not losing any weight. . ideas please

Options
gabybvmfp
gabybvmfp Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok.. I've been working really hard at gym for almost a month. Taking care of what I eat. My friends tell me I look like I lost a lot of weight but the scale is not moving. Also the clothes fits much better . I'm not obsessed with scale cause that's not my goal. . But I would like to hear opinions about it. Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is my incredibly generic advice when someone isn't losing. If you want more specific ideas, it might help to set your diary to public or share some more details about your diet.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Tape measures trump scale weight. If your scale was hanging around your neck but I suspect it is not. So way to go!!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing most/all of your food with a food scale and choosing accurate MFP entries? It's very easy to wipe out a calorie deficit by eyeballing or using measuring cups (regardless of if the food is healthy).
  • gabybvmfp
    Options
    Lol! Thanks! And I'm doing all the above. I'm not freak out about losing weight but I'm curious about it :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    MK, awesome. Should be a sticky.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If your clothes fit better and measurements are better, then it's working. Give it more time to see the scale weight catch up with your progress. Scales measure much more than just fat, so as early on as you are, it's probably still the water from exercise or something masking your progress :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    gabybvmfp wrote: »
    Ok.. I've been working really hard at gym for almost a month. Taking care of what I eat. My friends tell me I look like I lost a lot of weight but the scale is not moving. Also the clothes fits much better . I'm not obsessed with scale cause that's not my goal. . But I would like to hear opinions about it. Thanks!

Can you tell me what you are doing at the gym?

Cardio?
    muscular?
    how long are your sessions?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    This is where having other measurable means to chart your progress are important. Take measurements, take pictures, and it will give you something to measure your progress in a measurable visible manner.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My cardiologist said any exercise but power walking. OP tape over scale. Doing well.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You will shortly receive responses saying that power walking will solve your problems. Please know power walking isn't the end all here.
    To lose weight, you must be in a calorie deficit. Get yourself a food scale, learn to weigh and log accurate . eat less and move more. Cico.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

This !
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking what you eat? Do you keep a MFP diary?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Cardio?
    muscular?

Absolutely doesn't matter what a person does at the gym. Weight loss is accomplished by eating at a deficit, whether one is exercising or not.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Cardio?
    muscular?

Absolutely doesn't matter what a person does at the gym. Weight loss is accomplished by eating at a deficit, whether one is exercising or not.

Sorry but I asked the OP a question, and not you.

Please mind your own business.

Thank you,
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Sometimes these threads are helpful to others besides the original poster.
    For example, when I first joined I was too afraid to post. So I lurked and lurked these forums. I was looking for answers to my questions , but was too shy to speak up.
    I would've definitely read a thread like this to try to figure out what was going on. But I wouldn't have posted anything .
    sometimes its just not all about the original poster. Facts have to be posted , even if the original poster is already aware of them. And nonfactual stuff must be pointed out, to prevent a newcomer or lurker from reading it and believing it.
    When I first joined, I read that carbs will make people gain weight and that people shouldn't eat them. Luckily , many posters chimed in and mentioned that low carb was not necessary unless the person had a medical condition and that a calorie deficit was all that was needed for weight loss .
    If those members didn't speak up And call out the nonsense then I would've definitely believed it. I didn't know any better. Many people start out not knowing anything and just like to lurk these threads to learn.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Sometimes these threads are helpful to others besides the original poster.
    For example, when I first joined I was too afraid to post. So I lurked and lurked these forums. I was looking for answers to my questions , but was too shy to speak up.
    I would've definitely read a thread like this to try to figure out what was going on. But I wouldn't have posted anything .
    sometimes its just not all about the original poster. Facts have to be posted , even if the original poster is already aware of them. And nonfactual stuff must be pointed out, to prevent a newcomer or lurker from reading it and believing it.
    When I first joined, I read that carbs will make people gain weight and that people shouldn't eat them. Luckily , many posters chimed in and mentioned that low carb was not necessary unless the person had a medical condition and that a calorie deficit was all that was needed for weight loss .
    If those members didn't speak up And call out the nonsense then I would've definitely believed it. I didn't know any better. Many people start out not knowing anything and just like to lurk these threads to learn.

+1
  • gabybvmfp
    Options
    If your clothes fit better and measurements are better, then it's working. Give it more time to see the scale weight catch up with your progress. Scales measure much more than just fat, so as early on as you are, it's probably still the water from exercise or something masking your progress :)

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I spend two hours at gym from Monday to Saturday
    I do HIIT twice a week

And I think it does matter what you do at gym
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I spend two hours at gym from Monday to Saturday
    I do HIIT twice a week

And I think it does matter what you do at gym

I asked about your exercise because I thought that if you where building muscle, it may explain why you look like you lost weight but weigh the same on the scale.