Protein sources

Options
I have a hard time hitting my protein macro without one (or usually two) scoops of whey. I know a lot of people seem to think that if you just eat "whole foods" and whatever else, you should have no problem getting the .8g/lb or .6g/lb or whatever. I just haven't found that's the case.

If I get a 6 or 7 ounce serving of chicken for lunch, another 6 ounces for a snack and a whole serving of protein for dinner, then I'm pretty close. But that's not realistic on a daily basis, for me.

Anyone else see any harm in using whey as a daily supplement like fish oil?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I see from your diary that your goal is 158 grams of protein. You don't really need that much protein if it's not working out with the way you eat.

The US RDI of protein for adult males is 56 grams. Twice that should be plenty for anyone (except perhaps for professional bodybuilders) so you might want to aim for 112 grams or even lower.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with using some protein powder to help meet your goal. You can eat things like greek yogurt and cottage cheese too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read it, this link may be helpful: List of foods with highest Protein Calorie Percentage

There's nothing wrong with supplements if they work for you, but personally I prefer getting protein (and other nutritional needs) from food if possible: Just so much more tasty and satisfying, not to mention the other nutrition that comes along for the ride with the protein. I can get the .6-.8 g/lb range (based on goal weight, which is the right value to use for protein) without too much stress, and I'm vegetarian (but probably smaller than you, since I'm a little old lady).
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for that! I'm glad to see eggs and cottage cheese at the top of the list. Those are two of my cheap, food-based go-tos for protein. Cottage cheese can usually get me there at the end of the day.