoes provide better traction for running in the snow and some are water proof/resistant. I haven't used the socks before, but since my new trail shoes don't have a Gore-Tex layer I am probably going to be getting a pair to tryout this year.
    • Headlamp, reflective gear, lighted vest / NoxGear - Since it gets dark earlier, there is a good chance you will end up doing some of your running in the dark. You want a bright headlamp that lights up your path and get the attention of any oncoming cars and preferably uses AA or AAA batteries so that replacement batteries don't cost as much as the light.

To save money I bought a lot of my gear at discount stores like T.J. Maxx and Marshalls.
  • hekla90
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    First most of my comments are based on my cold tolerances, so you might have to adjust the suggestions up or down based on your own comfort level. For a frame of reference I keep my house in the mid sixties during the winter. Second this turned into a long post, but hopefully it provides most of the info you need.

Last year I trained for a marathon over the winter months and had many runs in single digit weather (no I idea what the wind chill was) and/or multiple inches of snow on the ground. I have had sweat freeze on the outer layer of my clothing, the moisture from my breath freeze into a layer of ice on my beard, water freeze in the bottles on my hydration belt and on my coldest runs the corners of my eyes start to freeze. Even in the coldest weather I would at most only wear three layers.
    You really need to build up an assortment of gear that can be layered together in different combinations based on the weather.

First rule, no cotton items. When it gets wet it will not keep you warm and your own sweat will reduce its ability to keep you warm. You want wicking fabrics that will move moisture away from your skin so that you don't get chilled by your sweat.

Second rule, you want to be slightly chilled at the start. After a few minutes of running your legs are going to be little furnaces heating your whole body. If you are already warm before you start running then by time your furnaces get fired up you are going to have sweat pouring off of you and wicking fabrics will not keep up.

Third rule, stay hydrated. You might not sweat as much as you do when running in the heat, but cold air is very dry and will rob you of moisture with each breath. Covering your mouth with a scarf can help with capturing some of the lost moisture and warming/moisturizing the incoming air so that it is not so harsh on your lungs.

Fourth rule, protect your water bottles. Water bottle are usually alright down to the mid-twenties. As the temperature goes down you run into problems with water freezing in the spout of bottle and then the bottle itself will freezing. For runs up to an hour or so you can get by with taking the lid off after the spout freezes. However for a multi hour run the bottle needs protected because once it starts freezing you can't thaw it without risking frostbite from the frozen water bottle.

Inner Layer: Compression tights and shirt. You can usually get compression gear in three weights/thicknesses (light, mid, heavy/cold weather). The light weight gear by itself will only keep you warm down into the 60s and provides no wind protection. These are really just a long sleeve/long leg version of the compression shorts you might wear in the summer. The heavy weight stuff can work down into the 40s or 30s and the mid weight somewhere in between. Once you have to start adding layers you want to layer closest to your skin to be snug so that it move with your body and does not rub against your skin or bunch up. As a man the only times I have come close to having bloody nipples is when I have layered up with a loose inner shirt, because the other layers press just enough so that the inner layer rubs instead of gliding over your skin.

Outer layer: Jacket, Athletic pants, wind breaker suit. The outer layer you want something that can stop the wind from cutting thru you, while still letting moisture out. Since you will possibly be wearing these over one or two other layers make sure that they are a little loose in the body, but fitted at the ankle, wrist, and waist. A jacket with thumb holes is nice because it prevents a between your gloves and the cuff of your jacket. Just make sure that the sleeves are long enough so that you can use the thumb holes and cross your arms in front of you without the sleeves and back pulling tight. Otherwise you run the risk of being part way through a run a feeling like the jackets going to cut through your thumb webbing. A zip-up jacket is better than a pull-over because you can partly unzip it to regulate your heat as you warm up. I avoid wearing jackets and pants with a nylon shell because they tend to trap moisture. I only wear nylon shells if I am more worried about water getting in than out.

Middle layer: 1/4 zip fleece pullover - Fleece provides a nice amount of warmth without a lot of bulk or weight. I have never used a middle layer on my legs because they produce so much heat while running that it is not needed. When I add a middle layer I usually only wear a light or mid weight inner layer.

Additional items:
    • Hat, scarf, Balaclava -The balaclava covers your head and neck and can be pulled over your mouth, but depending on the weave might restrict your breathing to much.
    • Gloves, Mittens, Glove Liners - Mittens are considered to be warmer than gloves because your fingers are kept together and share warmth. I just wore gloves and if my fingers got too cold I would pull them out of the fingers of the gloves and make fists in the palm of the gloves.
    • Trail shoes, water proof/resistant socks - Trail shoes provide better traction for running in the snow and some are water proof/resistant. I haven't used the socks before, but since my new trail shoes don't have a Gore-Tex layer I am probably going to be getting a pair to tryout this year.
    • Headlamp, reflective gear, lighted vest / NoxGear - Since it gets dark earlier, there is a good chance you will end up doing some of your running in the dark. You want a bright headlamp that lights up your path and get the attention of any oncoming cars and preferably uses AA or AAA batteries so that replacement batteries don't cost as much as the light.

