Protein bars

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've been making my own lately. Cheaper, easy, and I know exactly what is in them.

I've started making my own and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's so quick to whip up a batch of 8 of them. They get better with sitting, and I can make flavors that I've always wanted that they don't have. I've also managed to make the best peanut butter bar I've tasted so far. Certainly the most peanut-buttery for the least calories.

Tomorrow I'm picking up some vanilla protein powder and freeze dried blueberries from Trader Joe's to make some blueberry muffin bars.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm not partial to any particular brand although I like some more than others but I can tell you one to avoid: Carnivor. I had one of these things yesterday and not only did it look nothing like the photo (surprise surprise) it was the grossest protein bar I've ever tried and the only one I've thrown away before I ate all of it. I made it 1/2 way through and tossed it. guh-roce

proteinbar.jpg

• tsalagirose
    tsalagirose Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I really like the cookie dough and mint chocolate chip quest bars (although all of them are pretty darn good), I like zone perfect, larabar, and for the cheapest one I like the nature valley chocolate peanut butter bars( but they aren't exactly the greatest for you I know)
  • pecantree
    pecantree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quest bars!! Are absolutely amazing. Low in sugar and fat and high in protein and fiber
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    pecantree wrote: »
    Quest bars!! Are absolutely amazing. Low in sugar and fat and high in protein and fiber

Because of the high fiber content that Quest bars have I find that I have to drink a lot of water with them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I broke up with Quest after the formula change and started Combat Crunch. Much better in my opinion. And more expensive-go figure. I was on the Quest train for a long time...now they are poo
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've tried several flavors of Quest bars after the formula change and there's only one flavor I still like: chocolate brownie.

Yes, there's a difference but still enjoyable.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Have you had them recently since the formula change? They are disgusting and completely different in both taste and texture now.
  • tsalagirose
    tsalagirose Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

Because of the high fiber content that Quest bars have I find that I have to drink a lot of water with them.

do you heat them up for 15sec?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone has tried MuscleTech's Mission 1 bars.
  • hannahadrianna
    hannahadrianna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you like nuts, KIND bars are great. Not sure if you can get them everywhere though. They are at my local TARGET.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Just started using Oh Yeah One bars. They are close to what Quest use to be. Not as much fiber. But the Lemon Cake is so good.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Have you had them recently since the formula change? They are disgusting and completely different in both taste and texture now.

Everyone is saying that and I notice zero difference.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes. After hearing about them here, I picked up the Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, and Chocolate Brownie ones at GNC. I only ate the cookie dough one thus far. It was very chewy, but the flavor wasn't awful. However, it wasn't even half as good as a Quest bar.

peleroja wrote: »

I agree. I've had both versions of several Quest bars and there was minimal to zero difference. I still love Quest bars. Everyone has different tastebuds though, so maybe others can taste something we can't taste. A lot of people posted about how good Combat Crunch's Birthday Cake protein bar is and for me that was the worst protein bar I have ever tasted in my life and I've tasted at least 50 different bars. Abysmal.

Anyway, I have yet to find anything that comes close to how good Quest bars are. However, I only enjoy certain flavors of Quest bars and I'm not fond of the rest. I mentioned it in another thread about protein bars but there is a really good vegan soy/gluten free protein bar from this company called D's Naturals. I'm not vegan or gluten free, but it looked good and I was curious so I bought it. The flavor I tried was Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and I thought the taste and texture were absolutely delicious! I ended up ordering a sampler pack of the other protein bar flavors and samples of their two fluffbutters. I'm waiting for that to come so I can find out if their other products are just as good.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The new Quest Bar formula just isn't as good. I'm guessing they worried about the glucose spike some diabetics where having, which is why they switched the fiber source. I guess they feel that's a big part of their target market.

I've tried a few things since. Combat Crunch bars are pretty good. Almost too soft on the inside.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Yes. After hearing about them here, I picked up the Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, and Chocolate Brownie ones at GNC. I only ate the cookie dough one thus far. It was very chewy, but the flavor wasn't awful. However, it wasn't even half as good as a Quest bar.

peleroja wrote: »

I agree. I've had both versions of several Quest bars and there was minimal to zero difference. I still love Quest bars. Everyone has different tastebuds though, so maybe others can taste something we can't taste. A lot of people posted about how good Combat Crunch's Birthday Cake protein bar is and for me that was the worst protein bar I have ever tasted in my life and I've tasted at least 50 different bars. Abysmal.

Anyway, I have yet to find anything that comes close to how good Quest bars are. However, I only enjoy certain flavors of Quest bars and I'm not fond of the rest. I mentioned it in another thread about protein bars but there is a really good vegan soy/gluten free protein bar from this company called D's Naturals. I'm not vegan or gluten free, but it looked good and I was curious so I bought it. The flavor I tried was Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and I thought the taste and texture were absolutely delicious! I ended up ordering a sampler pack of the other protein bar flavors and samples of their two fluffbutters. I'm waiting for that to come so I can find out if their other products are just as good.

It's so weird to me as I have a pretty good palate (major hobby cook) so normally things like that would be immediately obvious. But I also tend to like the flavours other people don't (I prefer banana nut muffin, apple pie, cinnamon roll, and double chocolate chunk if I'm going to do chocolate - almost all the others seem very sweet to me) so maybe my Quest-bar tastebuds are broken.

Honestly, though, I don't really eat them because they taste good, I eat them because they've got 20g of protein and lots of fibre for 200 calories and they're an easy breakfast to bolt down with my morning coffee, so I might just not be paying much attention.

I've tried a lot of other bars and none of the ones with similar protein-to-calorie ratio have tasted any better to me, so I just stick with the Quest bars. I do think a lot of the Luna bars taste legitimately delicious, but they don't have nearly as much protein, so I just get one when I'm craving a granola or chocolate bar occasionally instead of using them as a protein source.
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    there is a really good vegan soy/gluten free protein bar from this company called D's Naturals. I'm not vegan or gluten free, but it looked good and I was curious so I bought it. The flavor I tried was Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and I thought the taste and texture were absolutely delicious! I ended up ordering a sampler pack of the other protein bar flavors and samples of their two fluffbutters. I'm waiting for that to come so I can find out if their other products are just as good.

Fabulous. I'm a (relatively) low carb vegan. The peanut butter chocolate chip and raspberry truffle are the best. The consistency takes a while to get used to but they helped me lose 23 pounds so far. The chocolate batter fluffbutter is to die for--it does taste like cake batter--, but the vanilla flavor doesn't excite me.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    powerbars market basket has them $1 each
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Combat Crunch (Cookies n Cream)
    Questbar (Pumpkin Pie)
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options