Sweet potato Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I bake them with some olive oil and rosemary, s & p.
    Just as they come out of the oven I sprinkle balsamic vinegar on them. (not too much or you'll over power them)

Someone above mentioned garam masala. This is a spice more people should discover!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I bake them with some olive oil and rosemary, s & p.
    Just as they come out of the oven I sprinkle balsamic vinegar on them. (not too much or you'll over power them)

Someone above mentioned garam masala. This is a spice more people should discover!
    This is the 2nd time someone mentioned balsamic vinegar..... That's my dressing for salads, so I'm curious. We are growing our own rosemary this year as well.. So, oil, rosemary and s&P in a bowl, wipe around sweet potato, then bake in oven?
    Then you sprinkle ....... 1 tsp ? over the skins?
    Then mash them up? or just mash it up then sprinkle it on.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    My Favorite is to bake it smash it up with a wedge of Laughing cow cheese (any flavor) Swiss is my favorite.

WHAT??? i just passed out from the thought of goodness!!! come on sunday im going food shopping :) i love you!
  • LadyKP
    LadyKP Posts: 31
    Options
    I like to slice them, boil them until they are slightly soft, and then add them to a stir fry. Top with Sarache Chili sauce and enjoy

Totally saving these other ideas! I love sweet potatoes :)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Two things I love to do with sweet potatoes and they both involve sweet/spicy flavors.

1) Sweet potato + black bean chili. This is criminally easy and vegetarian if you care about that. Roast a sweet potato. Squeeze out the guts (I then eat the skins on the spot. You could just cube the potato but I like it to be a mixable consistency for mine.) Add really good salsa (I use spicy fresh farmer's market salsa) and a can of low-sodium black beans. I top with 2 percent cheddar cheese (1/4 cup is plenty for me) and it's so yummy. If you needed the protein, I bet ground turkey/beef wouldn't be out of place in this dish.

2) I also love slicing sweet potatoes into wedges and then dusting them with no-salt chili powder. I bake them for about an 45 minutes (or so...I find it hard to overbake any kind of potato but I can't abide any of 'em underdone). I think these are great for/with breakfast!
  • littlerolo
    littlerolo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just made sweet potato and cinnamon muffins, haven't worked out how 'bad' they are yet but they smell great.
    Recipe: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6729/sweet-potato-muffins.aspx
    There's loads of american recipes for them and this is the first I've found with english measurements
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My wife likes them sweet with Butter and Honey. I like them savory with salt, pepper and garlic powder with Feta cheese. Also I like to mash them and mix in Feta, Butter, Havarti, Garlic, Salt & Pepper a little milk for the right consistency, then bake again for 20-25 mins. Mash skin and all, that's where the nutrients are. Good stuff.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know chili is more of a fall/winter dish but you could always keep it for later :wink:

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili for 2 from Eating Well

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, finely diced
    1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
    1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1 1/3 cups water
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    1 cup canned diced tomatoes
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    1.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and potato and cook, stirring often, until the onion is slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro; cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Reheat, stir in the cilantro and add more lime if desired.
    Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
    NutritionPer serving: 374 calories; 6 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 15 g fiber; 699 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (17% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 312

Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat