Safe Calorie and Macro Targets

Options
Hello Everyone!

I am new to MFP and would like to set up my app so that I can lose weight safely!

I am 21 years old, 5'10", 240 lbs.

I tried figuring out my BMR and TDEE:
BMR is 2100 calories
TDEE is 3500 calories

First of all, are these values close?

I am lightly active during the day, with occasional moderate activity at work.
I started going to the gym last week, and am burning an average of 600 calories per day.
I go for 1 hr, 7 days a week.

My app suggested a calorie goal of 1,940...

So should I be consuming about:

2500 calories - 600 calories (exercise) = 1900 calories

to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit daily?
TDEE 3500 - 2500 calories = -1000

This would be 7000 calories a week, 2 lbs/wk!

Does this seem feasible? I have my activity set at active.
I am looking to lose 2 lbs/wk and my target weight is 185 lbs!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is give it a shot and adjust accordingly. Just be careful that you aren't overestimating your calories burned. I prefer to set myself up as sedentary and eat half of my exercise calories back OR set myself up as active and eat no exercise calories back. Either way, you're going to have to find your sweet spot through trial and error. And honestly, every few months I have had to reassess my calorie goal. I went from 261 in August 2014 to 183 today.
  • izmeandy1
    izmeandy1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I hope I can stick to it, I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my body! I'd prefer to consume the 1940 calories set as active and not deduct exercise. I'm going to try that I think :)
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Just pay attention to your body. Try and log as accurately as possible and don't try and do too much, too fast. It's easy to get overwhelmed and stressed. Try and master one thing at a time. Baby steps really worked for me :)
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi there I am new to MFP also and need to ask silly question but what is BMR and TDEE
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) What you burn just being you...
    TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) What you burn with activity and BMR...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    OP I think 2000 calories per day is a great place to start.

Shoot for a minimum of .8 gram per kilo of bodyweight for protein (100 grams per day is fine), a minimum of .35 gram per pound bodyweight for fat (85 grams) and fill in the rest with carbs...

100 grams protein x 4(there are 4 calories per gram of protein) = 400 cals
    85 grams fat x 9 (9 calories per gram) = 765
    400 + 765 = 1165 - 2000 = 835/4 (4 calories per gram carbs) = 210

So...
    2000 calories per day...
    100 grams protein
    85 grams fat
    210 grams carbs
    Numbers slightly rounded for easy math...
  • izmeandy1
    Options
    If I shoot for the 2000 calories, which is when I'm set as active, do I deduct exercise or no? And if I do 2000 calories, burn say 300, that's 1700. My BMR is 2100, won't i hurt my body?
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If 1940 is your calorie goal then try to meet it without counting excersie. (at least for the first bit) Your exercise will be a add weight loss bonus or cover you during dietary slip ups.

If you are having trouble staying under your calories then you are eating the wrong foods. For weight loss I would suggest adjusting your macros, lower your carbs to under 30% and you will see that you can eat alot more for less calories.

Calories are the focus but if all those calories are carbs, it'll take longer to lose.
  • izmeandy1
    Options
    Okay that makes a lot of sense! I'm going to try to stay with my workout regimen, do you recommend meal supplements? I've been doing the Special K meal bar and a banana for breakfast 259 cal, medium sized lunch around 700 cal, 400 cal snack around 4 pm with protein shake (23g), hour workout, protein recovery bar (20g) and a salad. My total is just under 2000 calories.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Just do your workouts, eat your 2000 calories per day and monitor your progress. Start there and adjust as you go...
  • izmeandy1
    Options
    Okay! Thank you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd say your BMR is overestimated there by around 200 calories

But yes 1900-2000 calories as a cut from TDEE sounds a good weight loss strategy ...that means you aren't following MFP method though so don't log exercise on top
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Since you are only lightly active other than your exercise calories, you probably shouldn't be set as active if you are planning on eating back your exercise calories. If you are going to go the TDEE route, you don't usually eat back your exercise calories, I believe.