First time mom

Options
I am a first time mom and struggling to lose all of my pregnancy weight. I am almost 3 months post partum and have 20 lbs to go. I've only lost the 15 lbs I lost after delivery. My question is how do you find time to excercise? If I am am not changing the baby I'm breast feeding her, if I am not breast feeding her I am bottle feeding her. If I am not bottle feeding her I am pumping. If I am not pumping and washing all my pumping supplies.. I don't even have time to comb my hair anymore... I've tried going on walks but i swear all the stars and planets have to align just perfectly to make it happen. Maybe it's because I am a first time mom and I don't have things down yet but any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• djwashdown
    djwashdown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned 1, and my wife is back to her pre pregnancy weight. She did not workout, at all, just ate resonably well and breasfed. She put on about 40lbs, after the baby she had about 25lbs to go.

Give yourself a break. Taking care of an infant is really hard, and really exhausting, and frustrating at times.

Seriously, it is hard work.

If anything I would suggest to keep a realistic time frame in mind, so you don't get too frustrated. 7-12 months or so. Breast feed as long as you can, she lost a lot when baby was 7-10 months.

And enjoy your baby, only small for a little while !
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break and don't stress too much. You have loads of time to lose the weight and it will get easier. Soon you'll be out walking everyday or managing to do work out dvds whilst baby sleeps. I know it feels like this is how it will be forever but in a few weeks you'll look back and realise how much you have it together! I did 30 day shred workout dvd when by boy napped and walked as much as possible. Now my boys are older I bench press them, give them piggy backs, race them and today I spent
    Some time copying my 18 month old as he did some stretches - much to his delight!
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    time. i know its not what you want to hear. i was there too. frustrated with no time, no results. But once you get more into the groove of you and your baby it becomes easier. I always found it hard to eat right while breastfeeding cause i was constantly hungry!! always always hungry.
    I am now 14 months post partum and still have over 30 to go. not back considering i had over 60 after i had my son. I lost it all after i had my daughter and working on it now after my son. It will come. :)
    congratulations on being a mom!
  • dszepeda
    dszepeda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    dszepeda wrote: »
    I am a first time mom and struggling to lose all of my pregnancy weight. I am almost 3 months post partum and have 20 lbs to go. I've only lost the 15 lbs I lost after delivery. My question is how do you find time to excercise? If I am am not changing the baby I'm breast feeding her, if I am not breast feeding her I am bottle feeding her. If I am not bottle feeding her I am pumping. If I am not pumping and washing all my pumping supplies.. I don't even have time to comb my hair anymore... I've tried going on walks but i swear all the stars and planets have to align just perfectly to make it happen. Maybe it's because I am a first time mom and I don't have things down yet but any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! :)

As a mom of three kids, who have been through various parenting styles and experimenting until I found what worked, here is what I would (because this is what worked for me, and I understand it might not be what works for everyone).
    First, unless I needed to work or leave for other reasons the baby alone for more than a couple of hours daily, I would get rid of all bottles and pump. It hurts breastfeeding, it makes nursing take longer because the baby gets used to the nipple of the bottle, it takes time and energy to pump. Breastfeeding and bottle feeding are both good, the combination IMHO combines the hard parts of both.
    If you need to leave the baby, then it is a necessary evil, but if you can afford not to, I would lock the pump out of site and make life simpler.
    Second, weight loss will mainly happen from not overeating. Eat at maintenance and breastfeeding will create the deficit for you. Try not to give in to cravings, but do not go crazy restricting. And be patient.
    Exercise at this point is mainly so you can feel better, not lose a ton of weight doing it. Get a carrier and take the baby for walks, it will do both of you good if the weather allows it. Start small, just around the neighbourhood, so you do not have to take things with you, just yourself and the baby, no diapers, clothes etc.
  • sam_ibrahim13
    sam_ibrahim13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! Agree with PP. I'm 6 weeks postpartam with my second and I have 10lb till I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight, I put on 28lb during this pregnancy. I'm finding just eating only healthy choices and bf'ing I'm losing weight. There is no time for me to exercise yet. When they get older and into a routine you will find time, they have regular naps and bed times, although I usually spend that time cleaning! I've agreed with hubby that he will look after kids one evening a week next year so i can start spin. Perhaps your partner could look after you little one if you really want to find time to exercise.