To save money I bought a lot of my gear at discount stores like T.J. Maxx and Marshalls.

You can wear leggings in the 60s?! I run soooo cold normally but my hard cut off for requiring a shorts and tank without overheating is 40 degrees F, 30s earns a long sleeve shirt and warm warmers, below that leggings and gloves. I can't imagine running in compression shorts in the 60s! I also weigh in the mid 90s so I'm not carrying around a lot of extra insulation on my own. Really might come down to trial and error OP!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it does come down to trial and error.
    you need to stay warm so cold weather gear is important. also windproofedness. especially when that wind gets biting. and waterproofedness-depends on the need
    so what i look like in 30's is different than other people and depends on the windchill
    in the snow, in the 7ish mph, and mid 20F, i wore fleece leggings, sport socks with wicking ability, waterproof trail shoes, one light under layer, one long sleeve shirt and windproof jacket, midweight gloves, earband, and scarf. I ended up taking off the gloves but otherwise was comfortable

but all of this is up to your comfortablity factors
    Runners World has a good starting point site

also be visible. I'm covered glow in the dark and reflective items, but will probably get some lights soon.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Additional items:

Wow & thanks! what a wealth of good, solid, logical information. I've been running for years and usually once the temps dip in the 30's and the windchills are up and snow on the ground I'm running for cover (treadmill). But so far this year I've been running a lot and ran new extended routes to keep it interesting - nothing for me to run 13 on Saturday morning. So, I've been experimenting with layering more than normal and definitely appreciate your insight - thanks for sharing. I know this is off subject and not a fun subject... but any advise on a runny nose? From the time I start and to the end of my run, I am snotting, spitting, honking, blowing; but it just won't stop. Contemplating joining a running group to train for a marathon this spring - I would be embarrassed if I'm the only one doing this - is that normal? Thoughts appreciated.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I just picked up the Sugoi Firewall 180 running jacket... blocks the wind, repels the rain, toasty warm into single digits and below, thumbhole sleeves (love thumbholes), reflective ribbons all around, 3 nice zippered pockets and light-weight... this with one good base layer and winter running issues are solved.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Runny noses are very common. I get them too. here is an article from runners world
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    UA cold weather base layer, long sleeve cycling cold weather shirt

Cycling cold weather gear is best

It is designed to keep you warm going 15-20 on a bike

I run and cycle. When it is really cold and add wind. Top layer of a cycling cold weather jersey works

Performance Bicycle will have them on sale now.
  • trswallow
    Options
    krdews wrote: »

Additional items:

Wow & thanks! what a wealth of good, solid, logical information. I've been running for years and usually once the temps dip in the 30's and the windchills are up and snow on the ground I'm running for cover (treadmill). But so far this year I've been running a lot and ran new extended routes to keep it interesting - nothing for me to run 13 on Saturday morning. So, I've been experimenting with layering more than normal and definitely appreciate your insight - thanks for sharing. I know this is off subject and not a fun subject... but any advise on a runny nose? From the time I start and to the end of my run, I am snotting, spitting, honking, blowing; but it just won't stop. Contemplating joining a running group to train for a marathon this spring - I would be embarrassed if I'm the only one doing this - is that normal? Thoughts appreciated.

I usually keep a bandanna tucked into my hydration belt. During warm weather I use it to mop sweat off my arms and in cold weather I use it to dab my nose. I also use a nasal spray medication year round for sinus problems, which helps reduce the severity somewhat. If you have underlying sinus issues, then you should address that first and see if that helps with the exercise induced issues.
  • trswallow
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

Additional items:

You can wear leggings in the 60s?! I run soooo cold normally but my hard cut off for requiring a shorts and tank without overheating is 40 degrees F, 30s earns a long sleeve shirt and warm warmers, below that leggings and gloves. I can't imagine running in compression shorts in the 60s! I also weigh in the mid 90s so I'm not carrying around a lot of extra insulation on my own. Really might come down to trial and error OP!

Actually every fall I get thrown for a loop when the temperature drops into the 50s and 60s trying to decide if I need to wear long gear, if so how heavy and do I only need a long top or top and bottom. This kind of goes to remembering Rule Number 2, since for the previous seven months it has been comfortable or hot at the beginning of a run. Usually I do a run or two before I get it figured out again. This fall I did not get much running in, due to a family illness, so I was trying to remember from last fall at what point I would start covering up.

Ultimately everyone is an experiment of one and at first every time you go out to run in the cold will be a little experiment to figure out how you will respond to the cold based on what you choose to wear.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Additional items:

Thanks for taking the time to write this out! Much appreciated :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Columbia Omni heat products keep me very warm! They make a whole line from leggings to coats to ear warmers!