Gluten free help

Options
My family is starting to go gluten free to help out our daughter with some health issues she is having. It is very confusing and i am looking everywhere for help. If anyone out there is gluten free can you drop a hint for me like what blogs are good or websites that have plain English talk. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My advice is to keep it simple. You probably eat many gluten free meals already. Potatoes, rice, meat/poultry/fish, beans, vegetables are all gluten free. You can always get gf breads and pastas, but you don't have to. Easy meals are things like soups, stews, chili, stuffed peppers, stir fry, etc. If you're not sure about something - check the label, particularly for marinades, dressings, and soy sauce should be subbed with tamari.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Look at low carb! That will resolve much of it!! :)
  • eliza8897
    eliza8897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from GF bread or pasta is you are watching your carbs or sugars. These are just as unhealthy. I do gf during the week. There are so many delicious foods that are gf. I do a lot with rice, veggies, chicken and fish, and always eggs for lunch
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Clean your kitchen to find places that might have bread crumbs that she would be sensitive to: toaster, silverware drawer, . . . Some people even react to gluten in cutting boards, Teflon, condiment jars in the fridge like mustard and mayo.
    Hubby and I buy Gluten Free soy sauce and keep a loaf of GF bread in the freezer, but mostly we eat very little bread. We eat rice as our main carb. Also we make a lot of dishes with beans.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free for health reasons as well. I have been for years now. It can be overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. The first thing you need to know is that gluten is not only in things that contain flour but can be hiding in many other things as well. You have to pay particular attention to sauces, dressings, soups and anything that might require a thickener. It's also in many candies. For this reason, I usually steer clear of pre-packaged foods. If you google "Is X gluten free?" you can find out quickly if something is or not.

The second thing you will find out is that gluten free substitutes for foods that normally contain gluten are expensive and usually taste pretty bad. I keep a supply of GF pasta on hand (corn based is better than rice) and a loaf of GF bread in the freezer, but I only eat them on occasion. Most of my meals are prepared from scratch using things that are naturally gluten free like potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc. I also keep a GF flour mix on hand and corn starch for thickening things.

Feel free to have a look at my diary for ideas.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am like others here: I don't usually use replacement items. Most are not worth it. I do grind down gf oatmeal in my blender into flour to do oatmeal cookies, and I love black bean pasta the brand I use is just beans and water for ingredients. But other than that I don't replace items I just cook differently. Oatmeal(gf), potatoes, rice. Tons of veggies, protein with no breading. It is harder eating in public but can be done. I avoid gluten because of migraines not as severe a health issue as many gf people so I don't worry about possible cutting board contamination and such but those are all get good points. What I usually do in restaurant is to ask for grilled chicken/meat with no sauces and if I get a salad I ask if it is possible for me to see the bottle so I can read ingredients. If that is not possible I just ask for an oil and vinegar dressing and hope for the best. Lucky I don't eat out often.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @youngmomtaz - I often take a little container of my own dressing to restaurants with me. For bottled dressings, I like the Litehouse and Bolthouse Farms yogurt based dressings. At home I usually make my own vinegarette.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost 18 years ago. After many years experience, I don't really consult blogs or anything anymore.

I also concur whole-heartedly with the advice to build your menus around dishes that are naturally gluten-free. Just use potatoes, beans, rice, and corn for your starches. There's a world of cuisine out there built around foods that don't inherently contain gluten.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I think buying gluten free substitutes is easier than trying to make them from scratch. I think it took me about a year to find even a biscuit recipe that I liked and could make consistently edible.

Udi's is my favorite brand for bread and muffins. Glutino has decent English muffins (nothing I have found gluten free is REALLY like a good English muffin) Tinkyada is my favorite for pasta (brown rice), though Ancient Harvest is ok too. The Bisquick gluten free pancake mix is a good mix for recipes that just call for a little flour - like a gravy or soup, makes good pancakes too. Vitacost.com has a lot of gluten free options if you prefer shopping online or have limited availability in local stores (follow the menu for "food & beverages" under "specialty foods" they have a "gluten-free" section).

Read the labels/allergy warnings for everything packaged - it amazes me how many foods have wheat in them that really have no business having wheat in them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, naturally gluten-free foods will be the easiest. For GF substitutes we use Udi's bread, Bragg's soy sauce, and brown rice noodles (don't over cook them -yuck).

Celiac.com fourms have a lot of helpful people who are happy to help with GF ideas ad tips.

Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Rice Chex cereal is GF and convenient.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If your daughter is coeliac then I believe she is entitled to gluten free food on prescription. Her GP might be a good person to speak to first and they may be able to point you in the right direction.
  • lreints
    lreints Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten free after finding out both my boys have celiac disease. I agree with most about cooking around things that are naturally gluten free with the exception of pasta. We buy barilla or ronzoni and it's usually a couple bucks per box and my family doesn't even notice the difference. We eat quinoa a lot too because I freakin love it. Make sure to also check her supplements/medicines and spices. There are so many foods that we already eat that are gluten free. Add me if you would like. I have a shared diary and can share any recipes that you think sound good :)
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I try to eat gluten free because I am gluten intolerant. Occasionally I have some bread when I'm weak. There are lots of recipes on Pinterest...but I've never had success baking my own. But I have read a report saying that there are long term issues with not eating gluten (certain deficiencies) so unless you are the one who has the gluten issues, you shouldn't exclude it from your diet. I commend you for trying to make it easier for your daughter though. I remember as a girl I wasn't allowed to eat meat, dairy or chocolate and the rest of my family was eating all of that. It felt very unfair but I got through it and your daughter will too.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above saying that you should build your main meals around dishes that are naturally gluten free. It will save you a ton of money in the long run, and it's generally healthier. Overly processed junk food is what got a lot of us here on MFP in the first place.

That said, gluten free food has come a long way in terms of availability and quality in recent years. Sami's Bakery makes the most amazing gluten free breads and bagels. They're based in Florida, but they do ship, and some health food stores carry their products. Udi's is another mainstay brand. Pamela's makes really good cookies and baking mixes. Cup 4 Cup is another brand of flour that has a really good gluten free whole grain blend. The mixture of brown rice and flax in it gives it a really nutty and naturally sweet flavor that pairs well in muffins and such.

I will say that if you get any gluten free pasta, don't get any made from corn flour. It may be cheap, but it tastes terrible. You'll be throwing your entire dish into the trash. Brown rice and bean flour pastas may cost more, but they taste much better and they are healthier. Jovial makes good brown rice pastas and Explore Asian, Modern Table, and Banza all make great bean flour pastas.

Also, be careful of cross contamination. Don't use the toaster for gluten free bread if it has been used for regular bread and has not been thoroughly cleaned. Don't share cutting boards or utensils for the regular and gluten free stuff. The cross contamination factor is enough to give some people with powerful enough celiac disease horrible reactions. Be careful with other grains like oats as well. Oats themselves are naturally gluten free, but they are often processed in facilities that also process (and share equipment with) wheat.

Overall, it's certainly an adjustment, but it's a much easier transition to go gluten free nowadays than it was a decade ago. Find a menu and some products that work for you guys and you'll be fine.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    A few ingredients to watch out for: soy sauce, barley, malt, oats, rye etc
  • RodaRose
    Options
    A few ingredients to watch out for: soy sauce, barley, malt, oats, rye etc

Right, no beer. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes, do take care with oats. While oats are themselves gluten free, they have to be grown on dedicated fields (oats are often grown as a rotation crop with gluten containing grains and previous year volunteers make their way into the oat harvest) and processed on clean equipment to be kept gluten free. Only buy certified gluten free oats.

If you live near Trader Joe's, they have good, affordable gluten free oats. I think Chex is offering rolled gluten free oats now too. Bob's Red Mill is always a reliable brand as well. Just make sure you're getting their gluten free line. They also offer gluten free steel cut oatmeal.
  • lreints
    lreints Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I should say too...I myself don't NEVER eat gluten...just not in my house. I eat ignore all the time and then make sure to wash my hands/face and brush my teeth in case I kiss my boys or they kiss me. I have one who is SUPER sensitive.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    eliza8897 wrote: »
    I'd stay away from GF bread or pasta is you are watching your carbs or sugars. These are just as unhealthy. I do gf during the week. There are so many delicious foods that are gf. I do a lot with rice, veggies, chicken and fish, and always eggs for lunch

Compare with the regular on the shelf store bread, my Udi's whole grain bread has the same amount of fat, carbs, sugar, and calories per 2 slices. Gluten free bread is not unhealthy at all, it's what you put on it that matters. ;) I've been Gluten free due to Celiacs disease for 3 years now and haven't gained one pound from eating Gluten free bread, or pasta. I weigh my pasta out on a food scale, though, and don't add much to it.